POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:38:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23349
  • Latest: BarryH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636663
  • Total Topics: 48323
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SNAKE OIL "CURE ALL" SALESMEN ARE BACK - BEWARE!  (Read 1412 times)

Offline thedingoman

• Living & Loving Life without Fear - Always!
    • The DingoMan's Cyber Home Personal Pages
SNAKE OIL "CURE ALL" SALESMEN ARE BACK - BEWARE!
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
I DO NOT WISH TO ENGAGE IN ANY ONLINE DEBATES ABOUT THIS OLD "CURE/REMEDY" THAT HAS RECENTLY RESURFACED. I’m posting this for those who are newly infected.  I’m seeing the snake oil salesmen coming back through various groups and other forums on the web. They’re reluctant to peddle their wares within these pages because they know better than to even “go there.”
I WAS APPROACHED BY AN HIV INFECTED INDIVIDUAL BACK IN THE EARLY 90's who was touting the benefits and all that!  I was approached to print information about ozone therapy because I was the publisher of a newsletter for people with HIV and all the "supporting evidence" was submitted to me along with the arguments as to why this ozone therapy was being bucked by the FDA, federal government etc.
There is a new wave of infections and again the snake oil salesmen are rearing their heads to take money from people who may be tempted to believe in the various "they don't want a cure" theories. 
OZONE THERAPHY in the early 90s resulted in a couple of deaths and injuries to those who had spent dollars thinking that their blood was going to be cleaned of the virus (NOW ITS MOVED ACROSS THE BORDER - THINK ABOUT THAT - and how the ozone people are not being held accountable by our laws).
A scam is a scam and there are people out there who do have HIV who are pushing this one and another from Texas, Carrington Labs, with its aloe vera injections - some say they have HIV and in fact are not.  They'll bait you as being friendly and give you a story or two to make themself look more personable and genuine.
I have seen this firsthand in the early 90s and these people are making a comeback now with the newer infected people because they know there’s a buck to be made. They like to tout their wares, remedies, cures, and snake oils on sites and in publications targeting HIV people. Then they disappear - you'll usually find them touting their cures/remedies on other sites for sickle cell, anemia, cancer, and a host of other opportunities they come across. Their “scientific studies” look great and can be convincing. Now they even have great looking “facilities” on the internet. Don’t let all that fool you! 
My last words on this is being provided through the following links, the first coming from THE BODY a site devoted to HIV. The 2nd is from Wikipedia and provides additional links.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Current/Q185783.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_therapy#Evidence_of_medical_benefits_of_ozone_therapy

Lets not confuse this treatment with other alternative/holistic treatments that provide a boost for the immune system and are safer, such as acupuncture, spiralina, massage therapy, Q, and others which do have or had positive results from ongoing studies. People may have their own opinions and there are many of them out there. Many cuanderos, who practice with herbs and medicinal plants, will be the first to denounce snake oils that suddenly appear and then quickly disappear. Those who practice with macrobiotics and homeopathic have come forward to denounce certain "miracle cures" - these people themselves have been subjected to scrutiny but by coming out against "snake oils" they have defended their integrity and the integrity of their professions and products that have been tarnished by the traveling snake oil salesmen. I personally do believe in alternative and holistic medicines and do advocate for their use as a complimentary use to other proven methods to healing and good health.

Caution and good judgment should always be used when being approached with so called "cures" for anything. There are still many people out there, intelligent people, who sometimes get taken by scammers and others who prey upon those who are desperate to rid themselves of a disease that now can be managed and controlled by legitimate methods.
Vroooooooooom!
the dingo
www.thedingoman.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.