POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23780
  • Latest: DMC87
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643496
  • Total Topics: 48962
  • Online Today: 200
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 117
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: :::Sigh:::  (Read 2588 times)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
:::Sigh:::
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »
I saw a cat hit by a moped today. Tried to help it but it died. Thatís the second cat Iíve tried to help in the last 12 months that Iíve had to sit by and watch die.

As some of you may remember, I havenít experienced the loss of anyone (human) close to me yet, except the deaths of grandparents during my childhood that I can barely recall. Losing the kitten I tried to save last year and now this today; both incidents gave me pause for thought.

I am at peace with the reality that death is a part of life, I honestly am. However, both incidents served to help me realise how powerless we actually are, when it comes to oneís time being up; and how not a one of us is either omnipotent or immortal.

I used to have a mug that had a ceramic beaver on it lazy around; the caption on the mug read: ''Never do today the things you can put off till tomorrow''. I used to like it because it was cute and a friend bought it me, knowing how lazy/chilled I can be. I was upset the day I accidentally broke it; nowadays however, Iím not bothered because it does not represent who I am any more, not at all; not with the important stuff anyway.   

I was only saying to a friend yesterday that by and large humans are a species of procrastinators; we put things off until tomorrow because we take it for granted that tomorrow will always come for us. Seeing that cat die today also reinforced my outlook that, for all of us, tomorrow aint necessarily so, and that every day is indeed a blessing.

I have no firm idea where Iím heading with this post. As well as sharing about my mini loss today, I guess what Iím trying to say is: Do that significant thing youíve been putting off forever: make that phone call; send that email; buy that book/CD/DVD youíve been meaning to buy; say Iím sorry; show that Ďwhoeverí in your life you love them (one action can speak louder than a thousand words); and so onÖdonít make the mistake of simply believing you can and/or will be able to do it tomorrow.

Today I made a point of doing 3 things Iíve been meaning to do for a while; 3 small things, but significant enough to me:

1) I stopped at a new shop in the village and treated myself to a bag of my childhood favourite chocolate-covered caramels
2) I put my loose change in the animal charity box
3) I cooked a Spanish omelette

Oh and when I got home, the cats got extra tickles and kisses from me. xx

Iím ok; just feeling a bit heavyhearted and wistful today.

Sometimes the harsh yet valid realities of life make me as weary as the nonsensical stuff.

Just... :::Sigh:::

Logging off to eat omelette and chocolates... :)

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Robert

Re: :::Sigh:::
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:02:16 PM »
You and Lisa and Jan and St. Francis of Assisi....all cut from the same cloth.

There is just not enough of you. 

Thank you for caring.

robert

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »
I'm glad I didn't put off making that phone call yesterday - you have a wicked laugh miss melia, & I felt better for hearing it.

enjoy yr omelette, hug the cats, & keep planning those adventures..  :) - kate x

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »
Miss Melia,
    Your are so right about not putting stuff off. I tend to be a terrible procrastinator, but I am getting better about it. I know what the cat thing was like a little bit, once I found a cat that had been hit, and it was clear that it was not going to make it, and it was in pain. I took matters into my own hand and finished it off with the only thing I had available to me, my hands. Even though it was years ago, and it needed to be done, the memory still haunts me from time to time. More recently, I found a baby bird that was missing a part of it's wing. I captured it and tried to nurse it back to health, but Rindy, our Boston Terrier puppy got a hold of it, and that was that. I cried about it later that night. It's kind of weird how generally the suffering of people doesn't bother me all that often, but to see a critter in pain, especially the wee ones, will reduce me to tears every time.... :'(
   But in the spirit of not procrastinating, putting things off, I have recently applied for a mortgage so I can buy my first house along with my partner. I was going to put it off until this whole liver cancer/ liver transplant thing got finished, but what would be the point? I want to do it now, not a year and a half from now. I try not to let obnoxious health issues dictate every aspect of my life as they have for 15 or so of the last 19 years. Like I've heard tell so many times, "The What-Ifs in life will kill you before you ever get around to living." Be well, sweet lady, and be peaceful.
   Capt.Carl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
I think you are incredibly spot on when you say that we are by nature procrastinators.  I find that if I don't force myself to be dilligent about things then it snowballs into an ongoing sense of "too much to do - I better just take a nap"

I said before in another thread that it's not death I fear - it's a life as someone who is not living so to speak...And in many ways the slothfulness of just letting everything pass me by is a part of that fear in action.

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
That's sooo sad!
 last time i stopped for a animal that was hit it died also. i cried like a baby.
some times those small things we do are greater in the big picture than we realize, they help us keep our sanity. sometime a donation to a good cause helps me out, doing something for some who is not as fortunate as ourselves.
cheer up young lady, you stopped to help, most people would not. you have my respect and admiration for that

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
You are a very kind-hearted person for stopping to help out the kitty.  :)

Right now your post reminded me that i forget to eat this huge chocolate-covered caramel I got yesterday, so in honor of you I will now scarf it down.  ;)

Look forward to meeting you in SF!   (home of Ghirardelli Chocolates, See's Candies, Joseph Schmidt Chocolates, and Scharffen Berger Chocolates)

http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx
http://www.sees.com/cat.cfm?CatSelect=C0005
http://www.josephschmidtconfections.com/
http://www.scharffenberger.com/default.asp

hugs,
John

Edited to add Scharffen Berger Chocolates!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:38:57 PM by JohnOso »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »
Today I made a point of doing 3 things Iíve been meaning to do for a while; 3 small things, but significant enough to me:

You are obviously a caring soul, Melia, but then I'm learning that more and more about you each day.

Today I dropped my spare change in the head slot of a big plastic Guide Dog for the Blind in a shop as I was leaving. Other than that Iíve been a completely selfish person, but I needed a day of resting and so I have been.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »
Thanks guys and gal for your kind comments.

Kate, the omelette and chocs were yummy. And I'm glad you didn't put off making that call too. ;)

John, your post made me drooooooooooool! :D

Feeling better today.

Just curious: Has anyone else done stuff recently that they've been meaning to do for ages?

Melia :)
(who not long woke up from a fabulous antihistamine-induced 2 hour siesta)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 05:52:57 AM »
A conversation with a friend today, made me want to revive and bump this thread and the message it holds.

I'm ok; just wanted to share the underlying crux of my thoughts again.

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »
Yeah, that's sad. Truth is, life can turn (or end) on a dime. A friend sent me the below article about a man being killed by a lightning bolt and it wasn't even stormy  :'(
====
A Dade landscaper died after being struck by an unusual type of lightning that's stronger, hotter, lasts longer and strikes from clear skies.

By TERE FIGUERAS NEGRETE AND LUISA YANEZ
lyanez@MiamiHerald.com

COURTESY WFORCBS4

David Canales died after being struck by lightning. With no rain or even clouds to warn him of the danger, death came literally out of the blue Thursday to a self-employed landscaper. The killer was a powerful bolt of lightning that cracked through perfectly clear skies.

David Canales, 41, of West Miami-Dade, was on the job at a Pinecrest home when the bolt hit. It first seared a tree, then traveled and struck Canales, standing nearby.

Experts said Canales was killed by a weather phenomenon fittingly called a ''bolt from the blue'' or ''dry lightning'' because it falls from clear, blue skies. He was pronounced dead at South Miami Hospital.

Canales is the latest victim of one of Florida's least enviable honors: It's the country's lightning capital. Five of the 47 people killed by lightning across the country last year were in Florida.

Dan Dixon, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Miami, said that when Canales was hit, a typical afternoon storm was forming but nowhere near the area.

Weather data showed that lightning activity picked up north of Pinecrest shortly before 1 p.m., as a storm gathered momentum and swept through Coral Gables and then downtown.

''Most lightning will come from the base of a thunderstorm, inside that rain-shaft area,'' Dixon explained. ``But occasionally, what we call a bolt from the blue comes out of a thunderstorm still several miles away.''

The fair-weather bolts pack a bigger, deadlier punch and form differently.

Most lightning bolts carry a negative charge, but ''bolts from the blue'' have a positive charge, carry as much as 10 times the current, are hotter and last longer.

The bolts normally travel horizontally away from the storm and reach farther than typical lightning, then curve to the ground. This bolt struck the front yard of a home at 10500 SW 62nd Ave.

''My wife said the sky was blue, but the lightning bolt was the most horrible sound she had heard in her life,'' said Clemente Vazquez-Bello, owner of the home where Canales and two workers had come to do landscaping.

Startled by the violent sound, Margarita Vazquez-Bello ran to the backyard. The men were not there. Canales' workers were knocking on the front door, seeking help.

She dialed 911. Officers with the Village of Pinecrest and Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue arrived at the home. But Canales was in grave condition when transported, said rescue spokesman Lt. Elkin Sierra.

The Vazquez-Bellos rushed to South Miami Hospital, where Canales was pronounced dead. Canales' wife, also at the hospital, could not be reached for comment.

Vazquez-Bello said Canales was ''a wonderful human being'' and a dependable hard worker.

''We feel terrible about this,'' said Vazquez-Bello, a Miami attorney.

Dixon said protecting yourself from such unexpected lightning is difficult.

''They are very unpredictable and very dangerous. We urge people to stay indoors even if you hear thunder only faintly in the distance,'' Dixon said. ``If you're close enough to hear thunder, you're close enough to be struck by lightning.''

Earlier this month, a worker was hospitalized after being struck at a construction site in Miami. Nine people, including three children, were forced out of their Plantation home after a lightning strike caused a fire.

There has been at least one fatality in South Florida this year: A person on a roof in Miramar was killed by lightning May 19, Dixon said.

It's not the first time in South Florida ''bolts from the blue'' have proven deadly.

In August 1988, a Norwegian couple vacationing in South Florida were struck while standing on a Fort Lauderdale beach. Witnesses said the sky was cloudless.

==

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.