Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Test results not what I expected

(1/6) > >>

aztecan:
I visited the doc today to find out about a couple of people and, while there, was given some news about the outcome of my CT scan.

The doc handed me a print out from the doctor who examined the test results. It states:

"Impression
Fatty infiltration of liver. Otherwise, essentially normal CT scan of the abdomen."

It noted, in more detail that all the organs, save the liver, look normal.

The doc also gave me a printout that talks about this situation. It even has a name.

Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis

Sounds interesting, doesn't it?

"Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH, is a common, often 'silent' liver disease. It resembles alcoholic liver disease, but occurs in people who drink little or no alcohol. . . .  NASH can be severe and lead to cirrhosis, in which the liver is permanently damaged and scarred and no longer able to work properly."

I find it interesting the printout says NASH is common, but then goes on to say only 2 to 5 percent of Americans are affected by it. That doesn't sound that common to me, but what do I know.

Apparently, the first symptom of this is elevated liver tests (ALT or AST), which were noted in my last set of labs.

Then, when X-rays or CT scans show fat in the liver, which I also have, they suspect NASH.

I am not sure what the next step for this is. Well, that isn't actually true. The next logical step is a biopsy of my liver.

Whether the doc thinks this is necessary or not, I don't know because I didn't have time to talk to him about it today.

But, I will. I want to make sure I understand his suspicions before I worry about them sticking a needle through my abdomen and into my liver.

They still don't know why I have the pain in my gut. Apparently, there is nothing showing up that would cause it.

I guess its back to the drawing board on that issue.

I wonder if I need to lose weight? I read that most people with NASH are obese, so maybe all this weight I've gained in recent months is the culprit.

Of course, I also read that even people who aren't obese get it. Even children get it. They really don't know what causes it.

Just my luck to get something they don't know much about.

Oh well, I guess I'll have something to talk to the doc about now.

HUGS,

Mark

MOONLIGHT1114:
Hi Mark~

I have never heard of NASH, either!  It shows up in people who don't drink?  I'm curious to know if HIV meds may have led to this.  Could it be from lipo in the belly?  I can't remember if that has been a problem for you or not.

You seem to be handling this news pretty well.  I know I would be asking a zillion questions, so I'm glad to hear that you'll be discussing it more with your doc.  Please keep us informed here in the Forums.  I agree, its amazing what stuff turns up sometimes.

Oh the life of an HIVer!  Hang in there!   :-*  You have 50 more years to go, mister!

~Cindy

Jeffreyj:
Marc,
Damn, I never heard of Nash either. You looked great when I saw you.

What kind of pains are you having in your gut? Is it on the right side?

Let's hope it's nothing. My Mom has had mysterious liver problems, as have I...I had a biopsy once. I had pain in my side, and nothing serious ever came of it.

I hope it's nothing serious, like it was for my mom, and myself!

vokz:
Sorry to hear your news.

I am sure I came across this term earlier this year when I was researching why my doctors where flying into such a flap over my suddenly haywire liver enzyme levels .. and if my memory serves me right, steatohepatitis is a progression of ‘fatty liver’ (steatorrhoeic hepatosis / steatosis hepatis) and is also associated with lactic acidosis, which is not an unheard of side effect of several HIV drugs (nukes seem to be the main culprits .. and it is, I believe, one of the reasons that close monitoring of liver enzymes is advised when starting treatment with certain drugs).

As I recall, it is diagnosed as non-alcoholic if you consume less than 2 alcoholic drinks a day, and alcoholic if you drink more.

In my case, after I had accepted that I was in for a change of drugs and regime of intensive diet and exercise, it turned out to be a flap about nothing at all  (bone marrow produces exactly the same enzymes and I had recently suffered a traumatic amputation in an accident, so it was just a natural part of the body’s healing process).

Hang on in there, I am sure they will get to the bottom of it and set you up for the next challenge.

HUGS,

Mark x

anniebc:
Hi smiler

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through all this.

How is your Cholesterol and Triglycerides?

From what I remember there is only two ways this can go, one is that it could possibly heal on it's own, but to be honest, from what you have been going through and what you have said I don't think that's going to happen..not if they are talking about surgery..and two it can slowly get worse, and this can cause scarring of the liver leading to cirrhosis.

Losing weight can help to a degree...and if you do have high Cholesterol and TG's working on lowering them will help.

I hope the biopsy will show what's really going on and you can get treatment started ASAP if needed.

Thinking about you and sending you love.

Hugs
Jan :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version