POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23735
  • Latest: g.pikup
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642813
  • Total Topics: 48901
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is this from the meds???  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Nygurl225

Is this from the meds???
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:10:38 PM »
I hope I'm not posting a question that has already been answered here. I searched the forums and haven't seen this question yet so if I am repeating anything I apologize. Currently I am on Trizivir. The first thing I (well a friend pointed it out to me) noticed was a thinning of my face. My cheek bones seem to be more prominent then usual. The next thing I noticed was a slight amount of reddening on my face sometimes. Usually around my chin and mouth. My Big round Latin butt seems to have lost it's shape.  I am experiencing bouts of excessive fatigue and muscle aches in my legs. Has anyone else experienced any of these effects from Trizivir??

These effects are hard for me to deal with being that I am a very active person for one and two....I'm a bit vain. I'm young and have always been considered attractive so to look in the mirror and see these changes really takes a toll on my confidence level.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Is this from the meds???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:46:58 AM »
Hello

Trizivir contains three drugs - AZT, 3TC and abacavir.

AZT can cause fat loss, and also fatigue (sometimes because of anaemia) and muscle pain (myalgia).

The AZT may well be causing you a slow, long grief, and speaking to your doc about changing to something else may be a good idea. After stopping AZT, lost fat often returns in time and fatigue etc resolves. 

There are good reasons to be off AZT long term eg effect on heart muscles. 

Obviously, new drugs may = new side effects. As 3TC and abacavir come in one tablet called Epzicom, you could get a new combination without changing too much, therefore reducing the opportunity for new side effects.

Hope this helps.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:01:33 AM »
Thank you so much, it does help. I was getting worried because everytime I report these effects to my doctor they would tell me that they've had nothing but great results with this drug. Pretty much they make me feel like I'm going crazy. Either I'm the only one having these effects or  nobody is seriously reporting it to my doctor. I was begining to question weather or not I was feeling this way due to the meds or if it was "just me".  I'm pregnant now and I think the plan is to take me off the meds 6 weeks after I give birth. My numbers are great so there is no need for me to be on anything. This is just a precaution to ensure that my baby is born neg.

They tell me I will be on IV AZT in the hospital when i give birth. I wonder if this will cause more intense effects..since they will be pumping me full of the stuff!! Gosh, seems like your damned if you do damned if you don't with these drugs. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:07:54 AM by Nygurl225 »

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »
Hey, Doctors will be Doctors. They operate in the sphere of their understanding. And its not that they aren't listening, they are always sorting problems and categorizing them based upon their experience and their practice.

You the patient knows what is happening! If you feel your doctor isn't listening to you, you actually have to say it and measure their response. I like to think when they are evaluating you as a patient, we need to be evaluating them as a doctor.

You may also want to post your question and comment in the Positive Woman forum on this page. As you are pregnant, I'm sure sure there are other woman out there who may have a better understanding of your situation and can provide perspective.

If the AZT combo they have you on is essentially temporary and because your pregnant, this may in fact be the "correct" treatment for your situation. That does not make it less distressing that lipo affects are occurring. But if the plan is to move you to a different less lipid impacting combination, that may be the key in dealing with the changes you are experiencing. What is important to find out in my opinion is if in fact that is the plan your doctor has for you. Certainly, if you do not like the affects of your current drug combo, there are other options that may be better for you in the future or even now. Even though the doctor is telling you how well the combo is working in general, the fact that he is pushing an AZT combo is an interesting take on front line treatment. Of course there is no perfect treatment today. But if you can avoid Lipo affects, I would hope the doctors would be altering their treatment to try to mitigate this side effect. If your doctor doesn't think Lipo issues are important, and they are to you, then you may have to make a change in your doctor. That may not be a good thing at the moment because of your pregnancy. But after your Baby is born, you may have to take a hard look at your doctor and have a "real" conversation about what your concerns are for yourself, and what you are looking for in treatment.

Best of Luck!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:14:26 AM by risred1 »
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 02:15:27 PM »
Thank you for your input. I agree with you. I am sticking this out because from what I have been told this treatment is one of very few which have not shown to have effects on unborn children (although this is still new and who knows what the future holds). My doctor is an OB/GYN who specializes in HIV and pregnancy. Its a hard situation since I have ultimatly been given the option to tolerate side effects or risk the health of my unborn child. As any mother would do....I tolerate the side effects. But it has not been easy. My face and skin look like hell which is hard for me because being a young (25) attractive (at least until the meds) woman, as many women do I have always taken pride in my looks. Not to mention that the fatigue is horrible, I have always been a very active person.

I guess after I give birth I will ask to switch my meds if I still need to be on them. I must say I am thankful for others who understand where I am comming from. This has been a very chaotic couple of months. I was told I was pregnant, and HIV pos within 2 months of eachother. Then went from being symptomless to sometimes bed ridden from fatigue and from a healthy looking person to a thin person with shitty skin. It's all been alot to take in at once.

I guess I just count my blessings right now. My health isn't bad (except for med side effects) and my children and family are healthy. Thats all I can ask for.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »

These effects are hard for me to deal with being that I am a very active person for one and two....I'm a bit vain. I'm young and have always been considered attractive so to look in the mirror and see these changes really takes a toll on my confidence level.

Someone on this site asked if 3TC could cause Lipo symptoms, whereas the conventional wisdom is D4T is a more likely culprit (not in your regimen). I took only 3TC and D4T and DID get Lipo after well over 2 years on meds. Both set of cheeks suddenly lost fat. I was previously treatment-naive. There is lots and lots of info and discussion here on Lipo.

No reason to apologize for your vanity. Pride and vanity are cousins. A little pride serves you well. As for AZT, I am generally anti-AZT except for pregnancy---where it is very effective. I would think a change in meds after birth might be a good course of action (not changing meds "willy-nilly").

8)  -megasept
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:32:25 PM by megasept »

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:59:41 PM »
I too was naive to meds before this so I don't know much about them. This is still a very new diagnosis for me. May i ask why you are anti AZT??

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
I too was naive to meds before this so I don't know much about them. This is still a very new diagnosis for me. May i ask why you are anti AZT??

Toxicity.

8)  -megasept

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.