POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632101
  • Total Topics: 47860
  • Online Today: 251
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Waiver of Coverage/Training sick people  (Read 1529 times)

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
Waiver of Coverage/Training sick people
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »

Could the day be any longer?

So I'm leaving my current job.  I have another job lined up with health insurance that I start a week from Monday.  The woman who handles the insurance gave me a 'Waiver of Coverage' form to fill out which I have taken home with me.  From what I understand from looking at this if I fill it out I will waive my right to COBRA.  I am ending my insurance with the company, but I'm a bit hesitant to just waive my COBRA rights.  I assume I'll start the new job and everything will be fine, but in the off chance that it doesn't work out if I sign this and waive my rights then I guess I'm just screwed, right?  Does anyone know what this is?

Anyway, I've been training this kid to take over my job (I say kid because my boss is too cheap to actually hire someone qualified to take over my job).  He's been coughing all week.  He said he had a cold, but was over it.  This morning he told me he went to the ER last night where they said he might have pneumonia, but then he started feeling better and they just discharged him and told him to take tylenol (oooookay?).  So I'm like Jesus H. Christ what kind of walking death does this kid have and I have to sit next to him while he coughs all day???  I was going to the bathroom like every hour to wash my hands and face which seems like a futile effort to avoid catching whatever he has.

I swear, he's okay with the computer networking stuff but my boss writes out all sorts of communication in long hand (old school) and I know his hand writing is bad, but I seriously wanted to blow my brains out...I sat there for hours translating my boss's poor cursive for this kid to type.  I kept trying to get him to figure out the words for himself, 'So, what's the first letter?  Okay, it has a tail so it must be a g,j,q,p,or y right????'  Do they not teach cursive in school anymore?  I felt like a grade school teacher.  I kept having to make him look at the context of the sentence to decipher the word.  I wanted to die.

So aside from the serious drain of this I think I feel okay.  But I'm scared to death training this kid is quite literally going to kill me.

Whew, I had to vent. One more week, one more week, one more week!!!!

Any thoughts on the waiver of coverage would be appreciated.

Thanks,
brian

Offline MitchMiller

Re: Waiver of Coverage/Training sick people
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html
According to this doc, you have 60 days to make up your mind.  Just to be sure there isn't some hidden loophole that permits a co. to get around this rule, I'd be sure to get it all straight with your current employer before leaving.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »

Mitch,

Thanks so much for the link. 

According to this I assume that even if I sign this document I could still revoke the waiver within the 60 day period.

"If I waive COBRA coverage during the election period, can I still get coverage at a later date?
If a qualified beneficiary waives COBRA coverage during the election period, he or she may revoke the waiver of coverage before the end of the election period.  A beneficiary may then elect COBRA coverage.  Then, the plan need only provide continuation coverage beginning on the date the waiver is revoked."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:30:23 AM »
Hi OP,

I think if I were in the same position as you with regards to the "kid", here's what I'd be doing. After first making a valiant effort to get the kid to understand about deciphering handwriting (which you've done), I'd give up, quite frankly. If your boss is too cheap to hire someone with a bit of what amounts to common sense and basic qualifications, then the onus certainly isn't on you to instill these qualities in some youngster. Your cheap boss deserves what he pays for. ;)

In other words, it's not your problem.

Fingers crossed the hand and face washing spares you whatever dreaded lurgy this kid is hacking all over the place. Good luck with your new job too! (and sorry, but I don't have a clue about COBRA)

Ann
xxx

PS - if he's still coughing next week, perhaps a lecture entitled "cover your damned mouth when you cough!" is in order!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 05:41:30 AM »
otherplaces, to me it would depend on the insurance of the new company I was going to, such as; is there a waiting period for preexisting illnesses? That would be my biggest concern. 

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

Rod,

I have continuous coverage which should offset any pre-existing condition.

Ann,

Yes, I do believe I have to wash my hands of the situation...so to speak.  :P

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »
Brian,

I would NOT sign that waiver.  If you have 60 days to sign up for COBRA, then you have 60 days (of course, if you DO sign up on day 59, you have to pay the premiums back to day 1).  Why complicate the whole process by waiving this right -- even if it can be revoked (which, of course, could become a huge hassle if your old company doesn't know or doesn't want to know, the law).

It's been years since I was in a COBRA scenario, but I was told, by the HR rep from the company I was leaving, that I didn't need to do anything, until I was ready to sign up (which, I ended up not needing).

My 2 cents

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

Part of me wonders if she can see how much is spent on me through the group policy and is itching to get me off of it.  I know they can't know what health condition I have, but I do think they do see what is being spent on each employee (actuary reports? I think?).  If so I'm sure mine looks unusually high for a 32 year old.

I feel better knowing I can revoke the waiver, but I'll just call her on monday and ask why I, or anyone, would waive their COBRA rights under any circumstances.

thanks,
brian

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.