Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:19:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: Can I drink and be ok?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline wolvesstx

• Randys Wolf Den
Re: Can I drink and be ok?
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:24:29 am »
This was my earlier question: I have been on Reyataz Norvir and Truvada for almost a month I have side effects where I am yellow (which that dosent bother me too much cause it makes me look like I have I tan) I havent drank alchol since september and I would really love to go out and have some drinks and not have to worry that it is gonna make me worse. So my question is do I tell my doc I want to have a drink? Will it be ok to go out and have some drinks? I really need to get out and have a good time.

I got many replies and I would like to say that I do get regular liver tests and yes my bilirubin was high but I hadnt been on the meds long and other than that I have no liver problems. I dont want hard liquor either just some smirinoff or something like that.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:48:36 am »
Babe,

Like I said in your other thread (which a kindly Goderator will probably merge into this new one) you should have no problems going out and having a few beers or fluffy ducks or whatever. If your meds are going to play havoc with the booze, believe me you'll know after a couple of drinks.

Regards,

MtD

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
Re: Re: Can I drink and be ok?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:46:09 am »
Hon, if your liver panels are fine have a couple of cocktails.  If you get to San Diego, I will even buy them for you.  Moderation in all things.  Take care of yourself!
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline LT

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:15:50 am »
By all means, discuss it with your doc.  If he/she is a normal, average person, the response will be the same as most of us have already stated.  IE Moderation is good, but don't over do it.  If there is something in the tests that makes him scream NO, it might be best to follow that advice.

I'm not sure why you seem apprehensive to discus this with you doctor.  An honest discussion of something like this is exactly how you build a good working relationship with your medical team.  Of course there is always the possibility that your doc is a super health care Nazi, for whom only the most extreme, pure & healthy lifestyle is acceptable.  One for whom any of the little indulgences of the western world are verboten. Chocolate - NO! French Fries - NO!  If that is the case, I'd switch to a different doctor.

My point in your earlier thread (btw you probably should have just continued the discussion there), was to question your meaning of "Some Drinks."  I work in a bar.  For one group, "some drinks" means two or three.  For others the meaning is more than ten, several rounds of shooters with friends, and a bar tab at the end of the night that would buy my groceries for over a month.

On your first outing, limit yourself to one or two.  If you feel too tipsy after one, stop there.  You probably won't now how your body has reacted until the next day, so take it easy the first time.

I don't want hard liquor either just some smirinoff or something like that.
Smirnoff is vodka and therefore "hard liquor", despite it hiding behind a sweet and fruity mix.  Alcohol is alcohol regardless of if it is distilled, in beer, or wine.

I really need to get out and have a good time.
Having a good time is based more on what's in the mind, than what's in the glass.  If you head out with some friends, intent on having some laughs, telling a few stories, ogling a few hotties, then you'll have a good time.

If you rate a "good time" based on the size of your bar tab, or how many drinks you quaffed, the outcome is far less certain.  Working in the bar, I've seen many a cheery, smiling over imbiber.  But frankly I've seem many more sad, depressed, tearful, "the world hates me" drunks.

You can have your first couple of drinks, then switch to pop/soda, fruit juice, bottled water, or one of those energy drinks (Be careful with those - they too could react with the meds.)  If the energy and mood are about enjoying yourself, the particular liquid doesn't matter.  If your friends object, tell them that's what you feel like having, and that what your damn well going to drink.

So yes - don't live like a monk - go out and enjoy life.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:10:39 am »
So my question is do I tell my doc I want to have a drink?

Wolvesstx,

Only if you consider your doctor's advice important to your health care.

Vodka is hard liquor. Regardless, any alcohol will put an added burden on your liver which is already working overtime with HAART therapy. You only get one liver.

You are in charge of your health, so it's your choice.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.