POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23068
  • Latest: soutni
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632239
  • Total Topics: 47873
  • Online Today: 259
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Seborrheic Dermatitis, Yeast Infections, and Treatment[s]???  (Read 3133 times)

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
I've searched here and Googled these topics, and have battled Seb. Derm. for some time. It has actually gotten better in the last year, but my recent research suggests  YEAST CONNECTION is correlated to active Seb. Derm., even in us living with HIV.

In fact, mine recently flared up after a week on binging on my favorite soy CHOCOLATE "ice cream." Comfort food, you know ... can anyone relate??!!

However when I Google YEAST INFECTION I get [1] praise for apple cider vinegar, which seems to aggravate my condition, or [2] yeast infection in WOMEN.

So do any of you HIV Plussers have any [1] natural/alternative  or [2] OTC/prescription treatments for yeast infections.

Lowell

PS - I have started using Neutragena T-Gel shampoo and put a few drops of tea tree oil into my soapy wash cloth to cleanse my face.
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis, Yeast Infections, and Treatment[s]???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
Well, many here I'm sure have had thrush which is a type of yeast infection.  If your cd4's are low and you have a white tint to the inside of your mouth you likely have it.  In fact I got it once when I was even up in the 400's.  I believe I was prescribed Diflucan when I had this.

I would use more than netragena and tea tree oil for dermatitis -- sounds more like what one would use daily for simply normal skin without HIV.  How bad is your dermatitis and what has your doctor said?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »
Well, many here I'm sure have had thrush which is a type of yeast infection.  If your cd4's are low and you have a white tint to the inside of your mouth you likely have it.  In fact I got it once when I was even up in the 400's.  I believe I was prescribed Diflucan when I had this.

I would use more than netragena and tea tree oil for dermatitis -- sounds more like what one would use daily for simply normal skin without HIV.  How bad is your dermatitis and what has your doctor said?

My doctor has never initiated a discussion about it. But I have. It is not as bad as I've seen, but it makes me self-conscious ... and it's not invisible. People tend to think I have been took long in the sun. Even thought I am "Black" I am fair skinned with blond hairs on my arm and mixed on my head. The Neutragena shampooing every other day and washing my face with diluted tea tree oil has helped. My recent comfort-food binge and my research leads me to believe it is yeast-related. I think the chocolate and some breads I have been eating may have flared things up. So I'm wondering what MORE I may do besides my current regiment and laying off chocolate and wheat-based products.

I do not have nor never had thrush.
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
Dermatitis in HIV patients is thought to be yeast oriented (Pityrosporum ovale), but it's not been proven conclusively.  I know you have stated your cd4's are at the lower end so logically it's activating this, regardless of whether it's what you're eating or not.  This is one of those issues that no matter how much you google you'll not find a magic bullet, but most places indicate that treating with steroid ointments and/or anti-fungal creams work best.

When I have gotten it I have used prescriptions for about a month, and once it's controlled better I use a skin cleanser that has glycolic acid in it.  Glycolic acid will remove the flaky skin that allows the yeast (or whatever) to activate.  You're basically just exfoliating, don't let the word "acid" scare you off.  It's not a harsh ingredient.

I would still recommend starting off with Ketoconazole based shampoo and a cortosoid cream, but I guess it depends on how bad your skin is.  Dermatitis is seen in 85% of people with HIV and I guarantee you doctors rarely initiate the discussion... they're more focused on jabbing you with a needle and looking at lab numbers unfortunately.  However, all of my doctors that I've been vocal and insistent with have either packed me off to a dermatologist or prescribed what I just stated.  I've been dealing with this for the past 7 years off and on.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.