POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 644052
  • Total Topics: 49021
  • Online Today: 193
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pubic Lipomas  (Read 977 times)

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
Pubic Lipomas
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »
A friend sent me this article about pubic lipomas yesterday.  It was the first evidence that supported what I have seen happening in my body.  In fact, my docs at Duke University Medical Center had not seen anything like what I was experiencing.  Thanks to AIDSmeds.com, I was able to  forward this article to my doc yesterday.

The prevalence of pubic lipomas, according to this article, is greatest among obese women who have had short-term exposure to HIV.  I do not fit any of these categories.  I am thin, male and have survived so far for 21+ years. I have not had any other fat redistribution, except that my blood triglycerides have been enormously high--as much as 8,250 at one point.  With Lopid and fish oil, I have been able to lower that number to between 500 and 1000.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon?  In males, there is an additional issue of watching your fat pad envelop your genitalia.  There seems to be little information on this issue yet, and one aspect that should be added is the psychological ramifications of watching your penis shrink into your growing fat pad. (Sorry to be graphic.)

I would like to hear from anyone who is researching pubic lipomas or anyone who has watched as their body changed as a result.

Take care.

Ron Hudson
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline Central79

Re: Pubic Lipomas
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
Hey Ron

Sorry to hear about your problem - I'm interested in lipodystrophy and saw this article as well. I started a thread about it here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12416.0

As I was surprised at the research that claimed 9.4% of HIV+ patients have this problem, as I had never heard of it before.

M.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »
That's one symptom that has missed me.

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
Didn't miss me. In fact, there was a thread about it, but I think it was on the old forums.

I used to shave but then noticed, even though I was a thin male with obvious signs of lipoatrophy, there was what I called a doughnut forming in the pubic area.

As I recall, I wasn't alone. There were several others who post here who have noticed it.

I stopped shaving as a result of this. I have been relatively lucky it hasn't progressed too much.

However, after that, I got the hump, so I guess it hits you one place or another.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Hey Aztecan,

I have grown a facial beard (just to be clear of location) to hide my increasingly sunken cheeks, but have never really gotten into body shaving.  There is just no hiding the pubic pad.  It shows through my jeans and makes some believe I am packing more there than I am.  Well, that is not true as I have more in my pants than I would want, , but the item packed is probably not what they would be expecting.  The pubic pad is  basically is about 2-3 inches thick and covers the entire pubic area.

Luckily, I have a partner now and he isn't concerned with the appearance because his body has been ravaged by other side effects (the belly fat syndrome). 

Thanks for writing...it is nice to know that I am not alone in this.  I was thinking I was really "special".

R
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.