POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640697
  • Total Topics: 48668
  • Online Today: 241
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 167
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Saab Story  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Saab Story
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »
I have been driving this old Lebaron convertible for the past couple of years.  It has always needed something and the parts store and salvage yard people recognize me everythime I come in.  The paint is falling off and so is the driver door.  It costs the same amount the car is worth to fix the door so I have the door tied shut... Do a Dukes of Hazzard entry and exit (w/PN), when the roof is down or over the console and around the dog when it is up.  I call this car the Whale Gusher, named after a bilge pump.

Yesterday, I was watering and pulling weeds in the yard and my neighbor drives up in a Saab convertible.  He is a mechanic so different cars at their house is a normal event.  He asked me how I liked it and if I wanted it.  He bought it cheap because it needed work and said he could do the work cheap.  I looked at it this morning, the interior has a small tear in the driver seat and there is a tear in the convertible top (I can fix those).  It has nice options and so after the valve job is finished, it is mine.

What to do with the Whale Gusher?  The Chrysler Lebaron convertible seems to be popular here on the Russian River.  There is almost as many Lebarons in Guerneville as there is in the Pick n' Pull yard in Windsor.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: Saab Story
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »
keep the Whale Gusher, it sounds like a fun car.
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
keep the Whale Gusher, it sounds like a fun car.
yea, keep it as a lawn ornament
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
Heck Michael! I was SO looking forward to watching you pull up at the Powell Hotel in the Chrysler to pick up a load of AMG'ers! I just know your fellow AMG'ers wouldn't flinch--but wanted to see the look on the valets faces as they greeted you.  ;D
Now, this Saab story......took the fun out of it.
Greet Ya There in less than 6 weeks! Glad for your new wheels, fella!
Mike

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
I know, but the Whale Gusher has been valet parked.  The valet wasn't able to start the car because he didn't know of the button under the dash, the hammer in the trunk and how to pop the hood.   ;D ;D ;D  My father used to tell a story about taking a lady to her choice of restaurants (Top of the Mark) in a beat up old car.  This story took place after WWII and lunch was 20 bucks then.

I have given a lot of deep thought to Bear's suggestion about the lawn ornament.  I double checked Redneck Real Estate thread and this has not been done but could be a likely candidate for the front runner if... I brought in a back hoe and erected the car "Cadillac Ranch" style, next to the roses.  Then for only $199.99, I can add one of those after market neon light systems to the under carriage of the car and light up the pathway to the house.  I have not checked the County of Sonoma codes but I believe it could clear under a little known "car-deco landscape" option which is sometimes available to renters such as myself.

The neighbors who drive the Porches and Mercedes and are or have attorneys as close personal friends, all live and work in San Francisco and visit their river front houses on weekends.  The other concerned parties may be the living family members of the pioneer cematary but most of them have roads named after their family names so, I trust they could see the humor.

When I left Los Angeles, I dreamed of fitting in at my new home.  Being a part of the community and the voice of action and help others achieve their goals.  The first house (in Lake County) came complete with a 1976 Thunderbird, in the front yard without wheels.  Living with HIV, we need to have means to set and achieve realistic goals.  Have the best day
Michael
(who just found out he can "gift" that car by calling the Department of Motor Vehicles)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
Every once in awhile a whale gets misdirected, heads up the Bay to the Sacramento River.  In the spirit of these whales... Last night a couple from Sacramento, came to the Russian River, and took the Whale Gusher to it's new home in Sacramento.  I would guess they never use valet parking but Mrs. did put the roof down for the first drive in her new car. 

If you had read the "Collect Call from Inmate" threads would understand why I sold the car for such a low price.  The inmate wants the car back when she gets out of jail and the community of Cazadero has already thanked me for getting the drunk driver off their roads.  Her animals are safe and cared for and by Monday, we will have her personal property vacated and in storage.  Her Volvo goes into public lien sale at the end of it's 30 days impound.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:49:03 AM »
Michael~~~

I can understand how you felt about the Whale. My car which is an 85 Chevy Caprice Classic means a lot to me even though she is banged up now from the accident in March. The accident left my baby with a major dent in the rear passenger side as well as a bent rim and busted coil springs. 3 days after the acccident someone tried to rip the fender off, til this day I still say it is the asshole who hit me that did the deed but I can't prove it. The inspection runs out next month and of course I don't have the funds to get it fixed. Guess who wanted her? My son. I explained to him that it would take a bit of work and money to make her look good again but he doesn't care. He has a friend who is a mechanic and he told my son that he would hold The Blue Bitch (my name for her) in his garage til my son could give him money to start working on it. That really touched my heart.

Glad to know that your efforts were appreciated by someone even if it was not by Ms. Seabreeze. Glad her pets got taken care of and are safe. Wishes I could buy her car even though it's not a Chevy.... ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:42 AM »
Hey Queen,

18 months ago that car would have been perfect for you.  It was a one owner car with leather interior and service records.  Since then, it has hit a tree, a stationwagon, a monument, a pick-up truck and used to open the gate at the driveway of her rented house.

I did have a friend in Hawaii who was learning to drive... Joy was not drunk when she put a new Lincoln in drive and stepped on the gas.  That house now has a big window where there was once a wall and after all these years, Joy still takes a taxi.

When I was learning to drive... My parents has a pristine 1962 Corvette, the fuelie model which would be worth over $100,000 in todays market.  I was trying to impress this girl and gunned the motor when parking.  The meter ended up in the middle of the front fender.

Another car you don't want is the Olds 442, I had during my drinking days.  There was this steep hill... at the bottom was the golf course on the left and the lake on the right.  My house was on the golf course side but one night on my way home from the bars... I took a wrong turn and the car may still be in that lake.  We have to be careful what we wish for  ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.