POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 02:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23787
  • Latest: rvarona
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643608
  • Total Topics: 48971
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 102
Total: 106

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unprotected sex with another poz person?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Falkore

Unprotected sex with another poz person?
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:25:19 PM »
Ok, I'm curious about something.  I'm currently on Atripla and about to reach my one year mark of being on meds.  My last counts show my CD4 to be steady around 550 or so.  My doctor believes that I am doing very well on the meds and I should be able to stay on the same medication without complications for a while. 
I just recently met someone who is also poz.  He's not on meds, the last time he pulled his counts he was undectable.  He does not like to use condoms.  Baring co-infections, what are the risks of having unprotected sex with another poz person?  I am scared that he may have a strain that is resistant to Atripla and I'd have to switch to another set of meds.  What are the risks to each of us?  I've heard of "Super Infection" where you become infected with a resistant strain.  I've become truly comfortable with my one pill a day regimin.  I'd like to keep that going.  What if we both are able to take the same meds?  Is there any danger if we both are taking the same medication?  What complications can come from that?

I didn't get a chance to talk to my doc about it.  Maybe I will ask him the next chance I get.  Any help?

Thanks,
Falkore
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:02:48 PM by Falkore »
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Unprotected sex with another poz person?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »
I would worry more about other STDs. The safe way is, "No Condoms, No Sex."

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »
Have fun :-)  Your biggest risk is other STD's most of which can be cured with a shot.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline J220

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
Have fun :-)  Your biggest risk is other STD's most of which can be cured with a shot.

Wrong...there is no cure for herpes.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »
Whats with all these "gray area" postings today!!!!  Jeezz   ;D  My experience with my Husband who is also positive with a cd4 count of 600 and vl of 1500, no meds is - rubbers all the way.   I gambled way to many times in my life.  I am not going to gamble again with William or myself...  For me, that pleasure of pink on pink is simply not worth the potential unknown risk.... Living is way kewler.....  That may change with time, but not until I feel a bit more at ease with this...  As Rod said, I would worry more about an STD added to the mix...

Eric
(who hates shots of any kind)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »
Falkore,

The total number of people who've contracted an HIV "super-infection" is not more than a couple of dozen. As Roddles notes it's really the other STD's you need to look out for. HIV re-infection (as it's also called) tends to be one of those touchstone issues which sends some people into a foaming panic, when in actuality, it's no big deal.

Hepatitis A & B are vaccine preventable. If you've not been vaccinated for these (or if you're not otherwise immune) you should consider getting it done. Ask your doctor.

Bacterial STD's such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis can indeed be treated. Nevertheless such treatments (especially the one for syphilis) can be unpleasant and more complicated in HIV positive people than in the general population.

J is quite right, viral STD's such as genital herpes are not curable and can range from a minor inconvenience to very painful and disabling. What's more things such as herpes and genital warts are transmitted via skin to skin contact so whatever the condom doesn't cover is not protected.

All of those things said, Matty the Damned almost always barebacks when he's with other poz guys.

MtD

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:38 AM »
I would worry more about other STDs.

Same here

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 04:48:48 AM »
That's a personal call, but "He does not like to use condoms" wouldn't be a compelling reason for me to put my health at further risk. You say you just met this guy.

My body is doing enough work as it is and no man or sex act is worth taking that kind of chance (for me).

I wouldn't rush in without a lot of careful consideration first.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 07:18:15 AM »
Wrong...there is no cure for herpes.

And many people cannot achieve a cure for hep C - or hep B either, although as Matty pointed out, there is a vaccine for hep B to prevent you from becoming infected in the first place. There is no vaccine for hep C.

Hep C can be transmitted if blood is drawn during intercourse or fisting. If a person decides they absolutely don't care to use condoms to prevent hep C infection, using plenty of lube will reduce the chance of damage to the delicate lining of the anus/rectum.

It's extremely rare for hep C to be transmitted vaginally, only because the lining of the vaginal is made of tougher stuff. However, if the sex is rough and blood is drawn, vaginal intercourse can still be a hep C risk.

The number of coinfected (hiv/hcv) people is on the rise - and very often they don't know they are also hep C positive. It's well worth a bit of caution. And like I said, using plenty of lube to reduce the chance of damage will help reduce the risk of hep C infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:29:31 AM »
Good Morning Falkore

I read your post last night and opted not to write knowing you would soon receive responses. You've received a variety of good information and opinion.

I keyed in on the very same items DanielMark did -- you just met this person and it is he who doesn't like to use condoms. You likely know very little about him and his preferences are to be considered, frankly, IMHO, second to your own.

Further, you stated wanting to run this by your doctor as it's obvious you don't want to put anything about your current health at risk. Particularly on the latter, I hope you allow yourself that extra buffer of time and input from the doc whom you've entrusted with your care. You could also negotiate with this new potential lover and agree to use condoms until you learn your doc's opinion.

I suppose it's obvious I come at this from a conservative, preservative perspective. Re-reading your post, I think you are similarly wired. The word "scared" jumps out at me.  Go with your instincts. If info-gathering and self-preservation are in the top two slots as I read them to be, then you'll make a decision with which you are comfortable.

Em

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »
Now that you got the medical stance, what are you gonna do? You seem more concerned about the other guy and what his preference is. Maybe I'm assuming here but it sounds like you usually use condoms. SO, look at it like this, is one night of bare pleasure worth what could be more serious problems?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »
this maybe old fashion but he should get a full checkup to see which hiv he has and make sure he does not have anyother stds and then you can decide if you want to go comando or not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 05:08:33 PM by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

“Neither look forward where there is doubt nor backward where there is regret. Look inward and ask not if there is anything o

Offline Falkore

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:07:17 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all your input.  I was thinking along the same lines as most of the responces.  I was already aware of the risk of suplimental infections.  I don't plan on going into this, if you'll excuse the expression, half cocked.  The main thing I was worried about is the chances of causing complications with my current HIV regimine (sp).  I am lucky enough to be on Atripla.  I have one pill that I take at night and that's it.  Currently he is not on any meds, but I'm thinking that before we start doing anything risky we should both go to the Dr. to see where things stand.  Because if we both are on the same medication then it could be that unprotected sex is not an issue... assuming that there is no other infections to worry about.  It would be a good idea for us boh to get a full work up. Just for a trust issue. Thanks again, and continue to express your opinion.  I want to know.
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.