POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 09:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24267
  • Latest: jpchc
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650121
  • Total Topics: 49625
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: GOD BLESS TAMMY FAYE!!!  (Read 4127 times)

Offline RICKY77531

• just Chill
06/2007   CD4 266  Vl 62000
06/2007   CD4 200  Vl 13495
07/2007   ATRIPLA
09/2007   CD4 323  VL Undetectable
11/2007   CD4 428  VL Undetectable
01/2008   CD4 357  VL Undetectable
04/2008   CD4 357  VL UNDETECTABLE
08/2008   CD4 402  VL UNDETECTABLE
11/2008   CD4 421  79 DETECTABLE..
2/2009     CD4 450  VL UNDETECTABLE

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: GOD BLESS TAMMY FAYE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:27:29 PM »
I watched her on Larry King, with tears in my eyes....she has that skeletal death look, that I have seen all too often....

I wish her peace in the journey.....

Alan  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:16:32 AM »
It's a shame she's suffering.  No one should have to die from cancer - it's terrible.  I can't however forget how integral a part she was in the right-wing Christian money machine way back when.  And gays were and are still a main target of their persecution.  Oh. well.  For her at least that's water under the bridge, as she's given it up.  I wish her peace as well in that big Kmart in the sky.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »
It's a shame she's suffering.  No one should have to die from cancer - it's terrible.  I can't however forget how integral a part she was in the right-wing Christian money machine way back when.  And gays were and are still a main target of their persecution.  Oh. well.  For her at least that's water under the bridge, as she's given it up.  I wish her peace as well in that big Kmart in the sky.

However, if I am not mistaken she was one of the first if not the first talk show host to have a person with AIDS on a talk show.  She and Jim Baker were hosts of the PTL club at the time.  She also was a special guest and performed at the Louisville Fairness* Derby Bash a few years ago.

I wish her much peace,
Woods

*Louisville Fairness is the local organization for GLBT civil rights issues and other social justice concerns.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:36:10 AM »
I didn't know much about Tammy Faye until I watched the documentary "The Eyes of Tammy Faye". She is definitely gay friendly and even had a show cohosted by Jim J. Bullock, who is gay and HIV+. Woods is correct that she was one of the first and only televangelists to be supportive of people with AIDS back in the 80s. She comes across in the documentary as being guileless, empathetic. She really just wanted to wear lots of makeup, sing, laugh, cry and make people feel better. I'm very sorry she is going through cancer.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »
I grew up in Charlotte NC, and remember when Jim and Tammy ran a little studio down the road producing an afternoon children's show. It wasn't until years and years later that the money and sex became Jim's stumbling blocks.

"Right-wing Christian money machine"? Not until Falwell took over. While J & T were the leaders, the church was quite "eumenical" and just too liberal for most of the other local fundmental Baptist churches. (They has drums and guitars for their Sunday morning music and were quite gay friendly.) After the basically "hositle takeover" by the "Moral Majority", a best selling t-shirt in the area had a picture of a large makeup smear across the front, with the caption "I ran into Tammy Faye at the Mall". It was quite funny but showed how much their status had dropped in the area.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
I watched the interview last night also. The main thing I took away from it all was how at peace she was with her fate & that big smile she had on her face.  She is a great lady & will be missed very much by many people.

Dan J.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:53:02 PM »
A friend of mine was a juror on the Jim Baker trial, her journal was printed in the Charlotte Observer at the close of his trial. Being the professional hag that she was (is) her first impression of ol' Jimmie-boy was that he was a "queer as a three dollar bill." She nailed that one.

I loved watching PTL back in the day, it was benign and kitsch and not overly religious. Tammy Faye's appeal to the mo's was obvious. It was must-see daytime TV back in the eighties.

From the chumps that donated to the final takeover of Heritage it all proved that there truly is a sucker born everyday.

Everybody please join me in a chorus of Send In the Clowns.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:08 AM »
I totally lost it when I watched Tammy Faye on Larry King.  No one deserves to be ravaged by a disease like that.  I sobbed like a baby all the way through the interview.  Can you imagine having such faith in the face of such dispair?  I'm sure some of you can.  It seems so unfair.  She's not perfect, she may even have been more culpable in the PTL scandal, but she paid for that.  Besides, her imperfections and mannerisms make her who she is. 

I just wanted to hold her and kiss her and tell her I love her, even though I've never met her.  What a saint.  If she doesn't go to heaven, no one's going.  What a beautiful person.  My sister couldn't understand why I was so upset because the only Tammy Faye she knows is the one people made fun of years ago and still make fun of.  Tammy's done a lot for many of our brothers and sisters with AIDS when no one else would come near us.  I wish a miracle would happen.

Sam

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 12:13:22 AM »
I'm with you Sam.....this would be a GREAT time for a miracle!

In any case, I wish her peace and love, and she can truly say she was loved by MANY MANY people.   Not everyone can make that claim.

Alan

PS - hers is one of the few 'celebrity' autographed photos I've ever paid for (I have a collection of them) and now I'm glad I have it.   She wrote "To Alan, with love, Tammy Faye"
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:32:36 AM »
That was sad.  God bless her and I hope she (and her family) finds peace soon.  I never saw her as part of the Christian right (or a homophobe).  But, I don't think a lot of people will ever forget that she was very much involved with her ex-husband in cheating all those old and poor people out of millions.  She lived an extravagant lifestyle while pretending to give that money to those in need.  Cancer doesn't and shouldn't erase that part of her history.  There were a lot of people hurt by the PTL scandal.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 07:50:45 AM »
She just fell in with the wrong crowd- christianidiots....

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 05:55:58 PM »
LOL  I was unaware Tammy Faye had become a gay fetish like Cher, Liza, and Judy.  Who'd've thunk?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
***BREAKING NEWS*** Tammy Faye Messner dead at 65

Can I just say AMAZING WOMAN!  Anyone that can appear a few days before death in the throes of lung cancer is simply amazing.  That really takes courage, and my hat is off  to this woman's strength and love.  Can you imagine existing on only eat chicken soup and rice pudding?

If only we can all end our lives with such positive energy and grace... if you missed this interview you missed a lot.

source

Tammy Faye Messner, the Christian singer, evangelist, entrepreneur, talk show host and scandal survivor has died of lung cancer. She was 65 years old.

Messner appeared on CNN's Larry King Live on July 19, and told the talk show host that she weighed 65 pounds and could only eat chicken soup and rice pudding.

Tammy Faye first battled cancer in 1996, when she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She successfully treated the disease but on March 19, 2004, just 2 weeks after her 62nd birthday, she announced she had lung cancer.

Illness was one of many battles Tammy Faye took on her during her life. She is best known as the ex-wife of Jim Bakker, the disgraced televengalist, convicted felon and admitted adulterer.

Tammy Faye and Jim married in 1961 with the goal of starting a traveling ministry. In 1973, the Bakkers established the short-lived Trinity Broadcasting Systems. The following year, Jim and Tammy Faye became the hosts of an existing North Carolina-based talk show, which they renamed the PTL (Praise the Lord) Club. Fueled by the success of the PTL Club, the Bakkers quickly established an entire Christian television network.

Fame, money and two children followed.

The Bakkers' empire began to unravel in 1980, when the national spotlight fell on Jim's adulterous affair with a church secretary, Jessica Hahn.

Adding fuel to the fire, investigations into Bakker's finances culminated in Jimís conviction of fraud and conspiracy in 1989. During the tumultuous six-week trial, the federal government succeeded in proving that Jim solicited a total of $158 million from followers of the PTL, with about 4 million used for personal means). He was given a 45-year prison sentence, which was later reduced to six years.

In 1992, after a 31-year relationship, Tammy Faye and Jim divorced. The following year, Tammy Faye wed Roe Messner, a family friend and business associate of the Bakkers. Shortly after their marriage, Messner was imprisoned for fraud, but has since been released.

Tammy Faye was the subject of a fairly well-received documentary, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" (2000) and then in 2004, appeared in the VH-1 reality series The Surreal Life.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:25:39 PM by philly267 »
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »
Philly, I was amazed to see her do that interview. What courage and devoution she had.

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 11:48:48 PM »
Rest in Peace Tammy Faye. I grew up in North Carolina just north of Charlotte and have been to Heritage USA and seen PTL on the TV and all over the news when the scandal broke.  As much as some did not like her she was genuine in her intentions and her love for others.  What great lady she was and I know she will be missed greatly.
 :-\
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »
RIP Tammy Faye Messner

O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies
O they tell me of a home far away
O they tell me of a place where no storm clouds rise
O they tell me of an uncloudy day
O they tell me of a place where my friends have gone
O they tell me of that land far away
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Sheds its fragrance on an uncloudy day

O the land of cloudless day
O the land of an uncloudy sky
O they tell me of uncloudy day

O they tell me that he smiles on his children there
And his smile drives their sorrows away
And they tell me that no tears ever come again
In that lovely land of uncloudy day

O the land of cloudless day
O the land of an uncloudy day

Offline camille07

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »
Rest in Peace Tammy Faye. I grew up in North Carolina just north of Charlotte and have been to Heritage USA and seen PTL on the TV and all over the news when the scandal broke.  As much as some did not like her she was genuine in her intentions and her love for others.  What great lady she was and I know she will be missed greatly.
 :-\

I'm very sad for her passing and thought she was a great person in the later years...I think she was sincere in her beliefs but got gobbled by money and fame.

Tammy F. was truly extravagant.  I too went to PTL, had a fabulous time as a teen ager, brought my best friend.   The best thing Heritage had was these amazing ice cream shakes.  So my friend and I would sneak out to meet up with the "boys", and when some crazy saw us kissing, we took off in a furry.  I ran in hysterics, and in the cliche of all cliche's I  tripped and fell....shake everywhere.  Mother, I got up, dizzied, and kept running, but my shake, at 13  it's important.  Boy + shake + fall = teenage ass.....and that's probably where my problems began.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 02:37:21 AM »
Philly, I was amazed to see her do that interview. What courage and devoution she had.

Yes, in an odd way superficially it was actually quite beautiful.  To see someone so unafraid of suffering and showing it to the world... it was just amazing.  The world want so desperately to ignore death, but it's so much more healthy to embrace it really.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 09:13:17 AM »
I still have a Tammy Faye t shirt....it's the one that looks like she blotted her face on it....sort of a smeared version of herself.  I feel sad that she is gone.
modified to add: her son has a ministry now that includes gay folks...and I think he is gay .....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:12:18 AM by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Carolann

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
I cannot say I feel sorry for all those idiots who sent her money, as those are the haters in the world. She was a fraud, but I guess you cannot rape the willing. However bilking naive senior citizens out of their life savings should still be looked down upon. She died doing what made her happy, being a media whore. Having relatives who have battled cancer I still feel for her, as nobody deserves the ravages of disease (well almost nobody). If there is heaven, I don\'t think she will be in it though. She had to know that what she did was wrong, when she was doing it. I love the argument that I can do whatever, and if I accept my Jesus as my lord and savior I will still play with the tigers and the lambs in heaven, what a crock of shit.

CA

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »
My Dad passed from cancer so I have some sympathy for her but also agrees with CA. If they hadn't got caught they would still be preaching their nonsense and beating people out of money. I think she was sorry she got caught but sings her Lord's praises because she didn't have to do time like Jim....Sorry, I can only be so sympathetic...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
I cannot say I feel sorry for all those idiots who sent her money, as those are the haters in the world. She was a fraud, but I guess you cannot rape the willing. However bilking naive senior citizens out of their life savings should still be looked down upon. She died doing what made her happy, being a media whore. Having relatives who have battled cancer I still feel for her, as nobody deserves the ravages of disease (well almost nobody). If there is heaven, I don\'t think she will be in it though. She had to know that what she did was wrong, when she was doing it. I love the argument that I can do whatever, and if I accept my Jesus as my lord and savior I will still play with the tigers and the lambs in heaven, what a crock of shit.

CA

Ouch! People screw up in life, some more than others. I would hope that when my time comes people remember that I was human and that maybe, just maybe I did something good in my life and only wish me peace.

RIP Tammy Faye

Offline bryonut

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 04:02:42 PM »
her son has a ministry now that includes gay folks...and I think he is gay .....

Its called Revolution NYC. Gay? I wish, hes married. :( but like you said Revolution accepts everyone.

http://www.revolutionnyc.com/

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

CA
Ouch.  I think that if any of us found something as big as PTL/Heritage USA there is a large chance we could lose our way.  I honestly feel that is what happened with Jim and Tammy Faye.  They lost the true sight of what PTL/Hertiage USA was and should have been.  Honestly when Jerry Falwell took it over he was no better in his lying ways either.  I honestly feel Tammy Faye was sorry for what happened and she has said it many times.  I think her book "Telling it My Way" covers a lot of the PTL/Heritage USA scandal.  Yes, it was wrong and it should not have happened but it did and she was very sorry for it.
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »
Its called Revolution NYC. Gay? I wish, hes married. :( but like you said Revolution accepts everyone.

http://www.revolutionnyc.com/

Gay and married are not mutually exclusive conditions, as so many can attest to.  My gay-dar  went off when I saw the TV special.

But, he gets to define himself exactly the way he wants to.  Just as we all do (theoretically).

As for his mother, consider Donne:  "Ask not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

RIP sister.

JR
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline bryonut

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
Gay and married are not mutually exclusive conditions, as so many can attest to. 

Dang it, your right.

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »
Does anyone else have this T shirt?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »
I actually have that T shirt though it is very faded now and of course haven't worn it in years.  I also feel she was courageous to go on television like that KNOWING that her looks, makeup etc were so important to her.  Yes, she may have fucked up in life and made some major mistakes.  But who hasn't?  She, at least to me, seemed like a good soul and did much good in her time and her faith was absolute.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
Living in NC that t-shirt was everywhere. Loved it!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.