Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

undetctable?

(1/2) > >>

sherm:
Two days ago my doctor called and said that my last test came back and I am now undetectable. In five months I've gone from 750,000 to undect. I quickly shared this news with family and friends and have been flooded with questions that I am sorry to say I don't have an answer to (or the right answer at least)
 Q: Is this something like remission? is there such a thing?

Q: Do they think there could be a chance they can kill the virus altogether? 

Q: What is a normal T cell count range?

???
Thanks

milker:
This is excellent news!!!! :D :D :D Are you on meds?

The virus is undetectable but still there, unfortunately. It's not only in the blood but also in other parts of the body. An interesting discussion about undetectable status can be found there: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=10502.0 Undetectable means that the machine used to count the viral load was not sensitive enough to find a few copies (currently most machines have a limit of < 50 copies, but now we're starting to see ultra sensitive ones that can detect less than 50 copies) in the sample of blood that was used for the test.

Same answer. Some new drugs may be able to help the body "kill" the virus in areas difficult to reach (e.g. brain).

500-1500 for T4 cell counts, which I think it is what you're asking.

Your undetectable status is fabulous, coming from 750K you can definitely celebrate!

Milker.

aztecan:
Hey Sherm,

--- Quote from: sherm on July 19, 2007, 11:10:33 AM ---Two days ago my doctor called and said that my last test came back and I am now undetectable. In five months I've gone from 750,000 to undetectable. I quickly shared this news with family and friends and have been flooded with questions that I am sorry to say I don't have an answer to (or the right answer at least)

???
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Q: Is this something like remission? is there such a thing? No, unfortunately, as Milker explained, the bug hides elsewhere in the body and is still active there. So, keeping it undetectable in the blood is very good, but it isn't in remission.

Q: Do they think there could be a chance they can kill the virus altogether?  I believe you mean eradicate it from the body, like is done with bacterial infections. The answer, unfortunately, is again no. The meds just cannot reach all of the places the virus lives and the virus is just too prolific.

Q: What is a normal T cell count range? 500 - 1,500, as our Milker said. The T-cell count can vary a great deal, sometimes even changing within a few hours.

Wow, you are now undetectable and are doing well otherwise. I think you have cause to celebrate. So, in honor of that, I declare today a cheesecake day!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

sherm:
Thanks for the information. very helpful
My medication is Fuzeon, truvada, mk158 (research) I was told this is a salvage program I was at 2 t-cells now 58 and climbing so very happy and yes I think I will have that cheesecake ;D

milker:
There are other members on here using Fuzeon and I think mk158 too with amazing results. So cheesecake day it is!

Milker.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version