POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24258
  • Latest: ter353
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649956
  • Total Topics: 49610
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A gay guide to the GOP  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Dachshund

A gay guide to the GOP
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:37:41 AM »

What is a right-leaning homosexual to do in this presidential election? Start by taking a closer look at the candidates in the Republican field. There is substantial variation, and not just in their positions on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Call it the Giuliani-Keyes Spectrum of Gay Friendliness. On one end, there is Rudy Giuliani, a former New York mayor who has lived with gay friends, favors gay domestic partnerships, and sometimes dresses in drag. At the other end, there is Alan Keyes, who calls lesbians "selfish hedonists," even though his only daughter is a lesbian. There exists, shall we say, a veritable rainbow of variation in between.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/09/21/gay_gop/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 07:44:19 AM by Dachshund »

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Re: A gay guide to the GOP
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:57:31 AM »
I am so glad I don't have to struggle with that decision.  I get to choose from a group who like us, they really like us.  They come to our parties, take our money, tell us how much they support us, are dedicated to making advances in hate crime legislation, prohibiting discrimination on the federal level, support domestic partnerships and want to increase funds for HIV/AIDS .  However when the rubber meets the road have a difficult time finding the fortitude to actually get anything done.  It really is a sad state of affairs.  But I'll take Hillary & Company over Keyes & Company any day.

I don't care if the Republican candidate is the most gay friendly and supportive choice of all candidates, I will never vote for that candidate due to the overall characteristics of the Republican party.

Just my thoughts,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:14 AM »
In the South, you my friend are what we proudly call "Yellow Dog Democrats." We would vote for a yellow dog before we would vote Republican. Woods, I think we should get married and make babies.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »
In the South, you my friend are what we proudly call "Yellow Dog Democrats." We would vote for a yellow dog before we would vote Republican. Woods, I think we should get married and make babies.

But who will be the top.

Seriously, I know people think it is small minded to feel this way.  And the "I don't vote parties I vote for the best person"  crowd think I am just plain stupid.  But when I oppose a party on virtually every issue and then you add in the value that is placed on me as a gay man, how can I vote for a candidate of that party that for some strange reason I think is the best choice.  The simple fact is that scenario will never happen.  I thought it could almost happen with Rudy, but then he has done so much back peddling and catering to the religious right, that I slap myself to have had such a thought.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
I've never voted for a Republican for anything in my entire life of voting.  And as far as Rudster Giuliani goes, I personally lived under his tyranny already for eight years and I really don't relish doing so for another eight years.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:11:09 PM »
Let's see... um  I don't care
Republicans can't manage the economy.  (Cutting funding and not cutting spending... good move).
They can't manage a war.  (obvious)
They are more corrupt than Democrats ever were.
They like to wag the moral finger at everyone.
And, as a party, their platform is very anti-gay. 
Sorry, but wouldn't matter if a Republican were pro-gay.  They all suck.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
And the "I don't vote parties I vote for the best person"  crowd think I am just plain stupid.  slap myself to have had such a thought.

Amen.  You should almost always vote for the party platform. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.