Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

What stresses you the Most about being HIV+

<< < (2/5) > >>

bear60:
Quote Philly: "Today the stress is mostly what I call "long term battle scars" in that I think my mind is fucked residually from it all.  I've spent the last couple of years in therapy seeking to correct this and manage it. "
This statement comes closest to what I feel is LONG TERM HIV stress for me.  Philly is right on target. Its called POST TRAUMATIC STRESS SYNDRONE.  I am starting to come out of a LONG LONG period of time in which I barely functioned. Grief and mourning are my two biggest HIV stressors. Fear of the unknown a close second.
The rest is just what we deal with everyday....... bumps along the road.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: bear60 on August 01, 2007, 04:22:08 PM ---This statement comes closest to what I feel is LONG TERM HIV stress for me.  Philly is right on target. Its called POST TRAUMATIC STRESS SYNDRONE.  I am starting to come out of a LONG LONG period of time in which I barely functioned. Grief and mourning are my two biggest HIV stressors. Fear of the unknown a close second.
The rest is just what we deal with everyday....... bumps along the road.

--- End quote ---

Well, all I can say is that you've been exposed to the stress much longer than I have so I can only imagine.

::hugs::

I wish someone had warned me that this PTS would happen but I guess they thought I'd be buried by now.

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: newbernswiss on July 31, 2007, 02:38:04 PM ---What is the one thing that stresses you the most being HIV+.  :'(

--- End quote ---

22 years ago, I would have different answers to that question. Today, My biggest stress factor, is knowing that someday, I may not be able to work. Keeping busy, has always been a part of my life. Without work, my healthcare plan goes out the window. So,...maintaining work and my healthcare, is something I think about often, and it can get stressful at times,work can be stressful at times,.. but I try to keep it under control as best I can.

Take care------Ray

GSOgymrat:
Oops. I thought this was in the Living With HIV forum. Careless clicking!

redhotmuslbear:
People and institutions who tell me that I should be stressed about having HIV; and HIVers who believe that having the bug gives one a free pass on living recklessly, so I should behave that way, too.

I'll raise my hand for being a member of the PTSD Club, but it's from living through all of the death when I was in my teens and 20s and avoiding testing.

When I went off meds 96 weeks ago, I fgured that I would be off for a few months, then back on.  When I got labelled an LTNP six months later and agreed to stay off meds for research purposes, I started having "til the next shoe drops" thoughts for several weeks.  Then, I reminded myself that whatever will be will be, knowing that I can influence positive outcomes only by caring for myself to the best of my abilities--and that includes keeping an optimistic outlook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version