POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 11:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650156
  • Total Topics: 49630
  • Online Today: 182
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 153
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Varicose veins and general anaesthesia  (Read 1706 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
Varicose veins and general anaesthesia
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
I feel very old at the moment. Had my, not too serious, varicose vein operated on on thursday last week. Done by laser, (more in a sec), awake (don't EVER do it aware unless you have no choice)
This is a new operation in UK at least that vaporises varicose veins with a high powered laser. No nasty 'stripping' of veins from the groin, just a very thin probe inserted into the offending vessel,then vaporised...never to return. All your'e left with after the bruising and wearing of a tight elastoplast bandage for a week, then very atrractive support stockings for another, is three tiny pinprick scars.
A lot of surgeons here don't like to do the 'stripping' operation because its EXTREMELY painful and VERY gory, but this is advocated for those with HIV as being safer for all concerned, (yes I know, all operations should be equally safe, poz or not BUT...)
One small problem. If you've had pneumonia in last year they won't put you out....and its OBSCENELY painful, even with sedation and local anaesthetic. However, after three days, even with tight strapping, I'm walking. The recovery is very quick and not too painful. After two days you just get these weird twitches, like a muscle reflex, all along wound site as it realigns/reroutes.
My consultant is now going to be doing ten operations every three months, and as its so new is looking for at LEAST 2 moe positive people to have op in next cycle. If anyones interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the consultant, doesn't matter where you are in Uk.
Its also worth noting that the hospital decided this was best done whilst I was healthyish so the HIV shouldn't have been a factor but really dont care about your status, except for research,and spoken to 2 of first ten patients who were raving about how much better it is than old op
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: Varicose veins and general anaesthesia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
Hey Tig,

OUCH!

I have a few varicose veins. I think they're hereditary. But mine will stay where they are, thank you.

Since I haven't heard of the method you discuss mentioned on this side of the pond yet, I'm going to save my money for Lasik.

Of course, at the rate I'm saving, they'll have to do the operation posthumously, but what the hell.

Glad your surgery went well. Keep us filled in on how the healing process goes.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:21:15 AM »
Tigger,

Glad to hear everything is getting better for you.  It was interesting to hear your anesthesia story.  My recent surgery was done under "moderate sedation," which was similar to yours.  I wished they were able to give me Versed, since it has some amnesiac properties, but it doesn't play well with the Sustiva

And i'm sure you look attractive in anything you wear.  :D

John

Offline SASA39

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »
I have a varicose veins in my right leg that had to be operated a  long ago.
Confirmed by a Dopller scan.
They are giving me some hard time over a hot summer days.
I think they're hereditary too.............
                                        Al
Oct.     `06.  CD4=58  ?    %       VL not perform. ?!?
25.Dec.`06.         203       14        VL= 0
29.May.`07.    broken device        VL=1363
20.June`07     broken device        VL=0
25.Dec `07  CD4=582                  VL=70
14.May `08  CD4=448
29.July `08                                  VL=0
26.Nov `08  CD4=674                    VL=179
16.Mar `09  CD4=554                    VL=0
19.Jan`10 CD4=715               
03.Mar`10                                    VL=0
24.Aug`10 CD4=524                     VL=0
04.Dec`10 CD4=626                     VL=0
15.Sep`11                                   VL=93
17.Nov`11                                   VL=0
05/26 .Jul`12 CD4=713                 VL=0
28.Nov`12 CD4=916                     VL=0
09.May`13                                 VL=0

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
Just an update....they missed!!!! Where they inserted probe was just below the nice black wiggly indelible line they drew on my leg, so out by 5-8mm and missed the junction of the vein! Dont know whether to laugh or cry! On the plus side it healed beautifully, tiny pinprick scar...on minus I'm going to have to have a small part of procedure repeated, (just a zap at SPECIFIC) area this time. Me and hospitals...
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »
I went to see a doc about my vericose veins that are on my lower right leg....he does the saline injection method.  I asked him what the chances are regarding the veins returning and he said 10% of those who receive injections will see the veins return.   I asked him if he knew the return rate for those who get treated by laser....and he said close to 30%.....he said there is a much better success rate with injections.  I'm suspicious.

Any thoughts or testimonials regarding the two methods??

Be Well...

Craig

I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Tigger:

Do you know if that procedure can be used to remove temporal veins... at least one that uncharacteristically large?
I'd like to have it removed and have been told a temporal vein is expendable.  As my face grows thinner, it grows more and more prominent.  When I look at my reflection, I constantly focus on that nasty vein.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.