HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

question about possible transmission of HIV

(1/10) > >>

young-dude:
hi, i would like to hear some comments from some of the experts on this site.  i am a gay male in my 2os. i have always practiced safer sex. On a recent occasion, i engaged in oral sex with another man of unknown HIV status. There was no anal sex involved. i mostly received oral and we engaged in frotagge (ie rubbing against) one another, which i have heard is safer practices. However, at one point, very briefly, i did go down on him, it must have been no more than a minute  if that. unfortunately for me, i noticed some precum, which i immediately spat out of my mouth and stopped performing oral on him.

i was not worried for the most part, except that when i got home and started checking my mouth i noticed that i had a raised surfaced in my lip, ie probably the result of an older scratch or bite. There was certainly no blood nor was it fresh or there was pain.

am now concerned i may have contracted HIV from that one instance. i am now very very worried and are driving myself nuts. Will get tested eventually in 3 months to know for certain but would like to know exactly if i should worry much or if my concerns are unfounded.

thank u kindly for ur comment
cheers
young dude

Ann:
dude,

Giving blowjobs is at the low end of the risk scale and it is highly unlikely that your incident will lead to hiv infection.

It doesn't sound as though you have regular check ups, and anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, a negative result at that point would be an excellent indication of your true hiv status. Under your low risk circumstances, it would be entirely up to you whether you tested again at the 12-13 week mark, or just waited until it was time for your next routine check up.

I fully expect you to test negative from the encounter you bring to us.

Ann

young-dude:
i appreaciate Ann's reply and it does put me at ease somewhat. given my incident(above), should i get tested over this incident (ignoing the fact that sexually active people should routinely get tested, which i am). i suppose iam asking whether although small, i still should get tested bc i might have gotten it.
thanks for anyone's reply.

AC_72:
Dude

YES, you should get tested....if not for the above incident, but because you apparently engage in behaviors that can lead to high-risk.  I mean no disrespect, but as someone who made an error in judgement 5 months ago and am paying dearly for it now, you should always do two things:
  - ALWAYS ask if the person you are going to have ANY sort of sexual relations with is HIV positive and when they were last tested.  If they have a problem with this question, you don't need to be bothered.
  - ALWAYS remember that there is only SAFER SEX.  As Ann said (for whom I have a great deal of respect), your risk seems VERY low and likely you are likely fine.
  - GET TESTED REGULARLY - every 6 to 12 months if you are sexually active.

Do yourself a favor and beef up your knowledge on HIV now........and make sure you don't put yourself at risk in the future.

All my best for your long negative future, dude!!!   ;)

young-dude:
ac72:

i appreaciate ur comment and i wish u well in ur life as u deal with what comes ahead. I dont engage in higher risk behaviour (ie anal) and i often only get bjs (ie-no risk or only theoretical by the experts on this site). i would not be so worried if it had not been b/c of the old abrasion on btm of lip, an abrasion that was not new, had no visible open wound, it just just a little bump on lip. I know that HIV is tiny so whats visibly  not an open wound may not be so microscopicaly.

i appreaciate that u should ask partners about their status, but i dont think that is necessarily a good idea b/c u should assume that even if they say they are neg, they might be poz not b/c they might be lieng (always pos) but also b/c they might not know.

my second question was about whether i should drive myself nuts for the next three months or whether i should relax and just get tested twice a year which would be not in three months but in 5 in my case.

i get tested twice a year ac72. and i do know my limits (ie- i dont engage in risky activity). i suppose in the future i will no longer ever give head, now that i know that there is some risk in that and will just get bjs, but that is often not possible and plain selfish.

at this point i am just really stressed, worried that i contracted HIV from a few secs of blowing someone given that i tasted some pre-cum.

anyways, anyone else have anything else to say?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version