POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 05:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650477
  • Total Topics: 49664
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ALTERNATIVE HIV TREATMENTS  (Read 1917 times)

Offline aronross78

ALTERNATIVE HIV TREATMENTS
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:26:47 AM »
I have a question. I have never been on meds before, but my viral load is getting up into the 100,000 range. My doctor said I may start thinking about meds. I have decided I want to hold off as long as I can, but I was curious if anyone out there has ever tried any alternative treatment. herbs, those sorts of things. just curious. Is there anything to help my viral load go down without having to starts the regular meds? just curious.

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: ALTERNATIVE HIV TREATMENTS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:38:53 AM »
Hello Aron,

and welcome to the forums!

Alternative treatments threads appear regularly here as lots of us seek or have sought to avoid haart or try to offset side effects with complementary medicine or supplements. I would suggest you use the search function located near the upper left hand corner of the forums page and type "alternative" as a query. I am quite sure you will find a lot of information in the threads found, about what seems to help and also the latest in quackery.

Hope this helps

Pat

PS: When you have the time, let us know a bit more about yourself so we get to know you better :)
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:47:18 AM »
Hi Aron

Welcome to the forum....I had this tucked away in my paper work, I got it from the Net some time ago but can't remember what site it was from...not sure if it's what you are looking for

Hugs
Jan 

Many people use complementary (sometimes known as alternative) health treatments to go along with the medical care they get from their doctor.

These therapies are called "complementary" therapies because usually they are used alongside the more standard medical care you receive (such as your doctor visits and the anti-HIV drugs you might be taking).

They are sometimes called "alternative" because they don't fit into the mainstream, Western ways of looking at medicine and health care. These therapies may not fit in with what you usually think of as "health care."

Some common complementary therapies include:

Physical (body) therapies, such as yoga, massage, and acupuncture

Relaxation techniques, such as meditation and visualization

With most complementary therapies, your health is looked at from a holistic (or "whole picture") point of view. Think of your body as working as one big system. From a holistic viewpoint, everything you do--from what you eat to what you drink to how stressed you are--affects your health and well-being.

Do these therapies work?

Healthy people use these kinds of therapies to try to make their immune systems stronger and to make themselves feel better in general. People who have diseases or illnesses, such as HIV, use these therapies for the same reasons. They also can use these therapies to help deal with symptoms of the disease or side effects from the medicines that treat the disease.

Many people report positive results from using complementary therapies. In most cases, however, there is not enough research to tell if these treatments really help people with HIV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »
Hey Aaron,

Welcome to the forums.

In regard to alternative therapies, I am sorry to say, the only method of keeping the virus at bay are the ARVs. To my knowledge, there are no alternatives that work.

Now, i use some herbs and other types of treatment along with my ARVs, which is usually referred to as complimentary therapy. To date, I think some of it has helped keep me from experiencing some of the problems the meds can cause. Of course, it could all be in my head too.

Check in with us and let us know how things are going.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »
Hey aronross78, you asked:

Is there anything to help my viral load go down without having to starts the regular meds?

Here's your answer: No. Only proper FDA-approved meds reduce viral load. In adding to Mark's post above, the word complimentary is better than alternative. "Alternative", by definition, implies that one is willing to refute proven anti-HIV meds in favor of something else and that's a recipe for disaster. I know first-hand because I rolled the dice after my diagnosis in 2000. Are you scared of meds? Let us know, we'll hold your hand. Lots of people are/were scared of meds (I was terrified to the point of denial (not the river in Egypt)) so please realize if you're scared, you're not alone

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:29:31 PM »
There is one thing you can consider, and it may be the cause of your Viral Load to Spike.

If you have intestinal Parasites, such as Blastocystis hominis, it is possible that the immune response driven by the parasites is fueling your VL spike.

This did actually happen to me with a bout with Blasto, and my VL did literally jump into the 50k region. After successful treatment, my VL did come back down where it has been hovering in the teens.

Small incremental improvement or stabilization may also be possible with a full array of supplements which may boost your immune function in a manner that may provide some incremental change, but I would not be optimistic that you can get VL to drop significantly with Supps alone.

I know I'm playing a different tune, but I do fundamentally agree, that there is a time for meds. While I have made full use of supplements over the last 2 years, i have been able to only stablize my VL. I never approached a truly significant change on supps, only when I was treated with Antibiotics for the Blasto, did my VL drop to previous levels. My view of my supplementation is to keep my energy and CD4 up, my HIV induced diarrhea under control, and my Liver enzymes low. I believe the supplements are helping in those regards. But they don't seem to lower VL significantly.

Good luck and has been stated previously, this forum will help you with the transition to meds. i know I'll be making use of it when it is time.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.