Main Forums > Living With HIV

3 years since catching the cooties

(1/3) > >>

Cliff:
circle, circle/dot, dot/now I've got my cootie shot.  If only.

I was browsing through my email archive at work and ran across an old email from Phe, a coworker who worked on a client with me during the Summer of 2003.  In the email, (Dated: Monday, June 30, 2003 at 3:11 AM), Phe tells me she's not stepping foot inside my office anymore, cause I have the cooties.

A week earlier I was suffering from a mixture of constipation and sharp stomach pains and so I went to the doctor, who told me it could be an ulcer.  He wrote a script for Dulcolax and sent me on my way.  Three days earlier, I noticed that my lymph nodes on the back of my neck were swollen.

Sunday, June 29, 2003, Phe and I went into the office to finish a report that was due on Monday.  The plan was that we would stay at the office until the report was done and dusted, no matter what.  Very late that Sunday evening I started getting hives on both arms and on my chest.  Phe walks into my office and notices me scratching my hives and the Dulcolax sitting on my desk.  She laughs and returns to her desk and sends me the cooties email.

We finished the report that Monday afternoon and I head home for some much needed sleep (and a shower).  Realizing the decision to stop using condoms with Will put me at risk for a STD, the next day I go to the Montrose clinic in Houston and get a full STD check up.  Too nervous to wait a week for the results, I went to a Planned Parenthood, one of the few places that offerred a "while you wait" HIV test at that time.  Test result: Positive.

I went back to the Montrose clinic to collect my, already known, test results.  Indeterminate.  It was clear that I was not suffering from the cooties, Phe, but from HIV ARS. 

Over the coming weeks, I did as much research as I could on HIV treatment, even filling two 3-Inch black binder with research materials that I read, and reread, every night (my security blanket).  And I even managed to stumble onto Aidsmeds forums, which has been that security blanket no binder could ever provide.

So to all those who have helped this opinionated, big mouth, know-it-all, insensitive, stuck-up, arrogant, spoilt HIV POSITIVE guy from Texas, thank you!  I have been blessed to have you in my life.  You have all helped me find doctors, get through two big moves, deal with a very painful treatment for anal dysplasia, deal with night sweats, starting meds, stopping meds, demanding meds, breaking up with Will, getting back together with Will, getting my hep. vaccinations, getting re-vaccinated for hepatitis, getting treated in foreign lands, one nose job, a couple of herpes outbreaks, disclosing my status, insurance matters, NHS matters, (gosh I know I'm missing something here).  But most of all you've made me smile and laugh, something I didn't think would ever be possible that Tuesday, sitting in the Planned Parenthood counselor's office.

So should your travels ever bring you to London, look me up.  Cause as one forum member said to me this weekend, (our first time meeting in fact), you're a lot nicer in person.  I am.  I promise, just watch out for them cooties!

- Cliff

newt:
Bless, you big sky country boy

- matt "normal, honest" the newt

Now playing - Hawkwind: Hurry on Sundown

The Canuck:

--- Quote ---Cause as one forum member said to me this weekend, (our first time meeting in fact), you're a lot nicer in person.  I am.  I promise, just watch out for them cooties!
--- End quote ---

I'll be the judge of that in Montreal.  ;)

Great you'll be watching out for the '' cooties ''...sounds like fun...but don't have a darn clue to the meaning of '' cootie ''.  ???

Regards,

The Canuck

david25luvit:
Oh Cliff....You are such a cad. :o  Interesting story though!
Referring to cooties...reminds me of when I was a kid.  Yuc-kee-poo!

So you've been accused of being a nice guy huh? 
Was sex involved? :P........just kiddin! :-*

Cliff:

--- Quote from: david25luvit on June 27, 2006, 07:09:02 PM ---So you've been accused of being a nice guy huh? 
Was sex involved? :P........just kiddin! :-*
--- End quote ---
I said nice David...not easy.  LOL  ;D

Oh for the non-Americans (citizens of America-lite/Canada)...cooties is a childhood disease you get simply by touching the opposite sex (or is it by picking your nose).  oh, something along those lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version