Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

Another question

(1/1)

Patty M:
I feel like a pest but I am concerned about my brother and the swelling of his feet, what the causes could be. He said that the doctor always asks about it and now it is happening, we are new to his diagnosis and it is all still pretty scarey. My brother is taking his meds and seems to be responding to them fairly well although he ise having a reaction to his antibiotic, Bactrim, to prevent another bout of PCP. I read on the lessons section and couldn't seem to find information that I was looking for. Thanks in advance for your support. Patty M

Matty the Damned:
Patty,

There's no need to be apologetic. You're all new to this HIV thing and it's natural that you should be concerned.

As for your brother's feet, it sounds like it was something his doctor warned him might happen and now it has, is that right? If so, I can only repeat my advice of yesterday about his rash -- it's probably time he took these things back to his doctor and had them dealt with.

Bactrim sensitivity is very common and you and your brother should know that there are other treatment options for PCP prophylaxis including mepron and nebulised pentamadine. Again, your brother needs to discuss these things with his doctor.

Best wishes,

MtD

gerry:
Dapsone is another option for PCP prophylaxis that he can discuss with his doc. 

Patty M:
Thank you for the info, I have passed it on and it is so funny how things work out sometimes. Postman brought a letter from an agency and my brother has insurance now and an apt to see his doctor. Things can change so quickly. One more time thank you for all the support. Patty M

Matty the Damned:
Patty,

It's good to know that your brother has insurance. It's also good to know that he has a sister who is looking out for him.

Best wishes,

MtD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version