HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Based on the lessons - Am i all good?

(1/1)

JasonLee:
I read the lessons and i was just trying to make sense of all. First, my situation. I'm a gay male. I have been sexually active since iwas 16 (i'm 18 now) both top and bottom many times with differents guys. I have always used condoms for sex, oral sex and never had have any slips or breakeage, so based on the lessons as far as HIV is concern i'm all good? I have been with many guys over the years and it has been always protected. I'm just trying to make sure that is that simple. i tested a few months ago and it was negative, but everyone around me since to think that condoms only protect to a certain level. I mean not counting breakage or slip offs, A condom is 100% reliable if it stays intact and is made from latex, right?

Matty the Damned:
Hey Jason!

It's good to hear that you've taken the time to read our Lessons section. You are indeed right, because you've practiced safer sex consistently (latex condoms for anal sex top or bottom) you don't have to be concerned about HIV infection. In the rare event that condom breaks, it ends up shredded so you'd have no doubt if one had failed.

Nevertheless all sexually active people should have a full STD screen once a year. Even though you practice safe sex it's probably a good idea to pop in and have a check up. If it's been a while since your last check up or if you've not had one before you might like to make an appointment with your doctor or local clinic. A full screen will include an HIV antibody test as a matter of course. Think of it in the same way you'd think of taking your car to the mechanic for a routine service. ;)

If you've not been vaccinated for Hepatitis A & B a routine check up is a good opportunity be immunised if you're not already immune to those two viruses.

Remember, I'm not recommending a full screen because you've placed yourself at any risk, but simply because it's a good habit for sexually active people to get into.

Once again, well done on practicing safer sex!

Fondly,

MtD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version