Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Mental health and sustiva

(1/6) > >>

aztecan:
I think this is the right place to post this because it has everything to do with keeping my mental health intact.

OK, I knew about the dreams Sustiva can cause, the depression, etc. What I didn't know - and nobody bothered to tell me - was the feeling of anxiousness.

I guess they call this anxiety in the literature. I hate it. I feel like something terrible is going to happen. I can't shake it and I can't seem to work through it.

As far as the Sustiva dreams go, is it normal not to be able to tell the difference between being awake and being asleep?

I often wake up feeling as though I haven't slept at all. Yet, I know I must have because hours have passed. But I often wonder if I am dreaming being awake or am really awake.

I dreamed I was smoking last night. It was so real, I awakened with a cough two hours late.

Sometime during the night, the dishes were rinsed and put in the dishwasher. I was beat, so I thought I would do it in the morning. I woke up, went to make coffee, and they were already put in the dishwasher.

Since I live alone and, barring any visits from friendly ghosts, I must have gotten out of bed and put them in myself. I used to sleepwalk when I was young. I haven't in years. It appears I am at it again.

I am just afraid I will do something in my sleep I shouldn't and wake up in a mess or injure myself.

I used to sleepwalk when I was very tired or exhausted. The problem is, I feel that way all the time now. I could sleep 24 hours a day and never feel rested.

I doze off without warning. I had to stop repeatedly on a drive home the other day because I found myself staring blankly at oncoming traffic - with the car drifting that way. It was only a two-hour drive and shouldn't have bothered me in the least.

What I want to know is, have others experienced this and, if so, did these psychological symptoms pass. It has been six weeks since I started Sustiva. I was hoping I would have adjusted by now.

How long did it take for people to get back to being normal again?

HUGS,

Mark

Ithaca_Nights:
Mark,
I have not sleep walked or had the dreams, but have had the anxiety and not feeling at all rested.  I have been on sustiva since last July.  I take xanax for the anxiety part.  It has gotten a lot better, but has not completely gone away.  I take .5 to 1.0 mg at night before bed and sometimes during the day, but that is rare anymore.  Hope this helps you out.
Dan

guynsotulsa:
Mark,

I have been on it since jan 20th, and in the beginning I had to take a sleeping pill... The dreams are very vivid!!  I will tell ya that it does get better the dreams that is.. I no longer need the sleeping pill...

guynsotulsa

lucas clay:

--- Quote from: aztecan on June 15, 2007, 01:56:57 PM ---

As far as the Sustiva dreams go, is it normal not to be able to tell the difference between being awake and being asleep?

I often wake up feeling as though I haven't slept at all. Yet, I know I must have because hours have passed. But I often wonder if I am dreaming being awake or am really awake.

--- End quote ---
mark,
 I have the 2 symptoms you have and its still the same for me after2 years.
I hate having to go to work dead tired, or dreaming about work and then having to go to work dead tired .Its like pulling 2 shifts and only getting paid for one.
I hear the side effects ease up for most people with time, hope they do for you

Lucas

Andy Velez:
Mark, I'm really glad you opened this thread. I had been looking earlier today at the similar one you have in LTS and debating whether to move it here or not. Obviously I decided not to even though the issue is certainly very relevant in this section.

It's such a powerful drug. Which is why reactions to being on it can be so intense. The plus is how effective it is when it kicks in treatment wise. While intense reactions to it are fairly common, generally I have that around a month or so those taper off. But 6 weeks wouldn't be so out of the ballpark to still be adjusting.

Have you discussed this concern with your doctor? That business of having to pull over when you're driving is understandably concerning. I think a conversation with your doc is in order. If you're not due for a checkup soon then I would say pick up the phone.

Hugs to you buddy,     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version