Main Forums > Living With HIV

Major CD4 Drop Question

(1/3) > >>

CJWAUS:
I just got new lab results today, and my CD4 is down from close to 1700 to 600.  I forgot the percentages, but was quite alarmed by this major drop in just two months.  I have recently moved from Portland where I had a great doctor to Seattle where the best it seems I can get is a nurse practitioner, who seems to think I shouldnít be at all worried about this big drop and doesnít so much as want to talk about it, all she want to talk about is what kind of head meds she thinks I should be on because she doesnít think I could have ever had a CD4 that high so I must be making it of there is a problem with the tests I had in Portland, this despite her having photo copies of all my test results from the very beginning. Whatís the likelihood of two years worth of false test results? 

I am beside myself over this, I watched my CD4 slowly get that high over a couple years and now itís sort of like they fell off a cliff.  I know 600 is still okay bit it isnít nearly as okay as 1700.  I am also concerned that this will be a trend and I will be in trouble in a couple more months.

Anyone ever have this kind of thing happen before?  I am still undetectable. 
 :(

Matty the Damned:
CJ,

It would be helpful if you could tell us your CD4 %. CD4 absolute results tend to fluctuate quite a bit (though yours is a big one) and your still in the normal range. Especially for an HIV positive person. As you probably know the % gives a far more accurate picture of what's happening to your immune system over time and HIV numbers are all about trends.  If the nurse practitioner is not being helpful can you phone your doctor in Seattle?

Also we have a really good set of lessons here which explain all about CD4 test results. You'll find the lessons link in the upper left hand corner of the page.

MtD

/edited because you did report your VL result. sorry!/

CJWAUS:
I don't have a doctor in Seattle just the N.P.  I will find out the % but I was just kinda in shock about it and forgot.

I do know that today was my last trip to Harborview, I need to find something better.  A few months ago i asked on here about good docs in Seattle but none of them would take me. 

Matty the Damned:
CJ,

Sorry! Misread that. You've moved FROM Portland TO Seattle! We Aussies can be a bit slow. ;) As you'd know a doctor is a priority. Can your NP give you the names of some who might take you on?

MtD

CJWAUS:
Ive decided to just try and start over at a new clinic, maybe that will go better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version