Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

cocktail holidays?

(1/2) > >>

snoofle:
my boyfriend just got his recent labs in and was up in the 500s and VL undetectable..his doc told him that if his cd4s went higher like into the 700-1000s he could stop taking his meds..but that makes me kind of nervous bc i could understand if the meds were making him sick, it would be a good idea to take a break..but if they arent; is there really a reason to stop taking them? i would just figure that if you stop, the HIV infection would run rampant in your body without the meds to halt it. His doc also switched him from combivir and viramune to kaletra and truvada so hoopefully those meds wont cause a stir in his system since the combivir and viramune didnt.

RapidRod:
Is this an ID doctor or a GP. Why was he switched when he wasn't having any problems? I wouldn't suggest taking a holiday from the meds.

megasept:

--- Quote from: snoofle on September 01, 2007, 01:46:13 AM ---my boyfriend just got his recent labs in and was up in the 500s and VL undetectable..his doc told him that if his CD4s went higher like into the 700-1000s he could stop taking his meds..but that makes me kind of nervous bc i could understand if the meds were making him sick, it would be a good idea to take a break..but if they arent; is there really a reason to stop taking them? i would just figure that if you stop, the HIV infection would run rampant in your body without the meds to halt it. His doc also switched him from combivir and viramune to kaletra and truvada so hoopefully those meds wont cause a stir in his system since the combivir and viramune didnt.

--- End quote ---

It might be reasonable for him to stop taking the meds. You ask a good question, maybe two. I'll get to why it might be good NOT to take ARVs later. First, No, generally the virus would not "run rampant in your body without the meds to halt it." It's your immunosuppresion that makes the difference. If you had no immunity how many days or weeks do you think the meds could save you? Our systems are compromised, not destroyed. I have a VL and CD4s that do not (quite) warrant resumption of meds in my case -----after six years of a scheduled treatment interuption (STI). That's my experience, Nothing going "rampant". Each patient is different, but my experience is common, not rare. Since the meds work, the uncomfortable answer to the question "If the meds work and you can get them, why not take them right away, and for life?" The answer? Your organs might thank you. It is reasonable to expect decades of living with HIV, so side effects (not just the irritating ones people describe here) become a real medical issue.

8)  -megasept

J.R.E.:

This following lesson( from this site ) can give you some further information :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/STIs_7663.shtml

Ray

snoofle:

--- Quote from: RapidRod on September 01, 2007, 11:09:34 AM ---Is this an ID doctor or a GP. Why was he switched when he wasn't having any problems? I wouldn't suggest taking a holiday from the meds.

--- End quote ---

it was an ID..and he never told me why she switched him..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version