HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

A Question

(1/3) > >>

hivworrier:
Hello

I went for a blood test today and thankfully it was negative :)

During the test, I was very careful regarding the needle used since I read many cases of WWs on aidsmeds on this issue and I was sure that she used a new needle. She got the needle out of the box and attached to it the blood tube container and drew my blood.

My question is why are reports sayng that HIV can survive for a long time inside the hollow bore needle. I mean I saw the needle today and the hollow part in it was quite large and visible. So any traces of blood in the hollow bore will be dried and the virus deactivated within a few minutes coz air can surely go inside the needle bore I saw today.

Thanks for the clarification.

ScienceGuy25:
Dear Worrier

I'm very new to this group but working in biomedical science and the health field i think i'm very qualified to answer this particular question.  You say you got tested today, so i'm assuming you went to some sort of city clinic or other medical office?

In any of these circumstances the very last thing you need to worry about is getting an HIV infection from having blood drawn.  Each needle used on a new patient comes inidividually wrapped after being sterilized well enough to kill any possible organism on the planet.  Medical workers ALWAYS use clean sterilized needles everytime they draw blood - it's the LAW.  YOU SHOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO FEARS OF GETTING BLOOD DRAWN AT ANY SORT OF HEALTH CLINIC.  You are more likely to get struck dead by a meteor falling on you leaving the clinic than getting HIV from your simple blood test.

HIV is a very delicate virus and does not survive long outside of the body.  All these urban legends you hear about criminally insane people putting hiv infected needles on gas pumps or movie theatre seats are, well URBAN LEGENDS.  Not true, impossible.

Congratulations on your test result...

hivworrier:
Thanks for the answer...am not worried as I am sure that she used a new needle but I was wondering why would the virus survive in the needle more than in the atmosphere as both of them allow air to enter.

ScienceGuy25:
To get into the technicalities as far as I understand it, needlesticks that you hear about in health care settings result because blood inside the needle can protect the virus for a very small amount of time and if someone was to get "stuck" in that short period of time they transfer the HIV infected blood into their blood stream carrying the potential for infection.

However a needle with a very miniscule amount of blood sitting around for any length of time would certainly not be a permissive envrionment for HIV survival and not a concern.

hivworrier:
so why are the transmission rates so high with injection drug users?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version