Off Topic Forums > Forums Gatherings

What do you know about Montréal ?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Cliff:
It's full of Frenchie separatists that forced French on everyone, which resulted in all the major businesses moving to Toronto.  The city has been in decline ever since.  That's all I know.   :P  ;D  Is it true?

The Canuck:
Cliff,

There's only a few companies who left when the first separatist government was elected in November 1976 and that's it, it was 30 years ago. Since then we had two referendums both lost by the separatists, there's no indication either they would win another one, quite the contrary actually.

The city has been in declined for several reasons after the 1976 Olympic and mostly for financial problems, but it has changed for the better in the late '80s , and getting better since then too although there are still a lot to do. Yet, this certainly one of the most interesting city in North America, very cultural and a lot of fun. This is also a rather safe city for its size.

The Canuck

Ric Wilke:
My only exposure to Montreal and Quebec City was back in 1968.  I absolutely loved it.  I can hardly wait to return to both of these fantastic cities.  I remember the warmth of the the people I met and it was the first time I ever experienced Fondue.  It as remained a favorite of my entire family ever since.  Looking forward to exposing Thom to the European flavor (but I have told him he cannot wear his old army uniform).  Until Montreal, hugs.  Ric and Thom

Cliff:
Hey Claude,

I was only kidding....that's what my Canadian friends (from Toronto and Vancouver) told me when I mentioned that I was going to Montreal (a little city rivalary).  Although I kinda knew about the businesses moving to Toronto bit, cause I worked on a deal with the Bank of Montreal in Toronto.  I asked someone how can the Bank of Montreal be based in Toronto and they explained that alot of businesses were scared that Quebec would break away so they moved their headquarters to Toronto.

The Canuck:
Cliff,

I didn't take it as you were kidding and neither as if you were rude. I simply thought you had a misconception of the situation, that's all.   ::)

As mentioned in my original message, most of the companies who moved did it 30 years ago when they tought Quebec would separate from Canada. Personally I'm against it and wouldn't like it one bit.

The Canuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version