Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

What is the % i keep hearing people talk about??

(1/1)

guynsotulsa:
Hey All..

Do not mean to sound stupid but I am somewhat new to all this.... What is the % that every one keeps talking about and how do i figure mine out? My ID Doc has never said anything about a %...

Please Advise.
Jason ???

milker:
It is the percentage of CD4 compared to the overall number of white blood cells. We like percentages, because there is a lot of variance in the number of cells during the day, but the percentage stays more or less the same, for example if you have 34% CD4, it could mean that you have 1020 CD4s out of 3000, as well as 578 out of 1700. A good percentage is above 35%.

Milker.

frenchpat:
Hi Jason,

here's more about CD4's and percentages. Besides the Forum this site has a lot of information for you.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/TCellTest_4727.shtml

Also, be most welcome to this weird family.

Pat

milker:
I forgot to say.. ask your doctor for the percentage. Sometimes they don't give it out because people don't understand what it is, so now that you know, just ask for it :D

Milker.

gerry:

--- Quote from: milker on June 23, 2007, 04:52:04 PM ---It is the percentage of CD4 compared to the overall number of white blood cells.

--- End quote ---

Sorry to be picky Milker, but it should be the percentage of CD4 compared to the overall number of lymphocytes.  There are other white blood cells that are not lymphocytes (e.g., neutrophils, monocytes, eosinophils, basophils) that add to the total white blood cell count but they don't count when determining the CD4 percent.

To add to the original response, when looking at CD4 trends over time, it's good to look at both the absolute CD4 count and the CD4%.  If they're not trending in the same direction (e.g., sudden drop in CD4 count but CD4% remains the same or higher), then there might be something wrong with the test results and a retest might be in order if the drop is significant enough, especially if the decision to initiate treatment hinges on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version