POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636488
  • Total Topics: 48310
  • Online Today: 258
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 157
Total: 163

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to find and have compassion for others ...  (Read 919 times)

Offline newbernswiss

Trying to find and have compassion for others ...
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:16:33 PM »
Hello Everyone,
Just need to vent some here today. As some of you know I work in healthcare. Today was, to say the least, difficult to tolerate. I spent 4 hours listening to people who were survivors. Here is my list: heart transplant survivor, lung transplant survivor, kidney transplant survivor, cancer suvivor. They each had wonderful stories of near death experiences and how they each had found the gift of life through either a transplant or treatment. I listened intently and then had my questions of each survivor and of the medical teams involved. My difficulity started with, the transplant program;  in the region, does not let HIV+ people receive a needed organ transplant. As I was told an HIV+ person has to many other comorbidities. OK, I guess that smoking and distroying one's lungs/ heart and drinking/drugs distroying one's liver/kidneys is not a comorbity. Yes I know that some may just have genic diseases which cause organ failure.  I can understand an HIV positive person not giving a donation but not receiving a needed organ, I just don't get it. The medical team went on the say how you have to have some type of funding to get a transplant. OK what if your homeless, in between jobs with out insurance, whatever...I think everyone should have a fair shot at living, not just the insured or those with the big wallets of money. As I listened I grew anxious that I have a story of survival that most in the medical field and some in the community does not what to hear or acknowledge. I have survived HIV, live and work with HIV. I take care of sick people who do not know I have HIV and they can make me sick. I was listening to the liver transplant patient state how he could not work due to fatigue. Honey,  can we talk about fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, and to many other side effects to metion, but I work full time just to keep good health insurance, keep a roof over my head and my positive partner. The bottom line for me, I know that if I got up and spoke about my HIV survival, I would be an outcast in the medical field and risk losing my job so I have to sit and just listen to the other survivors while many of us are kept in silence due to fear, ignorance, shame, discrimination. For whatever the reasons society generally does not want an HIV positive nurse, doctor, dentist, and sometimes others taking care of them, so we have to work in silence for rist of losing or having restricted professional license. I'm so thankful that many of you are out on the frontlines yelling out in support of persons infected an affected by HIV. I need your voice to be my voice as I continue on my journey.

Offline RICKY77531

• just Chill
Re: Trying to find and have compassion for others ...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
I agree with you about the ignorance of the understanding of hiv...at my workplace if anyone knew I was positive they would discriminate..I work in the petrochemical industry..even some of my friends are ignorant and they don't know I have it...but I put them in their place.
06/2007   CD4 266  Vl 62000
06/2007   CD4 200  Vl 13495
07/2007   ATRIPLA
09/2007   CD4 323  VL Undetectable
11/2007   CD4 428  VL Undetectable
01/2008   CD4 357  VL Undetectable
04/2008   CD4 357  VL UNDETECTABLE
08/2008   CD4 402  VL UNDETECTABLE
11/2008   CD4 421  79 DETECTABLE..
2/2009     CD4 450  VL UNDETECTABLE

Offline Iggy

Re: Trying to find and have compassion for others ...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:03 PM »
I think your post touches on two very incredible points -

The med community  (or those in immediate need of assistance from it)  perception of those with HIV.  I agree that my perception of many is that there is an enormous amount of both ignorance and hypocrisy, yet frankly you and others who are in the medical community can discuss this better than I can since I would just be speaking of my perceptions and not of experience or first hand knowledge..

This brings us to the second item:

I was listening to the liver transplant patient state how he could not work due to fatigue. Honey,  can we talk about fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, and to many other side effects to metion, but I work full time just to keep good health insurance, keep a roof over my head and my positive partner.

I know I'm not going within the spirit of what you write here - but what struck me is the absence of recognition of fear and sickness are relative. 

To you with HIV who is healthy enough to work - it almost seems that you are forgetting or not understanding what the person who is sick enough to be in the hospital is dealing with in regards to their liver transplant.

I know I may seem like I'm challenging your perceptions of what it is like to have hiv and the self imposed silence you must accept in order to survive in your career - but I'm not.  I was just struck by how much we can become forgetful that just because we are able to deal with our status or live without public notice at a particular moment that it means that others must also as well - whether they are also HIV poz or afflicted with some other debilitating issue.

Having lost several family members to cancer I guess I'm a tad bit sensitive to the idea of your my affliction is worth more than yours type rationale.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:41:43 PM by Iggy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.