POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23349
  • Latest: BarryH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636663
  • Total Topics: 48323
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: thyroids and HIV  (Read 3058 times)

Offline deman69

thyroids and HIV
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I have read this forum and many forums and to be honest I think all the information is confusing me. I have a situation and I need some assistance and if someone can help me, I would appreciate this greatly.

First of all I hooked up with an ex around June 19th and we get a little hot with each other. We kissed for some time and I don’t have cuts in my mouth but my gums do bleed at times. Well we kissed for a bit and then she went down on me. About two minutes into the act, I realized what I was doing with her was not cool because ever since we broke up, I don't know how many other guys she has been with.

My questions are the following:

I have had some symptoms but can't make out if they are HIV related. My body is tired and my muscles ache. I have not noticed any swollen glands and to be honest I could not understand to what degree something has to be swollen to be called that. I get sore throats on a regular basis but getting it now scares the crap out of me. I have lost a few pounds but no fever or I have not noticed anything severe. I am diabetic and my sugar stays quite high at times. I don't know if these symptoms are due to my sugar level or can they be HIV related. At times my face is very hot and I feel like needles in my arms and legs.

I want to get tested but they say a blood test would be good only after three months and I am currently in the second month or about 56 days

Here is the big catch... I have a steady girlfriend and we have not had sex since my encounter with my ex. I would not want to put her at risk if I did get something. It is ruining our relationship and I don't know how to tell her what happened. I want to get tested but I want to know how long I need to wait to get a good result from the blood work.

Also what is the real risk of getting oral sex and is it true that if you are circumcised the risk is even lower.

I don’t know how to put my mind to an ease until the test and I don’t know what to make out of my symptoms and the kind of activity I had with my ex.

Can someone also explain what else I can look for to see if it really is HIV related?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Please help me understand my risk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »
de,

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection. Period. End of story. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you will not be the first.

However, you and your current gf should be using condoms unless you have been tested together. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline deman69

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
Ann,

I really appreciate the advise. My steady gf has been tested and she is negative and I was negative about six months ago. I am just worried about my last exposure. Here is my confusions. When I go to CDC's website they state that there have been documented cases of HIV through oral sex but most of the forums I read, it states else wise. I am just so concerned and freaked out, I don't know what to do. I think I have the " I have HIV" disease. Everything I see wrong in my body makes me think it is symptoms from the virus. I know it counts for some medical help in some ways but i just want to question CDC's postings.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
de,

"Oral sex" is a mighty big blanket. While there is a theoretical risk to GIVING a blowjob, there is no risk of hiv whatsoever in GETTING a blowjob.

If you're having physical problems, see your doctor. Whatever is going on, it won't be hiv from getting a blowjob.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline deman69

How Long do I need to wait
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »
I am looking to get an HIV blood test from a local clinic. I have been pushing off for some time but I wanted to know if I get the test now, will it be valid.

My contact was around Jun 19th and it's about 60 days now. I know they say to wait 90 days but would this window give me accurate results.

I have two kids and one recent born. I have been pushing off having sex with my wife for some time now and want to first know my status before I say anything to her. Since she is breast feeding, I would never want to put her or my child in danger.

Please advise.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: How Long do I need to wait
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »
Please keep all of your entries in your original thread. I've merged your threads.

The CDC recommends testing at 13 weeks past the most recent risky incident.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. A negative at 6 weeks means you will most likely continue to test negative.

You haven't said anything specifically about why you think you need to test. If you let us know why you're concerned we may be able to gauge your level of risk.

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:19:32 AM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline deman69

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »
I guess my old forum is there and that is why i did not state my reasons.

I am still very worried and confused. I have been feeling extra tired, fever and sore throats, my sugar level is way whacked then it should be and i am thinking maybe it's because I have th virus and it's effecting my body already.

I know oral is not at risk, but I test for sugar four times a day and put many holes in my hands to test. I know they are minor holes but sometimes I wonder if they can be enough to get the virus.

To be honest, I am not in denial, i know most of my most of this is mental, but I guess I am afraid to get tested, think i am negative, have sex with my wife and transmit it to her and my child who is breast feeding.

TO ALL MARRIED MEN - use your head.. the worst is to be in a situation like mine where you want to be with your wife but can't because you don't know your status.

if anyone reads this and is married, i hope this is a lesson learned for all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:52:48 AM »
Stop with all the guilt drama and get tested at the appropriate time. I can't tell from what you've written when you will be at 13 weeks. In any case, I don't see that you have really done anything risky, so I expect you will test negative, but only the test result will give you that reassuring answer for sure.

As for your laundry list of symptoms, they are of course not in any way HIV-specific. Discuss them with your doctor.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:54:48 AM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline deman69

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
risk around June 19th - so I am at 60 days right now? is that sufficient?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
For a NO RISK? Yes it is sufficient.

Offline deman69

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
To All,

Thanks for all of your support. I finally managed to get the nerves to go and get tested and it came back negative. Today is day 60. I know they say you should get tested again after the window period is over.. but i need guidance... i am hoping i can put this behind me and move om with my wife and kids

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »
de,

You tested negative because you ARE hiv negative. You didn't have a risk with your ex. Neither kissing nor getting a blowjob are risks for hiv infection, as we have already told you.

You do not need further testing. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline deman69

thyroids and HIV
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »
Can someone please answer a question for me. Does Thyroids have a direct connection with HIV. For example if a blood test showed that your thyroids are below normal level and the doctor wants to check for it again in a month, would they be screening for HIV. I had an HIV test after two Month's of exposure from a low risk activity and it was negative. When they ran by blood test now the Hepatitis test came back negative.

I am just concerned again if my doctor is screening for HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: thyroids and HIV
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
There's absolutely no direct connection between thyroid problems and HIV.

And if there is any doubt about your HIV status the ONLY sure and certain way to know your accurate status is to get tested at 13 weeks after the most recent risky incident. Everything else is guesswork and HIV is never something to guess about.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: thyroids and HIV
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »
de,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You tested negative because you ARE hiv negative. You didn't have a risk with your ex. Neither kissing nor getting a blowjob are risks for hiv infection, as we have already told you.

You do not need further testing. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.