POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 09:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639888
  • Total Topics: 48583
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This is VERY thrilling and promising, NO KIDDING!!!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline anotherman

This is VERY thrilling and promising, NO KIDDING!!!
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:12:09 AM »
Hello, I'm negative but I'm campaigning against AIDS and educating many people on it since the same time last year, when I got educated about it here on this website.

Anyway.....

I just read that now, and I felt real happiness, this can really be the end to HIV, please read and discuss.

October 2, 2007

Scientists Discover a Way to Reach Hidden HIV

Researchers at Philadelphia’s Jefferson Medical College have found that blocking small pieces of genetic material called microRNA (miRNA) could help antiretroviral drugs reach HIV that hides out in CD4 cells.

Current antiretroviral drugs only work against HIV that is reproducing inside active CD4 cells. While drug regimens can reduce virus in the blood below detectable levels, immature copies of HIV remain inside memory CD4 cells that have switched from an activated to a resting state. As soon a person stops taking the drugs, even after years of suppressing the virus, those immature copies of HIV can begin reproducing if the cells become active, ultimately reestablishing the infection in a short time. Gaining access to the dormant virus has been a major goal of scientists seeking a way to eradicate HIV from the body.

Now, Hui Zhang, MD, PhD, and colleagues have found that miRNA is what helps HIV quietly hide out inside the resting CD4 cells. When they artificially blocked miRNA in test tubes, HIV that had lain dormant inside resting cells began to reproduce. Dr. Zhang hopes this discovery will lead to treatments that safely block miRNA in people, saying that this “might become a kind of therapeutic approach to get the virus out of hiding, making it visible and a target.”

Offline emeraldize

Re: This is VERY thrilling and promising, NO KIDDING!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »
Good Morning Anotherman,

Regarding your having read the article...

I just read that now, and I felt real happiness, this can really be the end to HIV, please read and discuss.

I'm very glad you are negative, that you are attempting to educate people as part of your campaign against AIDS and that you are happy this research is yielding some good news. I hope all of that continues.

Everyone who is a member of this forum, gets an e-mail alerting them to such an article, so there's no need to ask that it be read, nor "discuss"ed.
You may not have realized this. It's a fine feature of the AM membership.

I hope you let your big scare continue to fuel your efforts to educate others and hopefully, prevent some people from becoming positive in your country. I believe you told us it is a third-world country.

It's my experience that forum members don't need urging to self-educate as it's an ongoing process from point of diagnosis forward. We'll be fine here. Get out there and keep educating your countrymen and women!!!

Em

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: This is VERY thrilling and promising, NO KIDDING!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »
Despite the fact that some people might have receive this email, it doesn't implies that some people with enough background won't be willing to provide their point of view, helping the beginner as me to understand what it is about and what we can hops about.

If such post should become meaningless, then I don't see the point having the "Research News and Studies" category as will should all be aware of everything, thanks to the "the AM membership".

I would be happy to read a discussion about such discovery, and not only about the side effects of the current treatments or the fears of people having the HIV for eg.

Article published in Nature: http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v13/n10/full/nm1639.html
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:41:19 PM by John2038 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.