HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

am i infected

(1/1)

saahiltodie:
hi
   i had unprotected sex 5 months before .. just after 2 weeks i had heavy cold and cough, which also led to fever  with  night sweats .... after 4 months i had noticed thrush on my toungue and purple colored veins visible under the tongue
    now i m having dark circles under my eyes .. fatigue and feel sleepy all time
so above things conclude me that i have HIV  but the problem is i m expatriate in the country and very soon will get a work a  visa after undergoing medical
    i m worried that i m HIV positive and i wud be depoted from the country so  first and foremost  how to get tested HIV-ve  as i done wana leave my job as my finiancial condition very poor
    and secondly are the symptoms pointing towards HIV +.... as internet says all story:( i have given up hope also but jus want to conitnue with my job which i fear will be lost in coming days how to avoid that
suggest me

Andy Velez:
It's difficult to evaluate your level or risk without knowing your gender and what specifically occured in the incident. For instance, if you are a man and sex was unprotected vaginal with a woman the odds against transmission having occured are very much in your favor.

As far as the symptoms you have reported are concerned, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you that answer. There is absolutely nothing HIV-specific about any of the symptoms you are reporting. I suggest you discuss them with your doctor to have them properly diagnosed.

It's also not clear where you are writing from. Depending on where you are it may be possible to get tested anonymously.

Please clarify some of the details I've asked about and perhaps we can give you a more focused response.

saahiltodie:
i m male  working  in dubai .... on a visit visa  and very soon going would  be converting to work visa for which i need to go medical test ,
           and presently watever symptoms i have corresponds to only thing .... no wonder these things are making me depressed  as most important thing for me is to continue my job.... as once its diagnosed they wud surely depot me

Ann:
saa,

As Andy said, if the unprotected intercourse was with a woman, the odds are in your favour of testing negative and I fully expect you to do so.

However, you need to regard this scare as a wake-up call. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

An hiv test now will be conclusive, as the window period is three months and you are far past that time. Test, collect your negative result and get it over with.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version