Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

What to do when you think your partner is an aolcoholic

(1/7) > >>

egello:
My partner has been drinking everyday now. It, however, does not effect his work, granted he doesn't do much but work. He just starts to drink after i fall asleep till he falls asleep or passes out.

It started getting bad after he started paxils, and now it seems like it's gotten worse,,, almost like a drug addiction.

He does not think he has any problem, but feels that he is just enjoying his time after work until falling asleep. I confront him about it, but no real response of admission to being addicted nor problem.

Am I overreacting? I feel like being mean to him, but the next morning he is as if nothing happened, refreshed as ever.

This is so trippy, and I really don't know what to do. I read on line that there is really nothing one can do but just wait until the problem gets deep enough that they themselves seek help.

Is this some sort of paxil side effect? I thougtt those drugs makes you less dependent on alcohol.

DanielMark:
I would say you have cause for concern.

Alcohol: Although Paxil has not been shown to increase the impairment of mental
and motor skills caused by alcohol, patients should be advised to avoid alcohol while
taking Paxil.

This is directly from the product insert.

FDA FINAL APPROVED LABELING
PRESCRIBING INFORMATION
PAXIL®
brand of paroxetine hydrochloride tablets and oral suspension

Alcoholism IS a drug addiction, because alcohol is a highly addictive drug. And on a related note, workaholism is also an addiction. He may or may not be addicted to either thing, but the only thing you can really do to if he is is to avoid enabling the behaviour.

Daniel

DanielMark:
PS: Alcoholism is also a progressive illness. It worsens over time.

emeraldize:

Good Morning .

What to do?

Take care of you. This scenario can be crazy-making. So, don't get lost in the shuffle of what reads as alcoholic behavior.

Go to your phone book. Find Alcoholics Anonymous. Call them and find out where and when the Al-Anon meetings are held. These are meetings for the spouses, children and significant others of alcoholics. They are invaluable, free and nationwide.

That is an excellent first step for you. And, what you will learn is that you must continue to be vigilant about you because that is the only person in your relationship with your partner in whom you can initiate change.

And, you will learn the meaning of the Serenity Prayer which follows.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

If you wish, substitute whatever you deem to be a power greater than you for the word God.

Best regards
Em

Andy Velez:
I second Em's suggestion. Right now and actually in general your first concern should be to take good care of yourself.

The kind of doubts you're having about whether he is an alcoholic, whether you are being mean or unfair to him are typical of someone involved with an addict, whether it's alcohol, drugs or whatever. And you can get really cuckoo with those kinds of doubts.

Check out the meetings Em suggested. You'll find you have lots of informed and supportive company that will help you to deal.

Right now it doesn't sound like your guy is receptive to communication about this problem. In fact he doesn't even see that there is a problem.

Hang in there but don't try to do it alone.

Keep us posted. We're here.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version