HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Re: Lymph Nodes

(1/3) > >>

dariusk:
Just a question...  are lymph nodes always a sign of infection?!?!?  i'm kinda scared.  i've had a couple lymph nodes around my neck recently swell, maybe a couple weeks now.  there's no accompanying fever or other symptoms and i haven't really involved myself in any risky behavior.  is this a progression of the infection that i don't know of?  i haven't been tested recently.

can anyone help me out and calm me down?  when did lymph nodes start appearing for you and are you on meds?

milker:
Lymph nodes will grow if there is an infection. But they don't say why, and if you look at the list of infections, the reason could be due to thousands of different reasons. So if your lymph nodes are enlarged, check with your doctor.

I'm Hiv+ and my lymph nodes are not enlarged at all, my doctor cannot even feel them.

Milker.

dariusk:
thanks for the words.  i've been trying not too touch them as well.  i think i've been so preoccupied with them that i might have inflammed them.  for anyone else that has tested positive, how has it been with your case of swollen lymph nodes?  did u require meds upon infection or does it normally take a certain amount of time?

Ann:
darius,

As someone who has not tested hiv positive, you should NOT be posting in the "I Just Tested Poz" forum. I have removed your posts from the thread in IJTP and placed them here, in the "Am I Infected" forum, which is the ONLY place - and only thread - you should post in from now on.

Please read the posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread and abide by them if you want to post on this website. Thank you for your cooperation.

It doesn't matter what the experience with lymph nodes has been for any of our postive members. Hiv affects different people differently.

More importantly, symptoms, or even the lack of symptoms, means absolutely nothing where hiv is concerned. The ONLY way to accurately know your hiv status is through the appropriate tests at the appropriate time.

If you've had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse then you do need to test. Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Central79:
Lymph nodes coming up are a very non-specific sign. In fact all of the stuff that can happen in HIV happens in a bunch of other diseases, which is why the only way to know is to test. As a sexually active adult, you should be having an HIV test once or twice a year.

A couple of lymph nodes coming up in your neck alone is much more likely to be related to something going on in your throat that may be symptomless (common) that your body is fighting off than a systemic problem like HIV (rare).

M.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version