POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 08:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632434
  • Total Topics: 47897
  • Online Today: 294
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: We donít serve your kind...  (Read 2043 times)

Offline way.out.west

We donít serve your kind...
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:57:15 AM »
About 5 years ago, during an intensive study course in Berlin, I decided one night to blow off some energy by going to one of the sex clubs there.  The cashier, who was himself in his 30s, sized me up as being in my 40s and snapped ďYou donít belong hereĒ.  Then he pointed to a location a block away, which catered to men in their 60s and 70s and who were apparently not accepted anywhere else.  Iíve never been attracted to men who were much younger than me, so being denied entrance to a club for really young men wasnít in itself an issue.  But it did bother me that he was discriminating against me.

As it turned out, I actually did befriend a man on that trip who was in his 60s, and weíve maintained contact ever since.  My friend told me that he could only go to certain places set aside for older men, because no one would speak to him at any of the others.  Well anyway, I went to the pubs with him and had a really fun time.

Around 25 years ago, some club and bar owners in San Francisco would routinely refuse entry on the basis of age or looks, but the enforcement of laws against discrimination (as well as picketing by some enlightened gay men) put an end to it.  My question is: ďDoes discrimination still take place in other cities?Ē

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Re: We donít serve your kind...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
The clubs I have gone to clearly have no standards for patrons whatsoever.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
I never feel comfortable in clubs which have this sort of access restrictions and so do many of my friends, even if we're allowed to enter. We just avoid those places. Luckily, there are better clubs in Berlin now.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »
The clubs I have gone to clearly have no standards for patrons whatsoever.

Another Star Post.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »
If it's a private club can't they decide who's in and who's not? That doesn't bother me. There are many clubs in the UK where you cannot enter if you're not following the dress code as defined for that day, so when I was thinking about going out I would first check in the gay paper what was the dress code and decide whether or not I would go. Same thing with latino nights, bear nights, college nights, etc.. Just check or call before going there.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjasô

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »
I generally don't like places with dress codes...except shirts off nights at the Heretic. 

That's a dress code I can get behind.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
If it's a private club can't they decide who's in and who's not? That doesn't bother me.

So Milker, according to your logic, it would be acceptable for a club owner/manager to exclude older people, African Americans and those who are Jewish.  Or, why not simply exclude people on the basis of looks.  Would that kind of policy be okay with you?

I see no problem with establishing a dress code (such as leather, underwear only, etc.), because those are things that people can easily comply with.  But one certainly cannot change his/her age or race, and I suspect one would not be willing to change religion. 

And by the way, I look damn good on ďnaked nightĒ.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »
So Milker, according to your logic, it would be acceptable for a club owner/manager to exclude older people, African Americans and those who are Jewish.  Or, why not simply exclude people on the basis of looks.  Would that kind of policy be okay with you?

Yes, unless the countries where those clubs are have written laws against those types of discrimination. As far as I know there is no law that says to not discriminate on looks or age to enter a private club. There have been many private clubs sued for race, gender, and age discrimination. So pick your lawyer :) I, personally, don't care if eHarmony doesn't allow gay dating or if the Gay Nazis of San Diego won't allow me in their group because i'm Jewish.

And by the way, I look damn good on ďnaked nightĒ.
It was the perfume, dear :D

Milker.

/edited to add: did I just pass the Godwin law ??? /
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:23:50 PM by milker »
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjasô

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »
The Boy Scouts of America, a private organization, is permitted to discriminate and not have openly gay scout leaders, etc.  Presumably, they could exclude Jews or Blacks and get away with it,  but for the incredible uproar that would ensue.  Unfortunately, the majority in this country were not upset about "discrimination" against gay people by scouting.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
Jack Ruby's a steakhouse in Cinncy and Louis (maybe other places too) refused to serve OJ Simpson and his date this past Derby weekend.  OJ is considering suing based on racial discrimination, however that might be hard to prove since Micheal Jordan was eating there at the time this occurred. I guess a privately owned restaurant can refuse to serve you.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline carousel

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I was once told that I was "too disco" to get in to a fetish club many moons ago.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.