Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:03:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!  (Read 63579 times)

Offline jessem3s

Re: Read the New Issue of POZ MAG
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 04:25:08 pm »
If this is some sarcastic, off-handed  swipe at me I don't appreciate it and will not be represented in a false light.

Jesse and I had a phone conversation last Friday night in which he told me about the cover article, as well as his having been given an official POZ blog. He asked me specifically not to say anything, and I did not.

As regards the article: it's not really that surprising. POZ mag seems to have a specific policy of insisting that being HIV+ and conforming to the cosmetic industry's standards of "pretty" are not conflicting concepts. I'm all for diversity, gawd knows, but to disavow the "50-ish shrunken, lipoatropied, big-bellied disability queens" in favor of 19-year-old self-obsessed boys and Manhattan socialite bottle-blondes is disingenuous, to say the least.

"The second coming of Jesus"? When, precisely was the first time, baby? And how, precisely are you breaking stereotypes with this statement:

And the expression is "spilling" beans.

Brent
(Who puked a little in his mouth reading this thread)

To clarify the conversation. We spoke about the BLOG being in the question since it was brought up. I didn't confirm it and I said, "It's not a for sure."
Also since we were talking about blogs you seemed a bit troubled in the conversation, and you seemed to be very interested in the blog thing. I clearly told you that
I would do it was offered. Yes, the idea was briefly touched, but nothing set instone. This is ridiculous lol... So much chaos from a bean.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:29:57 pm by jessem3s »

Offline Dachshund

Re: September POZ MAG -- Loves IT!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 04:28:52 pm »
Maybe Ms Chew was dazzled by the sparkle, but I find it troubling that she seems to scapegoat others for Jesus infection. A casual, "Jesus doesn't understand the dynamic," so it really is somone elses fault that he became infected.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »
Pete,

that issue will follow the one about 50-ish shrunken, lipoatropied, big-bellied disability queens....(read:  It ain't happenin')

Don't forget the PML poster boys.  ;)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 05:31:18 pm »
Everybody should have their 15 minutes of fame, so why not a freshly diagnosed 19 y/o with his head full of ideas, hopes and teenie thoughts? I read the article, but personally, I didn't find it particularly interesting. Not much I could relate to, not much about activism, just promises, a bit too much of a shiny home-story promo thing for my taste. Perhaps it's a generation thing? I hope they're doing a follow up in 10 years time, so we can see how you developed, that'd be interesting.

But congrats jesse, anyways! It's a very courageous move to come forward and present yourself to the public this way. It surely gives your ego a nice boost and I hope you'll stay healthy enough to follow your dreams! Oh, and I loved the impression of you walking on the water, that's funny!

While at it, I can strongly recommend the article about homophobia and AIDS in Jamaica, in the same POZ issue. It's very well written and reflects a lot of experiences I made myself while I was there. It points out the terrible situation where gay activists are regularly getting killed for their coming out and fighting injustice. Personally, this would have been a cover story I could more relate to, because it shows true fighters, but of course, tastes are different.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 05:48:47 pm »
Let us also not forget just how far humility goes...I can remember being a fresh faced, 19 year old...I was on a hugely popular NBC saturday morning TV show...and it wasn't until I lost many friends...no not because I was on TV...it was because I was complete and utter ASS!

There is nothing wrong with with following dreams and doing what it is we set out to do...but there is a problem with a holier than thou attitude it leaves you friendless and alone...

And the other thing is...as fast you rise to your 15 minutes...it only takes a minute to fall...

Just sain...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:28 pm »
I don't think POZ has anything to do with fame.

My friends would never leave my side and nor would I.
They love me much and I care for them very much.
I am very happy to say my friends are amazing girls with great hearts. :-*
They mean the world to me and they have been great supporters from the start.
I love the chicas! ;D

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 05:54:38 pm »
Let us also not forget just how far humility goes...I can remember being a fresh faced, 19 year old...I was on a hugely popular NBC saturday morning TV show...and it wasn't until I lost many friends...no not because I was on TV...it was because I was complete and utter ASS!

So that's why you're so comfortable in front of the camera!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2007, 05:55:21 pm »
So that's why you're so comfortable in front of the camera!

You found me out! ;D
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 06:39:50 pm »
To clarify the conversation. We spoke about the BLOG being in the question since it was brought up. I didn't confirm it and I said, "It's not a for sure."
Also since we were talking about blogs you seemed a bit troubled in the conversation, and you seemed to be very interested in the blog thing. I clearly told you that
I would do it was offered. Yes, the idea was briefly touched, but nothing set instone. This is ridiculous lol... So much chaos from a bean.

I stand by my description of our conversation, Jessie. Backtrack if you like, it's your prerogative to cover your ass, even at the expense of accuracy.

You didn't address the quote I made regarding AIDS being a disease of "blacks, gays and druggies". Obviously you're not African American, and although I'd wager that you've partied now and then, I wouldn't label you a "druggie". But buttercup, you're as gay as a pink, fur-lined and bedazzled parasol. Perhaps by "gay" you were referring to the older, more mature men over 30 whom you favor as sex partners.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2007, 06:59:16 pm »
If this is some sarcastic, off-handed  swipe at me I don't appreciate it and will not be represented in a false light.

Whew.   I thought he (jesse) might have meant me since this was brought up during our first PM exchange.  But I double-checked:  I wasn't told about the confidential nature of anything, so I did not spread beans. 

To be clear, jesse did not expressly tell me he was going to be on the cover- just to check it out that I might like it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2007, 08:04:17 pm »
oh my...the plot thickens.

how many beans were passed around? 

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:39 pm »
oh my...the plot thickens.

how many beans were passed around? 

With all the beans...I don't think I want to be in the same room..I remember "Blazing Saddles"...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2007, 08:18:55 pm »

This is so, so sad. Jesse, you seem like a good guy deep down. But buddy, you are really rubbing me (and I sense many others here) the wrong way.

HIV is not about fame. It is not a platform. Your cover story, important to expressing your own personal struggles aside, is far too focused on the wrong things; and I fear that you're missing the point of this place: community.

Personally, for the first time I am very disappointed and embarrassed at POZ's editorial choices as the publication of record representing people with HIV/AIDS.

The world already has Paris Hilton, and I certainly do not come here expecting to find her staring back at me.

Respectfully,
Chap

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2007, 08:21:08 pm »
i hate to repeat myself...but...

There is nothing wrong with with following dreams and doing what it is we set out to do...but there is a problem with a holier than thou attitude it leaves you friendless and alone...

And the other thing is...as fast you rise to your 15 minutes...it only takes a minute to fall...

Just sain...

I don't think POZ has anything to do with fame.

My friends would never leave my side and nor would I.
They love me much and I care for them very much.
I am very happy to say my friends are amazing girls with great hearts. :-*
They mean the world to me and they have been great supporters from the start.
I love the chicas! ;D

And I am not hinting that POZ = fame...

Jesse darling... you missed the point...it's not just your "chicas" but anyone you expect to follow you along the way...and look at some of the reaction you are getting here...I really don't want you take this the wrong way, but seriously dude, in order to be successful, its important to be aware of your community of support...and alienating them wont help. I am only saying this because I got the same advice once...and I am very grateful to woman who gave it to me...Celebrity, fame...all of it is fleeting and with out communal support, you have nothing.

The worst thing for a journalist is when no one reads you any more...and I too am a bit disappointed with some of the editorial choices the magazine has made...because Jess, we are all here because we have HIV/AIDS...I hope that you will one day, soon, you will see that those of us who have it made through our twenties...know something about life and how life can treat those who aren't willing to learn.

Have fun, go for what you dream...but remember the people who helped you along the way...and who have come into your life...because as a wonderful performer once told me..."people will turn on you faster than a rabid dog, honey...so feed them well!" What this means is, be respectful of who you are around and the community you belong to...it may not always be there when you need it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:34:37 pm by pozguy75 »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2007, 08:24:41 pm »
I hate to say this cause its my style to be "polite" but the poor kid has been "falling" ever since he got here.  He can't seem to handle the advice that we are all trying to give him,  some gently and others not so gently, as far as being politically correct here in the threads.  Its just so damn irritating, but that's what he gets off on, the ATTENTION.  So, I guess I just fed him another bite.....sigh.
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:38 pm »
The thing I got from the article is that Jesus is a 19 year old gay male who is predictably immature, self absorbed and (unfortunately for him) went looking for love and validation in all the wrong places.

He says he knew all the facts, but felt he was invincible.  I don't buy the invincible part.  I think he was so desperate for attention and validation, thought so little of himself as someone deserving respect and true love, that he was willing to use the one thing he has always used to get the attention he so obviously needs.  His body and his looks.

Maybe the point of the article (and I concede I'm reaching here) was to present us with the reality of why stopping the spread of this virus is so damned hard.  We can spend bundles of money to warn about the risk, but in the end it comes down to each person.

Jesus is a 19 year old face that I suspect resides all across this country. 

He doesn't seem to have a clue as to what being HIV + is going to do to his life.

He hasn't indicated any sort of personal growth that acknowledges an awareness of what got him to this point.

He only sees it (temporarily I suspect) as another opportunity to market himself via a national speaking tour to try and reach out to other young people.

IF he steps back, takes the opportunity to seriously look at who he is as a gay man and a person deserving of self respect, then incorporates that into his message, he could perhaps become an effective messenger.

Right now, he seems to be stuck on the self absorbed and not so much on the self growth.

Another victim has joined our ranks, when his walls come crashing down and the reality becomes that, reality, he'll understand completely what it is that so many here have tried to communicate to him.

Until then, it'll be about designer sun glasses, glamor shots, and how many posts "my" presence can generate.

Jess, don't let go of your dreams.  Hold onto your ambitions.  But if you truly desire to be a messenger for change, then start that change from within.

That would be my advice.

RAB

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »
Received similar conversation from Jesse as Bucko and Hunter did.  And was the first communication which I received from him.  I was wondering who it was that spilled the beans.

"If you read POZ magazine you might enjoy the september issue, and you might find a familiar face on the cover."--excerpt from pm received from Jesse August 12, 2007 at 10:38:23 pm.

So, just putting together a profile here of who was told/bragged to.
All the people thus far were: males, white, aged 30's and 40's, gay, live in the South, post face pics, are guys who are attractive (or so I think of Bucko and Hunter anyway).
Am I missing something here?  Or have I just found something?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's a shame to see someone unable to be able to celebrate something they are proud of for accomplishing, but........I'll just leave it at this, as I can't bring myself to be repugnant.  It's easier to get your hands dirty than it is to get them clean.  I think the message conveys as stated above.
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:27 pm »
Matty the Damned may as well join the stoolie choir and reveal that the very second PM he received from Jesus was about the spread in Poz. He wasn't told it was a secret.

Even if he was told it was hush hush he still would have blabbed it to everyone in the Cabal. Matty the Damned owes Mesdames Chew and Hofmann no favours.

MtD

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2007, 08:58:40 pm »
and I had such a great little 'profile' going there.
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2007, 08:59:22 pm »
Wait till you have had this disease for quite some time like the rest of us here have had and see how much you like it then come back and tell your story. There are so many here that have stories that would blow your mind. I have been with this virus for over two years and can say when I first came here I too wanted attentiion but that changed. I went from having a CD4 count of 1 and stayed in the hospital for over 7 days and was told by the doctor to get ready for my funeral. I went from 185lbs and healthy to 125lbs and could not swallow a pill. Had to be taken to the doctor every week for four months just to get my blood work done and then they had a hard time finding a vein to stick me. :'( I went from having a job to almost dying back in 2005 and you say that your friends will always be there for you think again. My only friends that I have are right here on this site if it was not for them I would never had been here in the first place.

Now after being on meds since 2005 I finally can say my numbers are slowly climbing back up but im still under 200. My weight has finally came back. But now the sad part is I have to take meds the rest of my life just to stay alive. When you or if you ever start to take meds and your weight starts to drop and you face is not so pretty anymore and then you can say that you have lived the life of having AIDS. :'(

Damn this Disease....... >:( >:( >:(

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:26 pm »
Wait till you have had this disease for quite some time like the rest of us here have had and see how much you like it then come back and tell your story. There are so many here that have stories that would blow your mind. I have been with this virus for over two years and can say when I first came here I too wanted attentiion but that changed. I went from having a CD4 count of 1 and stayed in the hospital for over 7 days and was told by the doctor to get ready for my funeral. I went from 185lbs and healthy to 125lbs and could not swallow a pill. Had to be taken to the doctor every week for four months just to get my blood work done and then they had a hard time finding a vein to stick me. :'( I went from having a job to almost dying back in 2005 and you say that your friends will always be there for you think again. My only friends that I have are right here on this site if it was not for them I would never had been here in the first place.

Now after being on meds since 2005 I finally can say my numbers are slowly climbing back up but im still under 200. My weight has finally came back. But now the sad part is I have to take meds the rest of my life just to stay alive. When you or if you ever start to take meds and your weight starts to drop and you face is not so pretty anymore and then you can say that you have lived the life of having AIDS. :'(

Damn this Disease....... >:( >:( >:(

First off, who said I like it? I doubt anyone who gets diagnosed wants this or feels good about themselves. I bet there are many people with mind blowing stories to tell, and I have met some people in person who have told me mind blowing things. After being diagnosed I dated a guy who is on salvage treatment and trust me! I learned alot! More than I could have ever expected.
If you take care of yourself, eat right, workout, and put your health first you can maintain your health and that is exactly what I do. If I start on meds well so be it. I am not excited about it, but I have to do what I have to do in order to stay alive. As for the friends commentary I beg to differ. You don't know the people I hang with, my click, or my friends... and to be rather honest me. My friends found out from Day 1, and none of them have departed from my life. They have not pushed me away, or made me feel any less. They make me feel good about myself and make me want to keep going when I am having a bad day. Each time I go to the doctors I take a new girlfriend of mine to meet my physician and I am glad and super lucky to have these kind of friends. 
I personally feel horrible that you had to go through such tough times and I am grateful for the medical advances that have been made. Hopefully I will never reach the AIDs stage of the disease because of proper care. I am fortunate that I was diagnosed as I was converting, and I will do whatever is possible to keep myself away from the pills as long as I have to.

--Can we all now drop the subject.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
If you take care of yourself, eat right, workout, and put your health first you can maintain your health and that is exactly what I do.

I'm sorry Jess, but that's just not the case. Whilst a healthy lifestyle can help, for the majority of people with HIV it will not prevent the inexorable development of AIDS.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2007, 09:22:50 pm »
--Can we all now drop the subject.

I haven't even worked up my post in here yet.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:58 pm »
If you take care of yourself, eat right, workout, and put your health first you can maintain your health and that is exactly what I do.

I'm sorry Jess, but that's just not the case. Whilst a healthy lifestyle can help, for the majority of people with HIV it will not prevent the inexorable development of AIDS.

MtD

I understand that, but if I can maintain my numbers in good shape and my viral low I can hold off on pills that's all.
Only time will tell what will happen to me.  :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:12 pm »
Honey a healthy lifestyle is very important, but unless you're a non-progressor (and you almost certainly are not) you will require meds one day.

MtD

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:03 pm »
I haven't even worked up my post in here yet.

So problematic...
-Haineux-

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007, 09:28:33 pm »
Honey a healthy lifestyle is very important, but unless you're a non-progressor (and you almost certainly are not) you will require meds one day.

MtD

I have only had this for 6 months. So I don't know what will happen.
My numbers vary and I will try to keep them in good shape until I need the pill.
Who knows maybe I will become a non progressor, but for now all I can do is wait and watch. ;)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:31 pm »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007, 09:30:41 pm »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:42 pm »

That is super cute, and I find the humor in all this! ;D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2007, 09:36:22 pm »
Who knows maybe I will become a non progressor, but for now all I can do is wait and watch. 

I hope you're a long term non progressor or viremic controller!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2007, 09:42:40 pm »

This is also the quote that stuck out to me. Ohhhhh...... there is soooo much more to it, than that.

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2007, 09:54:12 pm »
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Bucko

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2007, 09:56:05 pm »
I understand that, but if I can maintain my numbers in good shape and my viral low I can hold off on pills that's all.
Only time will tell what will happen to me.  :)

Gosh...that was my problem. I didn't work hard enough to control my VL, and that's why I've flatlined twice. I really should have spent more time in the gym!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »

And there it is.  That right there is what has gotten my goat about this article.  And I believe for so many others here as well.
Personally, I'll give jesse some props for putting himself out there on the cover of POZ.  To announce to the world "I'm gay and HIV positive" at 19 takes some moxie.  Whatever his motives all may be, I'm not going to completely rain on his parade and down on him about it.  If I was 19 and openly positive & got featured on a magazine like POZ, I might be bursting at the seams to have people see it and talk about it, too.  And I don't think I'm the conceited type- it's just a big, exciting thing to be a part of something like that.

No, my ire falls squarely with the POZ magazine crew.  I ate a dougnut this morning that had less sugar-coating than that article.  Jesse says he wishes to maybe be a spokesman and educator to other young people about HIV / AIDS...but what message would they be getting from a look at this article?  

Be young, be attractive, be affluent, have fabulous friends...HIV:  It's all right here.

POZ Magazine deserves a collective slap across the face.  Far from educational, it comes damn near to being a promotional campaign for HIV.  Hell, I almost wanted to get infected from reading it.  

Until I remembered that I already was.

POZ has done a huge disservice to its audience with the way this piece was presented.  I think they did a bit of a disservice to Jesse as well.  The above quoted statement shows the disconnect between what young people need to know about being positive and what they are being fed.  It shows how POZ is failing in its efforts to really educate and challenge.  Worse, it suggests they don't particularly care.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »
can I join you?

Great - now it's a party

Offline Longislander

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:10 pm »
Nobody can predict exactly what will happen to Jesse in his life with HIV. Jesse has a good attitude about it and that helps alot. He's young yet, as we all were, and of course there's lots for him to learn.

I have to say this- I give him a heap of credit for being polite as he can be to all of the people here who have given him the biggest ration of crap I've seen in here in a long tme. And I'm appalled that the moderators have allowed it to go on for so long.

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Bucko

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2007, 10:07:34 pm »

No, my ire falls squarely with the POZ magazine crew.  I ate a dougnut this morning that had less sugar-coating than that article.  Jesse says he wishes to maybe be a spokesman and educator to other young people about HIV / AIDS...but what message would they be getting from a look at this article? 

Be young, be attractive, be affluent, have fabulous friends...HIV:  It's all right here.

POZ Magazine deserves a collective slap across the face.  Far from educational, it comes damn near to being a promotional campaign for HIV.  Hell, I almost wanted to get infected from reading it. 

Until I remembered that I already was.

POZ has done a huge disservice to its audience with the way this piece was presented.  I think they did a bit of a disservice to Jesse as well.  The above quoted statement shows the disconnect between what young people need to know about being positive and what they are being fed.  It shows how POZ is failing in its efforts to really educate and challenge.  Worse, it suggests they don't particularly care.

I would love to agree with you wholeheartedly, Tim, except for one thing:

Regan Hoffman didn't find Jessie while she was trolling through the pages of Manhunt.net. It's never been properly explained to me how an unknown 19-year-old kid lands on the cover of a national magazine. It's not like he's ever done anything more fabulous than create a nifty MySpace page (which, BTW, is not out-poz, not that I'd expect it to be). Somehow the machinations of a celebrity wanna-be met with the shrewd calculations of a professional AIDS-careerist and shiller for Big Pharma. It's a match made on E! Television.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:07 pm »
So problematic...
-Haineux-

and what is that about?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:50 pm »
I dropped out of that readership last year because I could not identify with alot of it...  Its a bit more real being stuck in these rooms with all of ya I must say... Thanks for being here.   You to Jesse, thanks for being here.   I have to say you got a long way to go babe...  To each his own and in his own way..  Don't grow up to fast.  Enjoy what you are experiencing and living life.  None of us should squash that....  Best wishes in your young life.. 

Eric

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2007, 10:50:57 pm »
Although some good points have been made, I find the criticism of POZ magazine and Jesse to be a tad overdone.  I think some people are distorting the reality of the situation a bit.

The article is highlighting an important issue which is that young guys are continuing to seroconvert.  Maybe the fact that Jesse is not some extraordinary person is exactly what makes it possible for people to relate to him.  I think he sounds like a fairly normal young guy.  I'm sure he'll grow up a lot in the next couple of years though!

The article is not saying he's an innocent victim, it states that he knew 100% the risk he was taking and even his friends warned him.  But, as youth does, he felt invincible and didn't fully think through the consequences of his actions.  Maybe if other young guys see that HIV actually DOES get passed to young guys like Jesse, they will wake up and take notice.  Maybe Jesse can bring that message to them so that they will stay safe!

I'm really glad that Jesse has had the courage to be open about his sexual orientation and HIV status because I also think it gives a human face to the statistics regarding the continuing spread of the virus.  Yes, I think this does help to lessen the stigma of being HIV+, and I'm thankful to him for that.  I don't think this equates to glamorizing HIV.

I also don't think that somebody like Jesse, exposed to HIV in 2007, IS facing the same consequences as those who were exposed in the past.  The meds HAVE got better, and he has every reason to look forward to a long, healthy and side effect free life.  I do!

I've been poz for 9 years now and started taking meds six months ago.  I had a bumpy ride with Sustiva but have now found a regime that is entirely side effect free, and effective.  I personally don't find being HIV+ a big deal anymore, from a health perspective.  Don't hate me for being HIV+ and doing well with it!!  LOL

I'm not denying (of course) that there are people having a hard time with HIV for a variety of reasons, but the community has to acknowledge those of us who are doing well too, in order for there to be a fair presentation of everyone's experience.

Wishing you all the best, Jesse!  :-)

Andrew

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2007, 11:02:48 pm »
Nobody can predict exactly what will happen to Jesse in his life with HIV. Jesse has a good attitude about it and that helps alot. He's young yet, as we all were, and of course there's lots for him to learn.

I have to say this- I give him a heap of credit for being polite as he can be to all of the people here who have given him the biggest ration of crap I've seen in here in a long tme. And I'm appalled that the moderators have allowed it to go on for so long.

Paul

Paul -- agreed.  I have found this thread to be pretty sad, especially as a reflection of the so-called "community" that exists here.  Jesse has been called arrogant and naive again and again by the cynical mob, and has kept up a friendly demeanor in response.  So who here has the more open mind to how others perceive things?  Who here actually sounds arrogant with their one-size-fits-all-dying-from-HIV party line -- stick to it, or find some other forums!

Trust me, Jesse rubbed me the wrong way right from the get-go, but I admire any 19 year old that publically discloses their HIV status, especially THIS publically.  Sure, he's naive, but at least he's not cynical and nasty yet.  At least his mind seems to be open to the remarkable spectrum of all our experiences, living with HIV.

Peter

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Jesse has been called arrogant and naive again and again by the cynical mob, and has kept up a friendly demeanor in response.

Peter

Well, he just called me hateful before I had even posted anything in this thread.  Just for the record.

And I was in the proces of typing out a post giving him props for doing the spread.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2007, 11:21:36 pm »
I hate to say this cause its my style to be "polite" but the poor kid has been "falling" ever since he got here.  He can't seem to handle the advice that we are all trying to give him,  some gently and others not so gently, as far as being politically correct here in the threads.  Its just so damn irritating, but that's what he gets off on, the ATTENTION.  So, I guess I just fed him another bite.....sigh.
Cindy, i hate to disagree with you but I have to disagree with you.

I agree with others that POZ editorial staff may be guilty of showing the "omg this is nothing now in 2007!" face of being INFECTED by the HIV VIRUS. It would be nice if they could remind people that this IS A DEADLY VIRUS IF NOT TREATED AND THAT TREATMENT IS WILL NOT BE LIKE GETTING VITAMIN C ONCE A DAY   :-[

So I blame the POZ interviewer for not going deeper and asking Jesse what he thinks about his life with medication, his peers, his knowledge of the history of HIV and AIDS, and what he plans to do if things go bad. I can only hope that things will go good for the kid, he got infected at a time when there are many possibilities for him to live with it as an "annoyance" more than anything.

Don't blame him for not knowing anything about humps, lipoatrophy, PN, and other terrible side effects. Did I ever get to know those before I join those forums? NEVER HEARD ABOUT THEM BEFORE. The first time I heard about those terrible side effects was 6 months ago, and I thought I knew everything about HIV, because I knew everything that I was told by the mainstream media and the gay publications, which conveniently "forget" about them.

Jesse is acting like a puppy, he makes me think of my new puppy a lot, he bites a bit, lots of mouthing, nipping, but overall has only one goal in life: have fun. And I would hate that we, adults, prevent him from having fun and looking forward a long life.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2007, 11:21:55 pm »
 Sure, he's naive, but at least he's not cynical and nasty yet.  At least his mind seems to be open to the remarkable spectrum of all our experiences, living with HIV.

Peter

NEVER WILL I BE so hateful and so "bitchy" towards anyone!!!! So don't worry about me ever becoming cynical or nasty! I would never criticize anyones life or way of being!
I respect everyone for their individuality and unique characters. Everyone has something different to bring to the table, and I like that!

-Jesse

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:02 pm »
He is a bug chaser. That's what they do.

A dabble in history will illuminate that. I am many things, Peter. I am not often wrong. Certainly not about that.

Cynical? Not nearly enough, Peter. He is the future of the forums, and the pandemic.

God/ess leave you to him and it. Best of all possible wishes.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:25:28 pm by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:02 pm »
He is a bug chaser. That's that they do.
WHAT ?????????????????

This is insulting.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:45 pm »

So I blame the POZ interviewer for not going deeper and asking Jesse what he thinks about his life with medication, his peers, his knowledge of the history of HIV and AIDS, and what he plans to do if things go bad. I can only hope that things will go good for the kid, he got infected at a time when there are many possibilities for him to live with it as an "annoyance" more than anything.

Don't blame him for not knowing anything about humps, lipoatrophy, PN, and other terrible side effects. Did I ever get to know those before I join those forums? NEVER HEARD ABOUT THEM BEFORE. The first time I heard about those terrible side effects was 6 months ago, and I thought I knew everything about HIV, because I knew everything that I was told by the mainstream media and the gay publications, which conveniently "forget" about them.

Well said, Milker!  And that is what I was trying to say about them doing Jesse a disservice as well, but you said it so much better. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Bucko

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2007, 11:34:30 pm »
Cindy, i hate to disagree with you but I have to disagree with you.

I agree with others that POZ editorial staff may be guilty of showing the "omg this is nothing now in 2007!" face of being INFECTED by the HIV VIRUS. It would be nice if they could remind people that this IS A DEADLY VIRUS IF NOT TREATED AND THAT TREATMENT IS WILL NOT BE LIKE GETTING VITAMIN C ONCE A DAY   :-[

Jesse is acting like a puppy, he makes me think of my new puppy a lot, he bites a bit, lots of mouthing, nipping, but overall has only one goal in life: have fun. And I would hate that we, adults, prevent him from having fun and looking forward a long life.

Milker.

Milkie-
If you care about what kind of dog you wind up with, you need to discipline the puppy. Otherwise the house stinks and the floors are ruined.

He is a bug chaser. That's what they do.

A dabble in history will illuminate that. I am many things, Peter. I am not often wrong. Certainly not about that.

Cynical? Not nearly enough, Peter. He is the future of the forums, and the pandemic.

God/ess leave you to him and it. Best of all possible wishes.

It's a shame it took this to bring JK back into the light. Brilliant and resolutely spot-on as always.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:14 pm »
Matty the Damned suspects Poz magazine has dealt with Jesse in a supremely unethical fashion. Does the boy understand the consequences of his outing himself? Did Sally Chew explain these things to him or did she just manipulate his desperate need for attention?

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.