POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 07:41:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642856
  • Total Topics: 48905
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 178
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Still losing the Aids fight  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Dachshund

Still losing the Aids fight
« on: October 09, 2007, 06:00:14 AM »
Twelve thousand new infections a day with over ten thousand not knowing they are infected until full blown Aids strikes them in 2015...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/08/AR2007100801342.html

What do you think?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Still losing the Aids fight
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
I hope that people will stand up on the 1st of December, let their voices be heard, take up his challenge and start telling the truth...and I can only hope the rest of the world will start listening.

Hugs
Jan  :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:44:07 AM »
Thanks for the link. I just forwarded to my medical team and some professionals in prevention. That 90% figure is simply staggering. So, what can we do as individuals and as a group?

Thinking...

I'm going to print the article and send a copy to each of the news directors of the TV and radio stations as well as the editors of the various papers in my area and invite them to target December 1st for, at a minimum, a story and, at a maximum, a segment/series. If I do it now, they'll all have enough time to do their info-gathering, interviews, etc.

Then, multiply this by 6,011+ AM members and who knows how many guests/lurkers worldwide and encourage them to do the same either anonymously or out, however they current deal.

We could accomplish a lot. Six thousand plus PR agents worldwide on behalf of a topic that affects the health and wealth of everyone in the world? No overhead. Deadline: Do this within thirty days and every entity will have enough time in which to respond with a thorough story. Just a few envelopes, stamps, sheets of paper and in less than half an hour Voila!-- the ultimate in viral VIRAL marketing.

Are ya with me?

If any of you who hate writing, but would consider doing this if a template letter were created that you could cut/paste from this thread into your own Word document, let me know and I'll write it.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
For US site members, go to http://www.medialinksnow.com/ and if you click on newspapers and/or television stations (they don't list radio) and then your state, you will be able to find the links to the papers and TV stations in order to get their addresses. If you don't wish to communicate anonymously, many of the paper and station websites have ways to communicate online for story ideas.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
Does this appear to be too difficult? Too time-consuming? Too futile? The goal is not only awareness but getting the appropriate health officials into view and to state their commitments to prevention efforts.

If each of us looked at our Total Logged In times, we could put the time required to do this in perspective in a hurry. This would take less than 30 minutes per person to accomplish. And, the reach would be phenomenal.

December 1st is only 1.5 months away. Do we really want to help the site's future membership grow through indifference?

Would you please give me some feedback? Thank you.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:49:53 AM »
sad news after 25 plus years of AIDS.
Are ya with me?
Absolutely, I'm with you and I am coming out at work on Dec 1.  I was going to wait to come out about being Poz at work until it got closer to the AIDS/LifeCycle ride ( I am doing this ride as a positive pedaler) but given this news, I will take the opportunity to do this on World AIDS Day.

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 12:33:45 PM »
This is so sad! We need to stop this shit! People need to realize condoms can prevent this. Its not rocket science but for some reason the numbers keep growing... very sad :'(

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
I hope that people will stand up on the 1st of December, let their voices be heard, take up his challenge and start telling the truth...and I can only hope the rest of the world will start listening.

Hugs
Jan  :(

I doubt it.   People are even afraid on this site to show there own pictures or first names.   What is that saying?   Seriously, I get it and understand why people are afraid, but until more people do take some sort of stand people won't pay any attention and the pandemic will continue to grow exponentially.

Wesley

Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »
I doubt it.   People are even afraid on this site to show there own pictures or first names.   What is that saying?   Seriously, I get it and understand why people are afraid, but until more people do take some sort of stand people won't pay any attention and the pandemic will continue to grow exponentially.

Wesley

Just as a frame of reference from someone newly diagnosed, why didn't you pay attention?

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 01:28:18 PM »
I assume you mean how did I allow myself to become infected?   The answer is pretty simple.  I trusted a sociopath who lied to me about everything.  The only thing I can do now is keep myself healthy and make the best of the situation.

I think your point is a good one though.  In retrospect, it's easy to say I'd have done this or that, but I could sit here and make excuses all day long and it won't change the reality so all I can do is share my story with others and hope they make smarter decisions than me.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »
i got mine because i liked (and still like) taking it raw.  true, at the time i was in a big depressive state that kept me from "caring enough about myself to protect myself" and all that.  but in the end (literally), that fact remains that i thoroughly loved that type of activities that put me in the direct line of risk.  i question whether there would've ever been enough prevention education out there to have steered me clear of catching HIV.  short of perhaps visiting a hospital ward and seeing first-hand people wasting in the grip of AIDS, i don't know if there would have been.

sluttily,

tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
Em~

I greatly admire your spirit on this topic, and Aunty, ty for providing the link to the article in my hometown.

I plan on sharing this article with my case manager at the Health Department as well as my support group leader.

I brought up something in my support group two weeks ago.  I said that ultimately I could have prevented getting this virus if I had insisted on protection with my BF.  I blamed myself, having only had unprotected intercourse two or three times with him, fearing pregnancy, but hearing echos of HIV in the back of my mind.  I just didn't think it could happen to me.

My support group leader interrupted me, because I was taking all of the blame upon myself, I was saying that ultimately it was my responsibility.  She said, "No, its not all your fault.  We are all sexual beings, its part of what makes us human."  I didn't quite hear what she said at first, because I have always blamed myself.  Furthermore, I read in the Forums recently where someone voiced his opinion and said, "Is the ultimate responsibility for safe sex supposed to be in the hands of those who are already infected?  What about the people who are negative?  Or who are pos and don't know it because they haven't been tested?"

Its very frustrating because so many people think that this won't happen to them like it has to us.

Aunty, what are the references in the article to Botswana and two other countries with regards to testing?  Can anyone elaborate on that?

Advocate strategies that emphasize prevention and detection, based on the successful "opt-out" testing systems being tried in Botswana, Lesotho and Malawi. If current policies are not changed, we will face uncontrollable growth in the costs of treatment of the victims of a disease that should be, as Bill Clinton has said, completely preventable.

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 02:54:35 PM »
last WAD one of the things i did was a speech to 300 16 year olds in a school in the city where i live. im hoping to do the same again this year. obviously most of them wont remember a word i said once theyre drunk and horny but as a friend said to me at the time, if it just stops one then it's worth it. also it's a great way to get the little critters to shut up once they realise youre not winding them up about being poz. i had hoped that by this time a year later i could at least say that i was in a relationship, but no such luck...

i recommend doing this sort of thing to anyone who wants to get a huge shot of self esteem as well. for obvious reasons the charities in this country dont have you speak in the exact locality in which you live...

another thing i think makes you feel good and makes a huge potential difference is impressing onto health care professionals such as trainee nurses the importance of trying to test every person regardless of whether they belong to a 'risk group'. if you cant change people's behaviours leading up to infection then at least you can try and make it more likely that they find out they are infected.

ok, i'll get off my soap box now
lots of love
xxxxxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
The way I look at this is not about how you could have avoided becoming infected or to judge people for getting HIV.
I knew what HIV/AIDS was.  I lost a cousin to AIDS in the 1980's (when AIDS still had an ugly face), and I was a volunteer at the local AIDS organization where I went to college, where I did education and outreach more than any other activity with that group. 
If someone chose to have unprotected sex, that is that person's choice and it is nobody business but the people involved. 
What I got from the article is about knowing your HIV status and the importance of knowing it.  If people don't know they have HIV, they will keep giving it to many others, and not even know it.... the domino effect goes on and on.  If we all know our status I am sure that we would see a drastic drop in the numbers of new infections. 
Of course it all boils down to the individual again and the choices this person will make with the knowledge of having HIV or not.  I myself can honestly say that before I was Poz, if I was told by a sex partner he was POZ and wanted to bb, I would not have chosen bb.  I did choose to bb with the man who pass it to me, he did not know he was POZ, and I didn't find out I was POZ until much later.... How many others were infected just from the 2 of us?  I don't know...but I do know that once I knew my status I felt is was my responsibility to disclose my status prior to en ganging in intercourse and I made a choice to sero select ( i preffer to involve myself  with other poz men only).
I do believe everyone should be tested, anonymously, but still EVERYONE.
Knowledge is power and as the old ACT UP slogan says...SILENCE = DEATH

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 07:07:26 PM »
Hey Rich,

I agree that everyone should be tested.   If we had an accurate count of just how many are infected and people actually knew their status I think it'd make an impact at least in this country.

What ever happened to those CDC recomendations to have everyone tested routinely between ages 13 and 64?    I haven't heard anything about it recently, anyone?

W

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »
I have a question?  Is there more strength in numbers??  Will Government quit turning a blind eye to prevention efforts and better medications that do their own fair share of damage with say  - a quarter  of its population being infected?  Half of its population?   When does this get moved back on to the front burners for government / research ??  Prevention did not help many of us here... Now whats going to happen?  I don't know..

Eric

Offline whizzer

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
When?

Why, silly boy, when middle class, seemingly upstanding, straight people start being diagnosed in sufficient numbers.  And not before.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »
When?

Why, silly boy, when middle class, seemingly upstanding, straight people start being diagnosed in sufficient numbers.  And not before.

and how many HIV positive straight people know their status?  it all goes back to testing in my opinion.

Rich

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
Just to add not only STRAIGHT, but WHITE, CHRISTIAN, middle class people.
Peter
who gets frustrated with the inequity in this country, I appreiciate the USA but the human race still frustrates me. Look at our medical system as an example.

Offline 404error

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »
ahhh, to be politically correct and perpetually attacking heterosexual white males who come from the middle or upper middle class...

I live in Canada and more or less fit into the identifiable group mentioned above, aka public enemy number one.  Guess how many ASO's there are across the entire country that cater to heterosexual men?  Zero.  Even though heterosexual men, statistically speaking, outnumber PWA's who are; IDU's, women, or aboriginals.  Only when we can get over our own personal agendas and can see everyone, regardless of race, sexuality, or gender as an equal living with HIV will we see some progress being made.

Personally (in the line of though initiated by whizzer) I think it would be more to the advantage of everyone if women as opposed to middle class heterosexual white males were the ones making up the bulk of those living with HIV.  Not because I have any ill will towards women but just look at how much attention the fight against Breast Cancer gets in comparison to other forms of Cancer...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:09:05 PM by UpAllNight »
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 09:59:35 PM »
I have a question?  Is there more strength in numbers??  When does this get moved back on to the front burners for government / research ??  Prevention did not help many of us here... Now whats going to happen?  I don't know..
Eric

As to your first question, yes, I believe there is strength in numbers, hence my invitation earlier in this thread, to write to media representatives in our respective cities and towns, worldwide. And, to do so specifically in relation to the Washington Post article Dachshund posted, asking that these media entities focus on the statistics, the need for prevention efforts and bring forth those on the local levels (and for those who live in DC, Atlanta,NYC, etc. obviously, a national level) who are committed to and implementing substantive prevention efforts.

Add to this that there is significant prevention-related research in progress such as the microbicides trial and its subsequent network worldwide. And, for those of you who read within Sun's thread that there are women (and men) who believe that HIV is no longer a threat and in some instances has been cured, is that not sufficient additional impetus to do something as simple as send a letter with a copy of the article asking for coverage in concert with WAD?

To answer Eric's second question, regarding when does it get moved onto front burners in terms of government and research, it's there already. But this is a great example of not hearing enough, not hearing it often enough. I believe I've written this before...if HIV/AIDS information was passed out by Coca-Cola, Pepsi, McDonald's or, or, or, then we'd be making more progress. Out of sight, out of mind.

How's it looking on the front burners? Government-funded (NIH) studies of microbicides, vaccines, etc. are there, but prevention is multi-faceted. Education is still key. Information that can be brought to kids, their parents, their grandparents is going to re-enliven the topic, re-assert there is NO cure, remind people of prevention techniques and hopefully, cause many sexually active people to recoil at the idea that 90% of those 12,000 worldwide infected today won't even learn they've got the virus until the year 2015 let alone have a clue as to how many others they've taken down Andromeda Strain Avenue.

When I was suggesting that no matter whether you send a letter anonymously or out, that's making no value statement as to how you do what you do but encouraging you that no matter the mode, the delivery, the nudging of media is important.

As to Rich's post...

First, thank you. Before your coming out day, would you consider contacting your local TV/Radio stations with a letter and a copy of the article? Would you consider telling them of your plan to come out at work and enable them to interview you? You have a bunch of different angles to pursue. You could even cast a brighter light on the cycle ride.

Quote from: emeraldize on Today at 09:44:07 AM
Are ya with me?

Absolutely, I'm with you and I am coming out at work on Dec 1.  I was going to wait to come out about being Poz at work until it got closer to the AIDS/LifeCycle ride ( I am doing this ride as a positive pedaler) but given this news, I will take the opportunity to do this on World AIDS Day.
Rich

I'm serious when I say that as much as I'm grateful this site exists, I have zero desire to see its membership grow with newly infected people now, nor in 2015.

The activism that once got meds into the pipeline is needed more than ever...for meds, for money, and perhaps most important, for the momentum needed to get prevention on everyone's radar worldwide.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
So, if everyone with Whizzers criteria did their duty tomorrow, got tested and were found to be hiv pos, the world would be a different place given the current undiagnosed infections?

Em,  thanks, its alot for me to take in right now...

Eric
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:06:35 AM by Life »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »
I find this thread very odd. Dachshund you give a us headline and a link to follow. And ask us what we think?

Well, since you started the thread, it would be nice to know what YOU think, so we could respond.

And that was a cheap shot you took at Wesley. At least he gave us an opinion. Then you attack him about his getting infected.

That was a low blow, cheap shot.

So I ask Dachshund, what do you think? This isn't "off topic"...come on.
Positive since 1985

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »

And that was a cheap shot you took at Wesley. At least he gave us an opinion. Then you attack him about his getting infected.

That is your perception. I asked Wesley because I thought it relevant to the topic and I thought he gave a very thoughtful response and he didn't seem offended by the question. I thought it was insightful and I'm sorry if it offended you. In no way was I attacking or would I ever attack anyone regarding their infection. I find it odd that you would need my opinion in order to state yours. If you don't like the topic report it to the mods, state your case and ask them to move it to off topic. I'm glad a few folks were able to respond to the topic and I appreciate their input. Sorry you misconstrued my meaning.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:10:53 AM by Dachshund »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 12:23:33 AM »
We need a Stonewall equivalent to HIV. When there is a fight like this with authorities then there is a chance.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 02:26:15 AM »
Well, I am encouraged that people in the US now seem to be in favor of universal healthcare for all and it's become a number one topic for the upcoming presidential election so at least there's some indirect improvement towards a brighter future.

I was rather impressed that the American Cancer Society has taken the bold step to pan out their entire advertising budget to promote the idea of universal healthcare for ALL and not just cancer.  Ultimately, I see this as beneficial to everyone.

Someone mentioned the big Breast Cancer Awareness causes.  Fortunately, that disease doesn't come with the same social stigma and stereotypes as HIV, but this illustrates why I feel it's important for more people to come out of their closets and take some kind of action so that people can see that HIV doesn't just affect one or two demographics.   Ironically, seniors are seeing a massive increase in the rate of transmission as well now.   Imagine having to deal with that with all the crap society places with ageist stereotypes that seniors aren't supposed to have sex. 

I wonder how many of the various HIV non profit groups would dump their entire advertising budget into a campaign for healthcare for all?

Wesley

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 04:54:18 AM »
Excellent question Hal,

Each year for the past 3, I have been attending the HIV Planning Retreat, established by the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS and sets the tone for COA proceedings for the next fiscal year.  Knowing we were losing a huge chunk of our Title I funding, we were budgeting 4 sceanarios to be covered for whatever happened.  Our loss of March 1st was over half, down to $728,000 and full knowledge that that amount would be reduced to $0.00 in 3 more years.

In the previous year, we lightly discussed the possibility of a non-profit (county health) to establish a for-profit business, staffed by people living with HIV.  That concept was not reviewed again that year.

Knowing we were on a scarcity budget, some very important programs such as Alternative Medicine were deleted and other programs such as dual diagnosis rehab programs, could not be funded enough to meet the current needs.

Also being involved in Reentry/Community Reconnect to help find ways to assist people living with HIV through education, employment or volunteer opportunities to help the tragically underfunded programs.  The loss of this funding is a public relations nightmare for one of the wealthiest counties in California.  There were to be some signifigant changes in the focus of the COA on these issues.

I presented to the Executive Committee (I was a member) a plan to:

Open a public relations firm managed by me and staffed by the other people living with HIV and for a training resource for Community Reconnect.  This would have employed 5 people on a flex schedule, with benefits.  I spoke with a lender.  He suggested we apply for a start up loan, financed by local private investors.  This type of loan would require a committment for services by the County of Sonoma.  It was childs play.

All was left to do was write a business plan and three years projected  costs/sales.  Some of the newspapers, radio stations and the local TV news channel were willing to produce some promo spots.  It would have taken an estimated 200 hours for me to set up the presentation for... The Annual HIV Retreat.  The decision was made in advance to do something exciting yet predictable... They chose to form a "Public Relations Committee" and hoped I would be the facilitator.

There will be a front page article on October 15th about the need to reach the Hispanic community for HIV testing.  The Hispanic community has been the second highest risk group for new infection in our county Epidemiology report for the past several years and most are missed because the story is focused on a daily (English only) newspaper and there is no way they can reach the target audience.

I think from my first Persons Living With HIV Committee (PAC), which was three years ago and right after I moved to Sonoma County, I brought some skills they (the county) did not know how to effectively deal with.  I built and managed the website after they were planning a national chain letter to Congress.  Wrote enough articles, press releases and letters to editors, I thought I had permanent writers block.  I have done everything I can and then decided to rechannel my energy into a better life for me.  Selfish? maybe but, I have limited amount of energy and over the past few months, I am making my own money again as a Consultant and am pretty proud of myself.  Yes, I think we are losing the war on AIDS.  I can't do anymore volunteer work to show job security and advancement potential for already paid individuals and get nothing in return.

On my final Commission on AIDS meeting, I asked HIV Manager Shari Brenner to repeat a comment she had made in a previous meeting for public record in the Commission Minutes.  She was happy to say, "No person living with HIV in Sonoma will be denied medical care because of innability to pay."  Doctor Anna Baylor, Acting Director of the Center for HIV Prevention and Care and Doctor Steve Bromer, Director of the Russian River Health Clinic, also made that statement.  Like to think my work is done and now, I want to have some fun.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Buff4evr

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 06:26:49 AM »
Hi All,

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.  When I was a younger man in the late eighties and early nineties, I felt so much of the anger of ACT UP, but lived with all the fear.  Since I was diagnosed with AIDS last yearI wonder where all the protests have gone--the public displays of anger.  If we as a society are going to live with HIV/AIDS as if it was a chronic disease like diabetes, then why should I feel so ashamed?  In my mind, the answer to that rhetorical question is that we all need to feel more comfortable talking about sex.  When we can truly put a voice to our sexual feelings without judgment, then we might have the ability to remember its a good idea to take care of our sexual health.

I'm glad Austin feels so open about putting his name out there.  I look forward to feeling that comfortable some day.

I also worry that like Rich (pozattitude), I will stop seeking relationships with HIV negative men.  When I was negative, I lived for 15 years with a partner who was positive.  I think my own piggish behavior outside of the relationship caused me to seroconvert, but who knows?   (I was still with him when I tested positive.)   

It took me a long time to come out to the corporate world as a proud gay man.  And I know I have a way to go before I can say I'm not shame-based about having HIV/AIDS.  But sharing my thoughts in this forum has been helpful.

Dave

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »
This is a bump, with portions from the Washington Post article for which a link was posted by Dachshund. I am asking all actively posting members, quiet members and observers on the periphery to send/write a few letters (I'm willing to create a template to use) to make sure Holbrooke's call to action gets action on the local and national levels.

Please don't appreciate the spirit behind this request, appreciate instead the concept of the negative men, women and children whom you know (or don't know) remaining negative and the men, women and children whom you know (or don't know) who haven't a clue they are HIV positive, finding out and getting treatment. And, subsequently, as Buff4evr so clearly pointed out, help our nation to become less afraid to talk about sex, sexual health and sexuality. That fear has been problematic for far longer than HIV/AIDS existence and is the pea-sized gravel bedrock upon which much of what needs to be known and done about prevention, testing and treatment rests.

I respectfully ask the moderators to move this thread, or a copy of it, to AIDS Activism in the hopes we can make progress well in advance of WAD.

Thanks. Em (WP excerpts follow below)

Still Losing the AIDS Fight

By Richard Holbrooke
Tuesday, October 9, 2007; Page A17

On the day you read this column, an estimated 12,000 people worldwide will contract HIV. Ninety percent of them, about 10,800 people, will not learn they are infected until full-blown AIDS hits them -- in 2015.But on Dec. 1, the 19th annual World AIDS Day, political leaders and international health officials will, once again, tell the world that although the fight is far from over, progress is being made. The fight is indeed far from over -- but don't believe the second half of such statements.

But real progress must be measured by the only criterion that ultimately matters: Is the number of people who are HIV-positive declining? The answer is a resounding no. Speaking in July at an international conference, Fauci said: "For every one person that you put in therapy, six new people get infected. So we're losing that game." He went on to say, "Clearly, prevention must be addressed in a very forceful way."

As a strategy to defeat HIV-AIDS, focusing primarily on treatment will never succeed; it can only keep (some of the) people already infected alive, and then only as long as they take ARVs every day for the rest of their lives. (If they stop taking ARVs, even for a few days, their infection will probably become drug-resistant.)

The only way to reverse the spread of the human immunodeficiency virus is to focus on prevention.

But most of those fighting HIV-AIDS -- dedicated, hardworking people -- are still reluctant to admit that current prevention strategies are failing. A viable prevention strategy would encompass education and counseling, free condoms, female empowerment, more male circumcision, and abstinence.

But none of this will work without widespread testing -- highly confidential but highly encouraged (which can now be done with simple, cheap 15-minute tests).

Here is my challenge to the international health community: This year, tell the truth on World AIDS Day. Admit that we are still losing. Advocate strategies that emphasize prevention and detection, based on the successful "opt-out" testing systems being tried in Botswana, Lesotho and Malawi. If current policies are not changed, we will face uncontrollable growth in the costs of treatment of the victims of a disease that should be, as Bill Clinton has said, completely preventable.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
ML-earlier in thread you asked for additional info on opt out testing. This link will give you some info. http://www.iavireport.org/Issues/Issue10-6/Testing.asp

Offline Iggy

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
i got mine because i liked (and still like) taking it raw.  true, at the time i was in a big depressive state that kept me from "caring enough about myself to protect myself" and all that.  but in the end (literally), that fact remains that i thoroughly loved that type of activities that put me in the direct line of risk.  i question whether there would've ever been enough prevention education out there to have steered me clear of catching HIV.  short of perhaps visiting a hospital ward and seeing first-hand people wasting in the grip of AIDS, i don't know if there would have been.

sluttily,

tim

Amen and same for me.

Most prevention efforts (whether HIV or drugs) fail (and continue to fail as shown in the the report Hal linked) because too many think prevention means moralizing.

People have always and will continue to engage in risky behaviors simply because the human species is a hedonistic creature by nature. 

I don't know how to make that knowledge work in HIV prevention efforts but I do know it needs to be included in any thought about changing the tide of infections.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »
"A viable prevention strategy would encompass education and counseling, free condoms, female empowerment, more male circumcision, and abstinence." Shall I write to Holbrooke asking if we can add no moralizing or perceived moralizing to the list? That, I hope, will come about over a very long time by increased familiarity with the topic which brings into play talking about sex, death, money, hedonism, the whole of life's contents.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:09:33 PM by emeraldize »

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
Personally (in the line of though initiated by whizzer) I think it would be more to the advantage of everyone if women as opposed to middle class heterosexual white males were the ones making up the bulk of those living with HIV.  Not because I have any ill will towards women but just look at how much attention the fight against Breast Cancer gets in comparison to other forms of Cancer...

From the 2006 UN aids epidemic update -

Globally, and in every region, more adult women (15 years or older) than ever before are
now living with HIV. The 17.7 million [range15.1million–20.9 million] women living with HIV in 2006 represented an increase of over one million compared with 2004.
In sub-Saharan Africa, for every ten adult men living with HIV, there are about 14 adult women who are infected with the virus. Across all age groups,59% of people living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa in 2006 were women. In the Caribbean,the Middle East and North Africa, andOceania, close to one in every two adults with HIV is female. Meanwhile, in many countries of Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America, the proportions of women living with HIV continue to grow

I doubt they see the advantage.

kate

Offline Iggy

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
"A viable prevention strategy would encompass education and counseling, free condoms, female empowerment, more male circumcision, and abstinence." Shall I write to Holbrooke asking if we can add no moralizing or perceived moralizing to the list? That, I hope, will come about over a very long time by increased familiarity with the topic which brings into play talking about sex, death, money, hedonism, the whole of life's contents.

I'm not sure if the context will come through in such a statement, but in general I do think we need to address it. 

It needs to somehow state that the goal is to educate people on HIV prevention first and foremost with all other issues such as religious and moral beliefs on sex, sexuality, and recreational drug usuage secondary and deemed relevant only in regards to their direct influence on aiding HIV transmission.

I know that is clunky and at a first stab is probably not as exact as I want - sorry.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »
Iggy, No, it's not clunky at all, and, just like your good idea for an internet clearinghouse for HIV/AIDS info, you've hit upon something. This clarification essentially says no one needs or wants to know what or whom you're into, but we do need and want to help you learn if you're positive and if you're not, help you to stay negative. This, no fault, no blame, no guilt mode has to be included in the way prevention efforts are described, funded, developed and implemented.

Your suggestion is timely as I'm working on my letter to my local media folks. If you or anyone wants a copy of it to use and/or edit for themselves, PM me by Sunday and I'll send a copy. I intend to get them sent by Monday to four newspapers, three television stations, the ASO's and Health Dept. Less than $5 in postage, paper and envelopes.

If it manages to ignite the various editors' interest and gets coverage from multiple angles and mediums to deliver solid information, then more people will know about testing, about the worldwide and local statistics, and about the resources available nearby, etc.

I've discovered something as a result of Dachshund posting the WP article link--I care intensely about trying to prevent anyone else from becoming positive. I've spoken to a couple of college classes, volunteered at some events, but that's not even a drop in the bucket. I'm signing up for testing certification and getting involved as I've not been involved to date.

I like this forum very much and frankly, I derive a lot of socialization from it. I would even say at times I might be addicted. But, I'm seriously realizing I'm wasting upwards of 75% of my time on here. I don't want this site to have newly infected members and I'm not doing anything of merit to back that up.

I've become docile about my status. And, when I look at my niece, nephews, neighbors' kids, and friends' kids, I find myself thinking " Geez, I hope none of these kids ever has to deal with any STD, and especially not HIV." But, I'm not doing a thing to try to see that it doesn't happen. I am trusting someone else out there will get the job done.

The stats tell me someone else could use some help.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody called out the article's assertion that:

But because HIV is sexually transmitted, it still carries stigmas in much of the world, including, until fairly recently, the United States.

Did I miss the bulletin that HIV stigma is dead?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:48:52 PM by northernguy »
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody called out the article's assertion that:

But because HIV is sexually transmitted, it still carries stigmas in much of the world, including, until fairly recently, the United States.

Did I miss the bulletin that HIV stigma is dead?

Northern Guy -- I caught that and strange as it seems, despite the fact that I don't agree entirely with his assertion, the perverse power of the printed word on those in powerful positions (but perhaps not with equally powerful brains) who would be reading the Washington Post might just accept what they read and adopt/adapt. I like it as a concept. Subliminal persuasion without the sub! " Ahem, ah yes, well, we used to stigmatize people with HIV/AIDS like they do in Asia, but we don't do that anymore. I don't remember exactly when we stopped, but it wasn't that long ago if I recall correctly."

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:56 PM »
I don't disagree that the stigma is alive and well and thriving unfortunately.  However, rather than pondering on how this impacts me and others in a negative fashion I suggest we confront it head on.

I think a lot of people have incorrect perceptions of me and sometimes I don't illustrate my points as eloquently as I hope to.   I've made BIG mistakes with how I've approached to or responded to others in the past which I greatly regret and and am personally embarrassed by.

Whatever people think of me I try my best to help everyone dealing with HIV.  I'd be a fool to do otherwise.  Sometimes, I go for a different approach.  A few times this has backfired on me and needlessly offend others which I regret, but I still keep trying.

I consider LIFE as a project and something in process and strive to improve and move beyond past mistakes.   It does personally affect me that some people will never forgive me for past mistakes or mi-statements.   

I thought I'd start up a new topic today here as well as in my own Myspace group to try and make a difference.  I was rather appalled by a few, but inspired by others who I've not always personally agreed with.   It's been a mixed bag today : )

Regardless of past issues and petty issues I think I've grown a lot and all I can say is I am doing MY FUCKIN BEST to make a positive difference for all of you and myself at the same time.

BOTTOM LINE:

I am asking for those of you who I may have disagreed with or inadvertently offended in the past to let it all go.  Long since, I apologized for some of the commentary I made under duress when I had an "AIDS" diagnosis.   Wow, seems like a lifetime ago to me, but at the time I was going through immense stress and when I was down to 139 T Cells I think my mind was not operating on all 4 cylinders.

This will be my last public apology for my prior behavior despite the fact some of it was entirely justified.   You can take me for what I am and that is what I strive to be.  I have plenty of friends, but for those who didn't ever hear my prior attempts or ignored my PMs and chose to ridicule and humiliate me publically I have no regrets.

So, I may have strong feelings.   I am not a HATER of LTS as I've been portrayed.   I'm not a ultimate supporter of all people newly diagnosed however I do believe we all need to think back and have a bit of compassion.

Geeze, I don't know what propelled me to make yet another pubic announcement about some of these issue that are private.   I guess I just have been misjudged and that somehow still bothers me.   I don't attack people personally on here and the clique which we all know exists is a big problem to me.  I have a strong sense of justice and I'll never back down to bullying.

Anyways, I was in a peaceful mode and thought I'd express some feelings which are personal to me.  I am not some ogre nor am I one to jump on the bandwagon for someone else who is reflecting some pity me attitude I don't support.

My only agenda is helping everyone with HIV including myslelf and everyone who I've been thrown into this situation with.  I'm just me!   Take it or leave it, that is all I ask!

Peace,

Wesley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:42:28 PM by AustinWesley »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 12:33:24 AM »
ML-earlier in thread you asked for additional info on opt out testing. This link will give you some info. http://www.iavireport.org/Issues/Issue10-6/Testing.asp

Thanks for the link, Em.  The article was lengthy but it was VERY informative.  I just wish HIV testing was mandatory.  I know that infringes on a person's rights, but there are so many who are infected and don't know it.  I know I got tested not thinking I would be pos, I was pro-active, if you will, having taken AIDS classes in college as well as helping out with a campus-wide study at the University of Maryland at College Park. 

I know that this virus has stopped with ME.  By having mandatory testing we would raise awareness (along with a lot of hell, I know), but at the same time, the link to Em's article makes a valid point.  How would the US or other countries be able to handle the tidal wave of newly diagnosed pozzies in need of care?

This is almost too much to comprehend, because we are all aware, we know the numbers, we know this is real. 

~Cindy

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »
Thanks for the link, Em.  The article was lengthy but it was VERY informative.  I just wish HIV testing was mandatory.  I know that infringes on a person's rights, but there are so many who are infected and don't know it.  I know I got tested not thinking I would be pos, I was pro-active, if you will, having taken AIDS classes in college as well as helping out with a campus-wide study at the University of Maryland at College Park. 

I know that this virus has stopped with ME.  By having mandatory testing we would raise awareness (along with a lot of hell, I know), but at the same time, the link to Em's article makes a valid point.  How would the US or other countries be able to handle the tidal wave of newly diagnosed pozzies in need of care?

This is almost too much to comprehend, because we are all aware, we know the numbers, we know this is real. 

~Cindy

Hey Cindy,

Too much to comprehend or reality?   Jesus Christ, we have a dickhead for a president who's BLOWN over 1 TRILLON DOLLARS on a war most of us never agreed with or finally realized was big ass mistake.

I've read a lot of your posts and can relate to many.  I have a house and know the stress of holding on to everything I've worked my arse off or my entire life.

Putting shit into perspective do you really think that losing a house or declaring bankruptcy compares to the SENSITIVE issues of dealing with the dreaded HIV diagnosis? 

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am curious if you could address an actual question I pose to you letting go of whatever it is you seem to connect with with others who don't like me.

I have nothing personal against you and just want an HONEST answer.   You've ignored me in the past and apparently I've been excluded from your crowd.  I'm starting to feel like I'm the ugly girl rushing for the wrong sorority?

Hugs,

Wesley

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »

Cindy

I'm a tad confused. How should WE read this sentence? Is this the WE as in AM Site Members? Or, is this the WE of the world? Either way, WE have a big fucking problem on our wee hands.

If WE (as in site members) are all aware and WE know the numbers and WE know this is real---how did WE end up here? Or, If WE became aware after WE arrived here (at the site), then why don't WE feel it's important to share this information with the other parts of the worldwide WE?

Fuck it. I don't need an answer--this is rhetoric to a large degree. I know what I have to do in order to let this sit properly with my conscience. I just finished one part.

Wesley...

Try not to worry so much about acceptance/rejection from this group or any other group in the world. There's nothing wrong with you. You're learning and growing like almost every other human being. PM me, if you're interested, I'll give you a good book to read that can help you to shore yourself up and have a different perspective.

Fuck popularity contests. Fuck cheerleading squads. Fuck cliques.
Fuck thinking about them for one second when you could be doing something you enjoy.

Now, I'm going to go read your public apology thread.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »
Hi All~

Wesley, I have never seen you much here in the threads before, honest.  I don't know who you are.  I don't recall ignoring you in the past, either, not intentionally. 

I agree with your opinion of the president, we have spent way too many dollars which I feel could have been more useful elsewhere.

"I'm not trying to be an ass, I am curious if you could address an actual question I pose to you letting go of whatever it is you seem to connect with with others who don't like me."

You say that I have ignored you before.  I just received a PM from a friend and was very surprised to see it linked back to this topic, having no idea who the heck you are.  But sure, I'll answer your question.  As far as letting go of "whatever it is that I seem to connect etc."......what did I do in the past to tick you off so much?  Or am I reading into this the wrong way?  My friends here know that I am up front and assertive when I discuss topics, still perplexed here........... I don't recall ignoring you,  maybe it was a topic that was trivial to me but had more meaning to you, however I have no problem answering your question here. 

So, you ask about putting things into perspective.  Yes, a diagnosis is a sensitive issue.  For me personally, losing my house, my finances, my health....they are all equally devastating to me.  They are all my livelihood.  I understand that for others this may not be the case.

Hi Em~

"If WE became aware after WE arrived here (at the site), then why don't WE feel it's important to share this information with the other parts of the worldwide WE?"

This is exactly what I meant.  I find it frustrating that the stigma keeps so many of us pozzies silent.  I am frustrated that the stigma has resulted in my losing friends that I have disclosed my status to.  I DO feel its important to share this WE with the worldwide WE.  Where did you get the idea that this isn't how I felt?  I feel very helpless to make a difference and that is why I stated that its almost too much (for me) to comprehend.

Just had a nice evening relaxing and watching TV.  I show some emotion in my previous post here and you'd think it was a full moon.  Did I miss something?

~Cindy

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
Hey Cindy,

LOL, my bad.  I had written a lengthy reply to you when you were discussing the house scenario, but I went back and it's not there so it must never have gotten posted.

I like to joke around and tease so hope you didn't see it the wrong way.  I PM you!

Anyways, back on to the topic.   I kind of feel like many people here complain about the stigma and yet don't do anything to make it better.   I'm trying to think of an analogy, but all I can come up with is ya don't vote, don't bitch!

This country has the resources to cover everyone with HIV.   Hell, if they can contract in India to get HIV pills for pennies than the US ought to be able to as well.   I think there's plenty we can do to make this disease more affordable and we need to start now or it will be a real mess like some other countries where it's completely gotten out of control.

Peace,

Wesley

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:39 PM »
Uh huh, mind here is sharp even tho I am as sick as a dog.  I KNEW I hadn't ignored you before, I don't ignore people unless the Moderators tell me to!  ;)  (Insert Pac man theme, Queen....)

No harm, no foul, Wesley. 

Peace,

~Cindy

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
I have a question?  Is there more strength in numbers??  Will Government quit turning a blind eye to prevention efforts and better medications that do their own fair share of damage with say  - a quarter  of its population being infected?  Half of its population?   When does this get moved back on to the front burners for government / research ??  Prevention did not help many of us here... Now whats going to happen?  I don't know..

Eric

I think you bring a very valid point to the original topic Eric.   When is this number gona be high enough that people start taking action?    I don't know either, but I do think even one more needless loss of life is a tragedy!

Wesley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.