POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 25, 2014, 04:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24283
  • Latest: mineal
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650354
  • Total Topics: 49650
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 112
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Acupuncture  (Read 5322 times)

Offline cmhjeff

Acupuncture
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
I'm finally giving acupuncture a try. I've thought about it for a long time and I finally have an interview/consultation tomorrow with a well known acupuncturist here in town. I'm excited to find out how I could benefit from acupuncture. My vision therapy is coming to an end and this is just the next step in knowing I did everything possible to recover. Maybe my cd4 will finally pass 200. Maybe I'll regain feeling on my left side. Maybe I'll have less depression. Maybe my vision will improve. Yes there are lots of maybes but if I don't try I'll never know.
Wish me luck
Jeff

Offline Christine

Re: Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:21:46 PM »
Hi Jeff,
I see an acupuncturist for guasha, it is a type of acupuncture that does not use needles. It uses pressure along the meridian points. I feel it has helped with the nausea, and fatigue.

Make sure your acupuncturist is licensed or accredited..depends on your state requirements. Ask him/her about their educational background. A four year degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine is optimal. Make sure they follow HIPPA rules and regulations.

Good luck with it. Keep us updated.
Christine

edited for typo
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 12:42:26 PM »
Wishing you good balance and great energy flow.  I hope your experience is as good as mine has been!!!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Longislander

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
I hope you can get rid of some of those maybe's . Good luck with it~

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »
Christine & Bear Thanks! I'm excited and willing to try just about anything. I so want to find a sense of peace and normalcy in my life again. My step sister in New Mexico is a big believer in acupuncture and has recommended acupuncture for quite some time. Water Duck has also been gracious to answer my many questions about acupuncture for several months. Thanks Water Duck! I'll keep you posted just as I have with my vision therapy. I omitted her name but here is some information about the acupuncturist I'll be seeing.

NCCAOM Certified Acupuncturist
Certified Chinese Herbalist

Graduated from Samra University of Oriental Medicine at Los Angeles in June 1999 with a degree in Master of Science in Oriental Medicine.

She has also worked with Dr. Jong Jin Lee at the Kang Nam Clinic in Los Angeles. Under the supervision of Dr. Jong Jin Lee, Lani began to specialize in pain management, age-related illness, stroke and physical rehabilitation.

In addition, she received further training on a wide range of herbal treatments including for infertility, impotence, immunity build-up, as well as treating medication side-effects for cancer and HIV/AIDS, from Dr. Joon Pill Lee, one of the most renowned Chinese Medical Herb Practitioner in the Los Angeles area.

Education:
MSOM: Samra Oriental Medical University
Ohio State University
UC Santa Barbara

Professional Credentials:
NCCAOM Certified Acupuncturist and Chinese Herbalist
California State Board Licensed Acupuncturist
Ohio State Medical Board Registered Acupuncturist, # 65-00-0007

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
Jeff,
She sounds excellent! You might want to talk to her about nutrition and diet. TCM looks at food differently than Western medicine, and she might be able to help you set up a diet that will help to balance your body.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
    • The Spin Cycle
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »
Jeff-

My own experience with acupuncture was powerful as it was happening but I think required more follow-up than I could afford at the time.

Like Yoga (to which it is rather closely related), it involves lifestyle changes and a greater understanding of the mind/body/spirit connection than is common in western societies.

It will do no harm and might lead to improvements in your condition...perhaps even a spiritual breakthrough.

Brent
(Who needs to practice what he's learned more vigorously)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

The revolutionary smart set reads The Spin Cycle at least once every day.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline water duck

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
Acupuncture being a part of my culture did not propose a problem for me, therefore i can understand you being sceptical about it. The main thing it seek out to do is to balance the yin-yang energies of the body.  Kindly keep in mind that it is not a cure all. I do believe that acupuncture can bring you some comfort and help, having a notion of your problems, i am keeping my fingers crossed for you and wish you lots and lots of good luck.

{{{ Like Yoga (to which it is rather closely related), it involves lifestyle changes and a greater understanding of the mind/body/spirit connection than is common in western societies. }}}

Massage would be closer , as acupuncture is more precise and less intuitive; that necessitated years of studies. Western science had invented a machine to measure the "voltage of the current " created by these needles as such the wide recognition, in some european countries, some reimbursement from the health insurance can be done. I know nothing of US health systems, so i have no comments.

So Jeff, if you don't give it a try, you will never know, and NOBODY can tell you how to look after your health except yourself.

A warm hug.

Wd

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »
Hi Jeff
I've had good results from acupuncture for a variety of issues.
Wishing you favorable results.
Em

Offline Nadine

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
Best of luck to you my friend!

Love ya!
Nadine

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »
So I had my first appointment Saturday and instead of acupuncture I was evaluated for medicine and food allergies. Then I was given a NAET treatment focusing on the central nervous system. I was expecting acupuncture so I'm still trying to understand NAET.
Here's the Link I'm using to read up on NAET.

http://www.naet.com

I'll give it a few weeks to better understand but since I don't drive and cost I can't do the frequency suggested.

Being unsure about the entire process and expecting acupuncture I crashed mentally Saturday afternoon and evening because the appointment did not meet my expectations.

Better luck next Saturday

Offline water duck

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »
So sorry that your 1st appointment was not up to your expectation, Jeff !!

Does she knows that you are poz ?? and that the problems you are now facing are related to that ??
and that we are talking about HIV and not allergies ??

Offline allanq

• still life with pills
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »
Jeff,

I looked at the naet.com website, and it did not give me a good impression. It makes sweeping and exaggerated claims about allergies as the cause of disease. It ignores, or at least minimizes, the role of bacteria, viruses, and parasites.

Allan

Top (Breakfast): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress, Zoloft (2), Glyburide (2), Aspirin
Bottom right (Dinner): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress
Bottom left (Bedtime): Sustiva, Trazodone (2), Lipitor, Septra (no longer taking this)
Center: Alprazolam (Xanax)
Not shown: various vitamins & supplements

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »
Jeff
Its true that acupuncturists focus on the WHOLE body and cannot treat you properly with acupuncture unless they understand what is going on in your body....how you eat and sleep etc.

That said..  did you talk about HIV? Did you discuss your needs?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
When I went to treatment for drug dependency, I, along with some of the other people, were given acupuncture in the ears.  I have never felt so relaxed.  I hope your next appointment goes better.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 05:56:37 AM »
Jeff, I have a lot of needles left. Tell me where to stick them and we can do it for free.  ;)

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »
Okay let's try this again. After being left with nothing but uncertainties and suggestions from Siang and my sister I've decided to go with another doctor. Where as my first appointment was with a registered acupuncturist this time I'm going to meet with a DOM Doctor of Oriental Medicine. I just got off the phone with him and he took all the time I needed to discuss my situation and my needs. He knows about my AIDS status as well about PML. He was honest enough to tell me he has not treated someone with PML but has experience with HIV/AIDS and an extensive background with stroke patients which seems like a plus since my PML symptoms are closely similar to stroke. The first acupuncturist wasn't going to do acupuncture until I did about 8 sessions of NAET energy work but this doctor will begin acupuncture on the first visit. I already have a better feeling about this. I'll keep you postedJeff

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
Okay let's try this again. After being left with nothing but uncertainties and suggestions from Siang and my sister I've decided to go with another doctor. Where as my first appointment was with a registered acupuncturist this time I'm going to meet with a DOM Doctor of Oriental Medicine. I just got off the phone with him and he took all the time I needed to discuss my situation and my needs. He knows about my AIDS status as well about PML. He was honest enough to tell me he has not treated someone with PML but has experience with HIV/AIDS and an extensive background with stroke patients which seems like a plus since my PML symptoms are closely similar to stroke. The first acupuncturist wasn't going to do acupuncture until I did about 8 sessions of NAET energy work but this doctor will begin acupuncture on the first visit. I already have a better feeling about this. I'll keep you postedJeff

*sigh* (of relief)

i'll pm you honey

Offline water duck

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 02:52:47 AM »
Well Jeff,

That is very good news , wish you lots of courage to see the end of this.

Alex thanks for your contribution and support.   :-*

Offline Nadine

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »
Jeff, I'm glad that you decided to seek out a DOM.  I wish you all the best my friend!

Love ya!

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »
Alex, Siang and Nadine thank you! My first appointment will be Sunday at 2 and then I'll go twice a week for 3 weeks. I'll be sure to post on Monday about my appointment.

Here is the bio of who I'll be seeing:

DOM, R.Ac. is a master practitioner of acupuncture with over ten years of experience, and was the first registered acupuncturist to practice in Ohio. Highly trained in all the branches of Oriental medicine, his particular expertise is in the area of acupuncture physical medicine utilizing very specialized techniques for pain management.  He is a member of the American Academy of Pain Management, and is a former vice-president of the Ohio Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.  He is a graduate of  Southwest Acupuncture College in Albuquerque, New Mexico. After receiving his Doctor of Oriental Medicine, Tom Turpen received advanced acupuncture training in a WHO (World Health Organization) collaborative program  in Beijing, China.  There he treated patients in inpatient and outpatient settings focusing primarily on neurological disorders and physical medicine. Prior to coming to Ohio, he was a physician in private practice in Albuquerque dedicated primarily to pain management. Board certified in acupuncture by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, he is also a trained in homeopathic medicine. He is a graduate of the British Institute of Homeopathy in Canada, and is certified in Homotoxicology by the International Society for Homotoxicology in Baden-Baden, Germany. In addition to his practice of acupuncture, he is a long time practitioner of kung fu as well as various Taoist arts and sciences. He has deeply studied East Asian philosophy for about 20 years, and is a practitioner of Chan (Chinese Zen).

Offline water duck

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
i shall keep my fingers crossed, hoping that at long last !! you have found someone to provide you with the adequate help !!

****acupuncture physical medicine utilizing very specialized techniques for pain management*****
don't you think this is what you need ??

Thank you for keeping us update, good luck !!

Wd

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 07:40:56 PM »
he is also a trained in homeopathic medicine. He is a graduate of the British Institute of Homeopathy in Canada, and is certified in Homotoxicology by the International Society for Homotoxicology in Baden-Baden, Germany.

Oh, you mentioned the H word. :-\ Ermm, *sigh*, just wanna quickly say this to you and anyone reading: Just like anywhere, you as a patient have full rights to disagree/refuse any facet of treatment that you "don't feel right about". This is your body we're talking about. Neither are you obligated to justify to anyone why you refuse something. Remember, a decision is a decision, not a discussion. Remember, these ain't antiretrovirals we're discussing here. We're talking complementary stuff and that whole complementary world ... Okay, truth be known, I'm saying this because I think homeopathic "medicine" a load of crock wrongfully used in [otherwise tenable] private practices to help "balance the books$"  >:( (just my layman's opinion) So if homeopathic "remedies" are suggested/touted first (and I predict they will be), remember my words and don't feel pressured to agree, okay honey?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:38:38 PM by allopathicholistic »

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »
Oh, you mentioned the H word. :-\ Ermm, *sigh*, just wanna quickly say this to you and anyone reading: Just like anywhere, you as a patient have full rights to disagree/refuse any facet of treatment that you "don't feel right about". This is your body we're talking about. Neither are you obligated to justify to anyone why you refuse something. Remember, a decision is a decision, not a discussion. Remember, these ain't antiretrovirals we're discussing here. We're talking complementary stuff and that whole complementary world ... Okay, truth be known, I'm saying this because I think homeopathic "medicine" a load of crock wrongfully used in [otherwise tenable] private practices to help "balance the books$"  >:( (just my layman's opinion) So if homeopathic "remedies" are suggested/touted first (and I predict they will be), remember my words and don't feel pressured to agree, okay honey?

Alex I appreciate your honesty and concern. One of the things I liked when I first talked to this acupuncturist is that he really listened to what i had to say and what my needs are. One of the first things that I told him was that I have an infectious disease doctor to treat my HIV/AIDS and that I was completely satisfied with my medications. He knows I hope to get some relief from the residual PML shit that I live with everyday and just to help me relax. I'm sure I'll get a better opinion once we actually meet on Sunday.

Jeff

Offline Nadine

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
Hey Sunshine....hope things go well for you tomorrow!

Love ya!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
Jeff, ask him when you go in, if he can get bugs out of peoples asses? There are a few people I'd like to send him.  ;) No Nadine, I didn't have you on the list. hmmm... ::)

Offline bear60

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »
I hope you let us know how things go with the acupuncture.
Good luck with the "new" guy.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
My first acupuncture treatment on Sunday went very well!  :) I blogged today on My Space about seeing NEKKED perform Friday at a bar here in town so I'll share more about my acupuncture treatment tomorrow.

Hugs!

Hugs!

and more Hugs!

Jeff

Offline Nadine

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »
Aren't you outta bed yet?
We're waiting....

Offline bear60

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »
 ::)
I'm with Nadine here. We're waiting.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »
Aren't you outta bed yet?
We're waiting....

Nadine you're so funny! :) Since Friday I've been waking up at 6 to exercise with Jeffrey. I've already walked the treadmill for 30 minutes and showered. Just listening to my morning talk show on Sirius OutQ now.

So my first acupuncture appointment was Sunday and I have 2 appointments scheduled for this week. Jeffrey sat in with me as the doctor did his evaluation and he made us both feel very comfortable. As on the phone he was  upfront an honest that he was not familiar with PML but seemed to have a good understanding of HIV. He took notes about PML and seemed interested in where he could find more PML info. From our discussion of my symptoms and from physical exam of my muscles he said my symptom are similar to stroke which he is very familiar with. Jeffrey didn't want to be in the room during the acupuncture treatment so he waited in the lobby. The doctor placed the needles in my left shoulder. Left and right forearm and left and right big toe. To be honest inserting the needles happened so quick and painlessly that I lost track of where he put them all. Before leaving me for 20 minutes he put several 4 to 6 needles in my left ear. He said the area of the ear was to help with brain activity and he uses the same points with his stroke patients. He talked about meridians and oriental medicine and so much more that I simply couldn't retain it all. He said he would use more needles at my next appointment so the first treatment was not a full treatment but a test to see how I reacted to the needles. Later that day I seemed to be a little weak on my left side and more dizzy at times but it was never unbearable. I'll be sure to tell him about that on Wednesday when I see him again. It's probably to soon to tell and although it didn't last I also had some decreased tone in my left shoulder on Sunday night.

I'm comfortable with treatment and looking forward to Wednesday for my next treatment.
His only supplementation recommendation was to switch from fish oil to NKO Neptune Krill Oil. He also said he would recommend some herbal mushrooms on my next appointment. I'll listen to his recommendations but wouldn't add or change without asking around for some opinions so be prepared.  ;)

Thanks
Jeff

Offline bear60

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
Jeff thats great.  Thanks for the update. I hope you benefit from this kind of treatment.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Jeff...I really hope this treatment offers you some relief.
Since you told me about the accupuncture, I've asked some of my co-workers if any of them were familiar with it.  Two of them have had it and two others had family members that have had it and one of those was for a stoke,  I've been hearing good things!  :)

Love ya bunches!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.