POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23587
  • Latest: obie1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640577
  • Total Topics: 48654
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thoughts On Quitting Smoking  (Read 3072 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Thoughts On Quitting Smoking
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:11:19 PM »
It's been three weeks. 

I can breathe much more deeply.  I can smell stuff again.  I can taste stuff again.  Cheap beer and Andre champagne taste like complete and utter ass to me, though.  I have expensive tastes again... but I can now afford it.     

The coughing fits have subsided, and I'm no longer bringing up the gunk of 2004. 

My skin isn't greyish anymore.  I don't look as tired all the time; my energy levels have gone through the goddamn roof, and it's nice to not have to run to the store to buy cigarettes at inconvenient times anymore.

Oh, and the bags under my eyes have disappeared.   

Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner? 

I would've quit quitting if the rewards weren't so immediate.

From a former pack and half a day smoker, I really have to recommend quitting.  It's not that bad... and it frees up money for booze and hookers. 

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Thoughts On Quitting Smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:03:44 PM »
Well, hell, if it means I will be able to get booze and hookers (o.k., just the hookers), then I'm there! :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »
God, you have turned into such a little girl.

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:29:30 AM »
damn sanctimonious moralizer... I'm through with you

::goes and lights a cig::
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:39:08 AM »
I dunno, I smoke about 2 packs each day, can breathe, have flawless skin and sometimes think about quitting.  Silly me... I can glue on a 20 mg patch and still want to smoke and often did.  Have the best day
Michael

Dan J.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
I think about quitting, sometimes. Just haven't actually TRIED ... 

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »
damn sanctimonious moralizer...

And he's Atheist doncha know...

Seriously though, Good job AU. Glad to hear your world is cleaning up from the inside out. You may still get urges that will come at random times even 6 months or so down the road. Just be prepared for them.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »
I can't imagine smoking 2 packs/day.  I smoke about 10 cigarettes each day, maybe 15... certainly not an entire pack.  Plus I only smoke about 2/3 of each one.

I've quit several times.  Once immediately upon diagnosis when I delved into acupuncture, blue green algae, digestive enzymes and some sort of Chinese boxwood shrub herbal crap... my farts were nasty on the algae.   Worse than Truvada farts.  That lasted about a year or so, and ungodly amounts of money.  Have you ever seen your piss color when you take lots of tumeric?

Then about 7 years ago I underwent hypnosis with my psychiatrist (he was NOT a quack... he knew what he was doing( and I did manage to stay off of them for about 3 years until I had a major crisis of unseemly proportions which I never, ever discuss on the board... it was that bad.  Let's just say it involved lots of lawyers.

I think I may quit soon if this Chantix is all that.  I don't even drink anymore so it's  not like I need a prop by the bar.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
If you want to watch people's eyes glaze over regale them with stories of how you quit smoking, especially effective when you're in a bar and your patented pickup line has failed. Pointing out that you no longer have yellow teeth and don't stink is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Most people don't realize smoking is bad for them and need to be constantly reminded by the newly nonsmoking.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
    • The Spin Cycle
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 02:21:54 PM »
Quitting's for quitters.

Brent
(Who keeps his commitments)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

The revolutionary smart set reads The Spin Cycle at least once every day.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
I'm having some delightful Peruvian fair trade organic coffee right now, and then I'll be reaching for a Camel.  Then it's off to the liquor store for some bitters to make my Spin Cycle drink.

... or Quinquina

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »
you no longer have yellow teeth

;D ;D ;D Oral hygiene begins in Aisle 5 with tooth brush and floss ;D ;D ;D  The rest is up to the individual.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 08:24:40 PM »
Move on over boys! Quitting has been foisted upon me. AAAAAAaAAaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh
Since I am currently in dire straits, I cannot buy cigarettes, or anything else for that matter. This from an ardent two pack a day person. I AM LOSING MY FUCKING MIND!!!
Stick around for chapter two gang, as I will likely be losing my phone/internet service in a couple of weeks too.
I have been taking large drinks of ice water whenever I feel the urge for a ciggie, then I do a few deep breaths, and try to think of something else. Y'all take pity on my son. I've already warned him to get his bitchometer in perfect operating condition, because it's about to get real, REAL, ugly up in here. YeeeeeeHaaaaa!  >:(   :o
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »
My first BF borrowed a human lung exhibit from a hospital and left it on my desk... One section was a piece of a smokers lung and the other section was a non-smoker lung.  I would have enjoyed some roses.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
Philly..." Plus I only smoke about 2/3 of each one."
what do you do with the remaining 1/3rd?  I hope you dont toss it out....such a waste. I remember searching through the ashtray for a smokable butt.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »
Yeah, I toss it out as it's all scrunched up... I know such a waste.  If I'm too lazy to run out in the rain or something for another pack I dig through the ashtray and find a few suitable butts, but I always find that kind of nasty and desperate.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
I dig through the ashtray and find a few suitable butts, but I always find that kind of nasty and desperate.
Yeah, I dug through the trash and find a few suitable desperate butts too :D

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjasô

Offline mjmel

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 10:48:31 AM »
Well, Benj, what's next? Love? Marriage (of a sort)....... it'll soon be here for us to read, "Benj finds a groovy guy!"
You are posting so many wholesome -n- positive posts recently.

Just as a heads up to those of you out there that are without private insurance, my med assistance card paid for my Rx of Chantix........which I had to refill twice. I miss smoking in thought only cause when I light one up (just to be testy) it taste like shit and i don't finish it. Guess I'm really done with it, after all.
xxx,
Mike

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »
Its funny I am sort of the opposite of Benji here I have once again started to do all the things bad for me. I started smoking again, I smoke pot again, and I drink like a fish. I do not have sex but never really did much of that anyway. Just enough to get HIV, my luck. I suppose because it seems like living what I thought was a pretty clean life did not pay off for me. I figured what the hell. I am going to do what I enjoy now. My smoking in my own environment, drinking without driving, all of this hurts no one but me. I raised four kids, sought spiritualism, keep a clean environment, work daily and consider others. It hasn't gotten me to far in the world. Some vices that bring me enjoyment will not hurt.
Peter

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
My drug of choice.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
Yeah, I dug through the trash and find a few suitable desperate butts too :D

Milker.

I don't miss doing that...LOL

Rich
(who only smokes buds now, not butts)

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
Tonight, my friend Jennie and I are getting completely wasted and plan on being horrible people to everyone we come into contact with. 

And then on Friday, illegal activities are planned.

No smoking will be involved.

If you think I'm forgetting where I came from, you people are crazy.  I'm making major changes, but taking on someone else's "complete wholesomness or else" dogma is a little silly to me.

Plus, the thought of me going completely organic is... ew.  I might be slowing down as I come upon my second quarter of a century, but if you think I'm stopping, you're out of your damn minds.   ;D

If you guys are reeeeeeeeeeealy lucky, you'll get extremely peppy and serotonin-addled messages on Friday night followed by, "oh Jesus, where did that blood come from" posts on Saturday.

Whoo hoo!

I think I'm going to write a book called "Benj Yourself Thin: Having Higher Qualilty Fun Through Moderation, Exercise, and Blow."

Granted... my motto is no longer "Party Forever!"  It's now "Party Fairly Often... But Really, Really Well."  Which admittedly doesn't have the same ring to it... but it will probably end up keeping staph infections at bay or something.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
Since this thought provoking thread has started... I have managed to cut down smoking to only 1 pack per day.  However comma the Buds are prescribed  ;D and I choose to stay healthy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.