POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 646936
  • Total Topics: 49286
  • Online Today: 167
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 132
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about GeoVax  (Read 2251 times)

Offline inmontreal

Question about GeoVax
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »
so this vaccine GeoVax...Im guessing this is only for people who are not infected right...I take it the rest of us who its too late for are stuck with meds?

Offline JamieD

Re: Question about GeoVax
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:30:25 PM »
No, they are trying to market it as a therapeutic vaccine too.
It's not even gone through phase 2 clinical trials yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up until it finishes phase 3 clinical trials.

Offline inmontreal

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
well im gonna keep hoping that theres a light at the end of this dark tunnel hot stuff..cuz its about time we demand people to hurry things along already...and get these people off their lunch breaks!

Offline JamieD

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »
About time we demand? How do you think most of the early anti-HIV drugs got approved so quickly? Political Pressure.
In the US only about 1 in 250 people is infected, although it might seem like I am minimising the amount the shear numbers are very small in Western countries so people don't care. HIV might not be strictly a gay disease, but the vast majority of HIV+ persons are gay men or Intravenous drug users.... these are not two groups of people that everyone cares about.

Offline inmontreal

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »
i agree..but at least people are seeing what an impact its already having on the straight world by having this virus leak into their world..and most likely there are alot more than we think because straight people dont assume it happens to them..Gay people always get tested, thats why we have bigger numbers..but imagine after 10 years..how its going to affect the straight world..by then ..its too late..more people will be dead..Is it really gone to the point that we have to wait on that time? This is a totally fucked up situation..Why is it that we have to pour money into stupid wars when we have a ticking time bomb thats waiting to go off here?

Offline Jake72

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
Then again, look at Hep C.  Like HIV, it is often associated with IV drug users, but it has never received the priority attention or funding that HIV has.   Yet there was a 'cure' for Hep C first.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Is it really all about politics? Plus GOOD NEWS!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:46 PM »
Then again, look at Hep C.  Like HIV, it is often associated with IV drug users, but it has never received the priority attention or funding that HIV has.   Yet there was a 'cure' for Hep C first.

It might be seductive to believe that HEP C "cures" (hey, they are painful treatments, not necessarily permanent, with better ones around the corner) were "discovered" first because someone who shoots drugs is not quite as low in the social pecking order as a someone who enjoys anal sex, but I doubt you have any evidence to prove your political point. By next year you many see a public campaign around Hep C with several aims, including increasing funding for research and expanding treatment access. I will support it, and will not play the American game of my disease is worse/better than yours. Some folks here have multiple infections.

This "rain on your parade" man has some good news to share:
There are two promising drugs both nearly ready for public release (many are taking them now), inigrase for most poz and TMC-125 for those who are harder to treat (salvage therapy). I know a friend with terrible history, who belongs to the latter group. His CD4s tripled to eleven (not sure what to make of that!) but more importantly his massive VL (perhaps over a million many years) is presently undetectable. This certainly is promising. He belongs to the demographic least amenable to successful treatment.

8) -megasept

Offline Jake72

Re: Is it really all about politics? Plus GOOD NEWS!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:50:30 AM »
It might be seductive to believe that HEP C "cures" (hey, they are painful treatments, not necessarily permanent, with better ones around the corner) were "discovered" first because someone who shoots drugs is not quite as low in the social pecking order as a someone who enjoys anal sex, but I doubt you have any evidence to prove your political point.

You appear to have missed my point entirely, which was that even if you have a disease with a lot of funding and awareness that largely affects marginalized populations, more attention and more funding won't necessarily bring about a faster 'cure' (comparing it to Hep C, which ALSO largely affects marginalized populations, yet has always received less attention and less funding than HIV/AIDS).  It was more a slam at some (but not all) pharmaceutical firms that seem to be dragging their feet on the HIV issue, not because of stigma but because of $$$.

I was saying that HIV and Hep C are associated with the SAME marginalized group of people (IV drug users), so...no pecking order, and this was in response to JamieD's post  'HIV might not be strictly a gay disease, but the vast majority of HIV+ persons are gay men or Intravenous drug users.... these are not two groups of people that everyone cares about?' 

I think it's odd that you refer to the 'American game of my disease is worse/better than yours' since this attitude is found in many, if not most countries, or do you really think that in, say, Thailand or Greece, acne or psoriasis is put on the same level as pancreatic cancer?  Some diseases and condition are more serious than others and require more urgent solutions.  Look at the current political/legal battle between HIV/AIDS researchers Aiuti and Ensoli in Italy.  Would this have really happened with genital herpes? 

Worldwide, not all diseases are viewed as equal in terms of financial or research interests or even public policy.  When was the last time you saw a blanket immigration ban anywhere for HCV+ travellers/immigrants, even though HCV affects more people and is more easily transmissible than HIV?  Yet scores of nations, even some so-called 'enlightened' first-world nations, routinely ban HIV+ folks from visiting or moving there.  As 'seductive' and trendy as you might find America-bashing to be, obviously quite a few people outside the USA are also making distinctions between diseases.  And this includes patients around the world who argue for more and better treatments for their own diseases on the basis of their severity or threat.

Anyway, back to my original point: with regard to the word 'cure' for Hepatitis C, that was in response to a thread referring to this research:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070521155314.htm

And concerning the funding argument, the HCV advocacy group HCV Action states that "HCV research now gets roughly ten times the funding it got in 1996, but this is still less than one tenth of the money spent per death on AIDS research." (http://home.hcvaction.org/hcvact/published/HomePage).

It is true that this may be premature, and the 'cure' may not be permanent (though obviously we hope it will be!). but the idea that some people can be off treatment for seven years after therapy is a lot further than we've come with HIV (and Hep C was discovered years later than HIV).  So even with less attention, less time, and less funding, research for HCV, a disease that also largely affects stigmatized groups, has seemingly come a lot farther than HIV research.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:23:43 AM by Jake72 »

Offline messer

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 06:52:13 PM »
All good points.    GeoVax, to their credit, has been more transparent and forthcoming than most companies with information about the progress they're making with their hiv vaccine products.     They are planning a trial to vaccinate infected persons in 2008, so we're part of their plan.    That's an exciting development!    Less encouraging, in their corporate fact sheet, Geovax states that we the infected are "secondary targets".    HVTN and NIH initially focused funds on preventative vaccine research.   Maybe GeoVax can take cheer and courage that HVTN admitted a goal of a vaccination should now be to prevent transmission of the virus.    That sounds like a nod to the notion of a therapeutic hiv vaccine.       I wonder how many people the GeoVax therapeutic vaccine trial will try to incorporate.     The GeoVaxwebsite publishes a wealth of information about all things GeoVax.    Adequate stock valuation is a part of the equation.    But thats ok.     I wouldn't mind one iota if they all got filthy rich.   Is there such a thing as being "filthy rich"?   Maybe not.   But,  Dr. Harriett Robinson through the NIH, and the HVTN have been working on this GeoVax vaccine for 19 years.  At the Global Vaccine Enterprise meeting in Seattle this month Global Vaccine Enterprise said a goal should now focus on reducing transmission of the virus.    Maybe its just me, but seems like an effective therapeutic vaccination(providing that "sustained virolgical response") would go a long way towards eliminating new infections.    If a therapeutic vaccine were available, a lot of people would come out the woodwork to get tested.   We may see that see a larger number of heterosexual infected persons than is currently estimated to exist.     Maybe GeoVax and or HVTN  needs to hear more pro-comments from the positive community to encourage them in their efforts to help bring this along vital therapy to market for us .  Maybe a pro-therapeutic vaccine letter writing campaign to GeoVax and or the HVTN!    (Maybe it will be Merck with a therapeutic vaccination).    Would they be upset, or happy, if they got a ton of emails, letters, phone calls from the positive community stating our excited expectations for their work to be a a therapeutic success?   Could that detrimental to our interests?    Maybe we'll see more therapeutic products like Curocom come along quickly once it becomes evident that even one potential therapeutic vaccine is about to be marketed or released in some expanded access treatment.  Maybe the bioinjector 2000 as a delivery device, which has demonstrated significant increases in T-cell and antibody responses is a part of the mix.    GeoVax's vaccine is already being accelerated in trials due to their repeated successes.      GeoVax says they will be publishing additional results later this year about the trial which began in September 2006.    As expressed by Tachi Yamada. director of global health with the Global Vaccine Enterprise...."the time for a vaccine is now"!     I like his enthusiasm.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.