POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 12:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635398
  • Total Topics: 48196
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Shingled Out In A Crowd  (Read 2383 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Shingled Out In A Crowd
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
I just went to a little local picnic-type get together, but made a bit of a hasty retreat.  One of the folks there declared that she was currently experiencing a recurrence of a nasty bout with shingles.  She said she thought they were going away, but that they were beginning to flare up again and she was going to have to call her doctor for some more medicines.  She said she was currently able to attend thanks to still having a pain pill or two left from the recent onset.

There are several younguns running about, which made me wonder two things:

1.  Aren't some of these kids subject to possible troubles from this exposure if they haven't had chicken pox?

2.  How much of a potential problem might this exposure be for me due to the HIV? 

I have had shingles in the past year...and a big ''no thanks'' to going through that again anytime soon.  (I'm actually pretty suprised they didn't resurface in recent weeks when I was going through all this suicide mess with Michael.)  Is exposure to someone with an active case of shingles particularly risky for someone with a compromised immune system like myself?  This would be a fairly casual exposure, mind you...just proximity.  I feel like I should know the answer to this already, but I don't.

Advice?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Tim Horn

Re: Shingled Out In A Crowd
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »
Hi Tim:

1.  Aren't some of these kids subject to possible troubles from this exposure if they haven't had chicken pox?

A lot of kids these days have been vaccinated against chicken pox -- the vaccine was approved in 1995. Of course, there are some kids that haven't been vaccinated and haven't otherwise had chicken pox, which means they're potentially at risk. Fortunately, as this was a picnic -- and I'm assuming it was held outside -- the risk of airborne transmission is technically lower (hence the reason why chicken pox is much more common in winter). And provided that this person's varicella blisters were under wrap, the risk of contact with the blister fluid was likely minimal. 

2.  How much of a potential problem might this exposure be for me due to the HIV? 

Shingles is one of those manifestations that usually results from a flare up of existing VZV infection, not typically re-exposure to someone else's infection. VZV lingers in the body after childhood chicken pox. It tends to remain dormant in nerve roots and, in most cases, only becomes active -- and cause shingles -- when the immune system becomes compromised (even slightly). The biggest threat to you is the VZV currently in your body, not somebody else's infection.

Hope this helps,

Tim Horn 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:08:20 PM by Tim Horn »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »
Thanks very much.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
EDIT: Sorry, it didn't tell me someone else had posted or I just clicked without looking.  ;D

from wiki:

"Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, VZV, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has no immunity to the virus by direct contact with the rash, while in the blister phase. The person exposed would then develop chicken pox, not shingles. The virus is not spread through airborne transmission, such as sneezing or coughing. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious. A person is not infectious before blisters appear or with post-herpetic neuralgia (pain after the rash is gone)."

You have to have had chicken pox to get shingles, but it does sound like it would go in the opposite direction too, so it might be problematic for the kids; but only if they were directly exposed.

----------
I had shingles break out on my hip once while I was recovering from PCP. ::)

However, for the last 15 years, I've had a case of herpes zoster (shingles) in, of all places, the middle finger of my left hand. About 6 times a year, it'll flare up in my finger, although it has spread down to my palm several times. Right now, I'm having an outbreak in my palm again. This is like the 12th time this year now. The doc gave me acyclovir but it doesn't really seem to ever affect this infectiion; it's just another med that makes me puke sometimes. LOL
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
Interesting... so VZV from someone with shingles isn't airborne, whereas VZV from someone with chicken pox is.

Guess you learn something every day.

Tim Horn

Offline leatherman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:06:32 PM »
Interesting... so VZV from someone with shingles isn't airborne, whereas VZV from someone with chicken pox is.

Since I don't remember when my brothers and I had the pox (way too long along LOL), and since I don't have kids, I hadn't realized that either. So I went on googling. My thought was that perhaps kids with the pox had a cough as a symptom, which would spread the VZV. However, that doesn't seem to be a symptom; but it's only during the inital infection stage of chicken pox that it can be spread air-borne.

here's a general quote after the inital VZV infection:
"Chicken pox is spread by both direct contact with an infected person and through air borne spread of respiratory secretions. Since infected persons are contagious for 1-2 days before they even develop a rash, your child may have been exposed to someone with chicken pox without knowing. You can also get chicken pox after having direct contact with someone who has shingles or herpes zoster, a reactivation of chicken pox.

About two days later, your child will develop an itchy rash consisting of small red bumps that start on the scalp, face and trunk and then spread to the arms and legs (but may also occur in the mouth and genitalia). The bumps then become blisters with clear and then cloudy fluid, and then become open sores and finally crust over within about twenty four hours, but your child will continue to get new bumps for about four more days."
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
    • The Spin Cycle
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »
My last employer was under the same impression and felt it her duty to keep my off the payroll indefinitely as a result.

I had been given a return to work note from my doc after the blisters had stopped spreading and had scabbed over (about 10 days). In her infinite wisdom, she erred on the side of caution (if that's what baseless fear can be labeled these days) and starved me out. Talk about kicking a man when he was down.

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

The revolutionary smart set reads The Spin Cycle at least once every day.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline leatherman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »
Talk about kicking a man when he was down.

Damn, dude. That's rough. She's a bitch.

Years before I caught hiv, I was the third person in my retail store to show up with hep b. You should've seen the personnel chick freak  :o when I came in on a break to show her my yellow eyes.  ;D (then again, I was doing it with the assit mgr and he was doing it with another guy on our crew, and they were both already off work with it  ;) ) Lucky me just had "flu like" symptoms for a week. It was a bitch dancing at the club. They didn't have it so great, and were laid up in bed for a couple of months each.

Ah, memories.  ;D

edited to add: but we all did eventually get to go back to work.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:57:27 PM by leatherman »
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:52:26 PM »
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/dis-faqs.htm

The wikipedia article is a copy of an older cached cdc article which has been modified. The wikipedia article doesn't mention the cdc article.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline leatherman

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 01:24:46 AM »
here's the link then to chicken pox
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/dis-faqs-gen.htm

Chicken pox is air-borne; Shingles isn't.  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline northernguy

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
So am I correct that if today's kids have been vaccinated against chicken pox, they'll never get shingles if they become HIV+?  Lucky, if so.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.