Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:11:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 507
Total: 509

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk is low but weird symptoms  (Read 9469 times)

Offline 123kid

Risk is low but weird symptoms
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:56:52 pm »
A little over 14 weeks ago I had condom protected vaginal sex & unprotected oral. I didn't know the woman well, just that she was separated and her husband messed around on her. Vaginal sex didn't last long, maybe 15-30 secs tops (her on top). She also mentioned she was having her period, but that it was very light.
She told me she didn't have HIV before & afterwards when I asked, but I don't know if she's ever been tested. I know she has two small kids, so I'm guessing she has.

The condom didn't appear to have broken (I'm told it would be obvious), but it was a little dark and I didn't look too hard. I asked her and she said it never broke.

I wasn't too worried at the time because I figured I had been pretty much safe.

6 weeks & 4 days later had my jaw swell pretty big while eating, it went away mostly by the next day and remained very slight for a little while. I wasn't too worried about this, I had it happen once a year before while I was eating too.

This time I decided to see the doc, he gave me antibiotics and I also asked for an HIV test. My test was taken at 7 weeks (50 days) and was negative.

The antibiotics gave me diereah after the first day for about seven days. Also at 7 weeks 4 days I started feeling neck/under arms pains. I had a gland below my ear swell slightly (doc confirmed but said it was nothing to worry about... I still have it), rest I can't say for sure as I never really felt around before. Pains went away after a week, I thought everything might have been from antibiotics. I had a slightly warm head here and there, but nothing constant or that I would have noticed had I not kept feeling my head.

After I stopped the antibiotics I got bad diereah again, this time it wasn't as watery, just loose stool and frequent trips to the bathroom (I also have ulcerative colitis). Doc said it was probably from the antibiotics or a UC flare. It started at week 9 and lasted about 2 weeks then started getting much better.

At 12 weeks I started getting pains in the back of my head/neck. It started with pain in the middle back of my head, felt around and found a long bump. Then my neck started getting sore, I couldn't really tell if they were lymph nodes swelling there or not. But it was painful and I could sorta see slight indentations on my neck if streched it.
This has been going on for slightly over two weeks. I also had underarm/groin pain but nothing I can confirm as swollen.
Two days ago I was having pain not far from my temple, in front of my ear, after a while I felt a bump appeared

That's the way it works if I do feel something. I usually look at pics of where lymph nodes are located after I feel the pain to see if indeed there is a lymph node there.

Up until the 6th week, I didn't really have symptoms. Maybe loose stool once or twice and maybe a slightly warm head here and there with sweating at night (but it was during the summer so might have been from weather).

It seems that most of the pain I've been having is starting to go away. I know my risk is low.

I was thinking maybe the condom was stored in bad conditions before I used it but I think that would only cause it to be more likely to break.

I'm also told that my 7 week test would have shown if I was indeed infected. And that the symptoms I had started too late or would have appeared on my first test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Risk is low but weird symptoms
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:58:50 pm »
kid,

Your risk wasn't low, it was non-existant. You did not have a risk for hiv infection. Your test was negative because you do not have hiv. You do not need further testing over this incident.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 123kid

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:30:33 am »
Do my head/neck pain/bumps (possible lymph node enlargement) seem like symptoms?
It's weird because its been going on for 2-3 weeks and after 7 & 1/2 weeks began again at 12.

Maybe it's just stress or just the baths I had been taking a few weeks prior to it beginning at 12 weeks.

I was thinking the same thing as you though, I did use a condom... and as long as it didn't obviously break (duration of vaginal was very short too) I should have no problems.

Offline 123kid

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:55 pm »
Also, if they were swollen, would it be super noticeable?
Like where I could tell without having to feel around.

Now my neck is just a little stiff.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:15:35 pm »
Nothing you have mentioned was a risk for HIV. Your symptoms are unrelated to HIV. Only a doctor can diagnose swollen lymph nodes.

Offline 123kid

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 03:29:50 pm »
Nothing you have mentioned was a risk for HIV. Your symptoms are unrelated to HIV. Only a doctor can diagnose swollen lymph nodes.

yeah, i know you're right. I guess I'll just try some neck excersises or a heat pad and see how that goes.

I have no other problems/symptoms really.

Offline 123kid

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:29:54 am »
I'm sorry to bother you guys but I have one more question.

Last night I noticed my underarm might be slightly swollen, there's sort of a lump on the left side that wasn't there before (and isn't under my other arm).

Would it be too early after ars to have nodes swell so soon (week 12-15)? I used a heat pad for the back/front of neck though, it feels better today.

And the condom I used, was a thinner one I think (latex though). I put it on, but she took it off me, I kinda looked at it from my angle and it didn't seem broken. She wanted to reuse the same condom after oral, so I don't think it broke. (i didn't reuse it or do anything else). I also had some bad hickies but no bleeding or anything.

Do my symptoms sound anything like what would actually be happening if I had been infected or am I totally off?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:32:25 am »
You never had a risk so it has nothing to do with ARS. If you have a concern for your underarm, see your doctor.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:23 pm »
Kid, you're not listening to us. You're listening to your fears. You didn't do anything that put you at risk for HIV transmission. You used a condom. They provide very effective protection.

You're just coming up with a lot of what ifs and tying them into your symptoms, which of course are not in any way HIV specific. As Rod has suggested, discuss them with your doctor. This is NOT an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline 123kid

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »
I'm sorry again guys.

This morning I awoke with pain under me right arm pit. I felt around and found that it was slightly swollen in the back corner of my armpit. It's sorta painful without even touching it, I went to the gym last night so I thought it might be a hurt muscle or something but it feels like the pain I had under my other armpit before when it became slightly swollen (still swollen but no pain) and it's in the exact area a lymph node would be.

The node I had below my ear (on my neck) is starting to go away after 9 weeks. It's decreased in size about 75% so I think it will be gone in another week or two... so that's my good news lol.

So you guys are pretty sure I could not have contracted HIV by using a condom for vaginal & unprotected oral?

If I did have HIV could I still be having new nodes swelling at 17 weeks?

Liike I said once, when I logically think about it I don't see how I could have it. The girls ex husband would have had to have it then her and I would have had to caught it threw the condom or by oral (as long as the condom didn't break) and then have my 50 day hiv test be inacurate (i've read nearly everyone tests positive by 6 weeks).

If all the swelling I've recently been having since my encounter is not related to HIV, then I'm not really too worried about it. I don't recall ever having this type of swelling but I never really felt around when I got pain in areas and I usually have physicals every year (last time was dec last year).

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:55:35 pm »
You don't have HIV. If you feel ill see your doctor.

MtD

Offline 123kid

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:11:42 pm »
I also forgot to mention, i have a some swelling above my collar bone on my left side. It's sorta squishy and long like a short piece of string. I first noticed it at about the end of the 7th week since the sexual contact (a little after swollen lymph appeared under ear on neck). I don't know if it was always there, but the other side is not swollen/raised like that.

This happened about 3-5 days after starting antibiotics. It's still here 2 months later though like I said my neck node is going down.

I was just wondering again, if my nodes were to swell due to HIV/ARS symptoms, would they have swollen all over at once (1-2 days) or continued to swell here & there for months.
I never really was sick since I did what I did with the girl, I might have had a very slight fever at about 7-8 weeks but it wasn't constant and would come & go... wouldn't have really noticed if hadn't been paranoid.

So you guys are telling me you're sure I could not have become infected? There's a girl I'm interested in, but I hesitate due to the swollen lymph nodes I believe I am experiencing.

The girl I had sex with a few months ago was the first girl I really ever had vaginal sex with (although very brief 10-30 sec tops) lol. Oral before but only really with a condom.

I think back to all the times I never really got past fooling around with girls I didn't know very well for this exact reason (heck even ones i knew) and think what are the chances of it happening the one time I actually didn't listen to my head and went along lol. I know I should have chosen someone I knew better & trusted, but I didn't. Figured I'd be safe enough with what I did that I just wanted to try it once lol.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:19:33 pm »
Your fears and symptoms notwithstanding, this not an HIV situation. Really. See your doctor about your symptoms.

And keep those latex condoms handy for when you get around to having intercourse again.

Nothing you have done has put you at risk for HIV transmission.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline 123kid

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 03:06:26 pm »
I've now had more swelling under my arm pit. It seems like 3-4 areas under left side, & 1 or 2 under the right underarm along with a few I've had on my neck previously.

Also near my elbow, the inside area where the crease is (inside where arm bends), I now have some swelling... it's sort of the area where they'd draw blood out for a test but slightly more towards me if I lay my elbow down on the desk with the crease area facing up. I'm not even sure if there is a lymph node in the area, but I felt some pain there and rubbed it, noticing that it was slightly raised.

Like I said before if it wasn't because of the swelling/pain, I'd have no problems... but I'm pretty sure it's not in my head. The ones in the armpit others can see if I point them out.

Is it possible to have lymph nodes swell 12-18/19 weeks after an HIV infection? Assuming that ars had occured for me during end of week 6 to week 9.

I'd go to my doc, but I know once he sees the swellings he's going to test me again.

I'm sorry it's just really bothering me, I don't know what else could be causing all this swelling. I've been having pains in my groin area, but no swelling I can see.

I keep trying to ignore everything in hopes that it goes away, but every time I get over it something else swells. I know it's not due to stress.

Has anyone ever seen a case like mine that was due to HIV? I still can't figure out how I'd catch it if the condom didn't break & oral is not really possible.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 03:15:59 pm »
HEY!

HEY!

HEY!

You're STILL not listening. We tell you that you weren't at risk for HIV and you simply go right on about your symptoms.

I am not questioning that you have physical symptoms. We're simply saying THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIV.

You need to work with your doctor(s) to determine what the real cause(s) might be. It's not HIV. Period. End of Story.

If you just keep coming back with the same insistence that it's about HIV you're going to end up getting a time out. We can't do anything more for you here. This is an HIV site and you don't have HIV. Be glad of that and move on to get help for your symptoms in the appropriate medical setting.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.