HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

looking for comfort

(1/7) > >>

in the waiting game:
Hello, I am new to this site. Yes I had posted a question on another site but did not really receive much response. I have been viewing your site for a couple days and I am impressed with the respose and care you exhibit. So here is my situation. I had unprotected sex on aug 10. I am married and have children. It was the stupidest thing I have ever done. My husband was working out of town for 6 mos and all my kids are young adults and busy with their own lives. I was lonely and vulnerable and made a very poor choice. I own up to it and have told my husband the entire story. He handled it with much love and compassion. I am very blessed. I have had 2 of the pcr dna test done, one was done 5 days post and the other 31 days post. both were neg. I also went to a clinic at 6 wks and 3 dys post and had a oraquick done which was also neg. I plan to go for the 12 week test for confirmation. My husband refuses to have protected sex because he says he knows I am fine. I still worry and therefore find ways to put him off. I have had some symptoms but I also have beat myself up pretty badly emotionally and I know that chronic stress and anxiety can produce symptoms as well. I need encouragement please. It is almost 8 weeks post and thinking I may go for another test. The guy I had straight vag sex with is engaged and I can not call him. His sister said at one time he had gotten into drugs and has been with several women. UUGGHH how could I have been so stupid? NEVER AGAIN!

Ann:
in,

The PCR DNA tests are not approved for diagnostic purposes.

The test that counts is your six week oraquick. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. While it is highly unlikely that your test result will change, you do need to have that three month confirmation.

If you ever find yourself in this position again, please remember to use a condom. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. To make sure they're being used properly, read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line.

I don't expect your result to change, but please do confirm at the appropriate time.

Ann

in the waiting game:
Thank you Ann
Would an eight week test be more encouraging than a six week? Also I have read where people are buying the oraquicks to perform at home in private. Do yuo know where those could be purchased? Any info would be appreciated.

Ann:
in,

The ONLY hiv test approved for home use is called Home Access. From what I understand, it is available in most pharmacies or drug stores in the States.

If you want to waste your money then go ahead and test again at eight weeks, but I don't really see the point. With all the results you've had so far, you're more likely to walk outside your house and find a multi-million dollar winning lottery ticket lying in the gutter than you are to go on to test positive and you may as well wait for the three month mark.

Ann

in the waiting game:
Thank You,
 I guess fear makes one irrational in thoughts and actions. Your words have very much helped to subside my fears. I was only considering purchasing one because I am now out of state with my husband and do not know anything about this area. Anonymous testing sites etc.
You do a great service here and I for one thank you. Afterall to err is human. If we did not err then we would all be perfect. But this particular err will never grace my path again for sure. I may need more encouragement to get through this as I am alone now except my husband and as great and wonderful as he has been I am sure his ear is very tired of listening to his "hypechondriac" wife  :)
Thanks again so much!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version