Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Mood changes

<< < (2/3) > >>

DCGUY2007:
I forgot to mention that I  just got back from a urology appt I had today. Everything turned out well. I don't have prostate cancer. I think I was more stressed about this appointment then I thought I was. When I left the office this morning I felt so much better. I have learned in therapy that sometimes what we think is really bothering us turns out to be something else. Hooray for good news  8)

Ann:
Hi DC,

I used to suffer from mood-swings a lot more than I do now days, and I think it is because I practice meditation on a regular basis for the past few years. It seems to help me keep things in perspective and it also seems to keep me on a more even keel with my moods.

Meditation might be something you could look into. There are plenty of books on the subject and I'm sure there are websites too. Although you might need to pay to learn how to do it (whether by buying a few books or attending some classes) once you know how to do it you can do it anytime, anywhere, and for free as well. One idea is to take some yoga classes as meditation techniques are often taught alongside the yoga postures.

You can do it as much or as little as you like as well. One of the things I like best about meditation is - it's not using drugs to control my moods and there's no side-effects to worry about.

In fact, going to yoga (or similar) classes might help you meet some new friends, and that would surely help too. Isolation isn't good for us at all.

Ann

DCGUY2007:
Ann,

Thanks for suggesting meditation and Yoga. I used to read some books on Buddhism and meditation. I remember reading a book a while ago called "Peace is Every Step". It was actually good. I was even going to sign up for a yoga class. But the class times  conflicted with my schedule. I totally forgot about all of this.  I think I will look into it again. There is a Yoga center here in DC. Thanks for the feedback. Will let you know how it goes  :).

redhotmuslbear:
Re yoga and meditation.....

I'll have to dig more at home, but there are some outstanding yoga podcasts for getting you started.  I use them in the morning at the gym, as opposed to shelling out money for classes.  One of the podcast instructors made a good point in one installment:  your body will tell you when a pose is right.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to have friends who like to go to the mat, too.

Re meditation..... Check out the Mintwood Zendo one Wednesday evening http://www.mintwoodzendo.org/ for a solid community of LGBTQ Buddhists and non-Buddhists who gather for practice and community.  I haven't been in ages, but I keep a personal practice that includes several friends from time to time.  Great ticks to play at the doctor like I did last week.  Fought traffic to get there, then got hustled back to the exam room.  Blood pressure was 155/105 -- the nurse freaked out, and I told her to just leave me alone for a few minutes.  Doc appeared and rook it, 110/70.  A few moments of bliss do wonders!

Andy Velez:
Glad to hear about your happy prostate result. Having dealt with the same thing I know how that sword hanging over you can really get you down.

It's good to see how many suggestions you've gotten and that they ring the bell with you.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version