POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 08:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632314
  • Total Topics: 47881
  • Online Today: 276
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How I've won the battle against chronic diarrhea.  (Read 2744 times)

Offline kentb

How I've won the battle against chronic diarrhea.
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
I know many of us on meds have experienced chronic diarrhea, I also know it can present at the most inopportune times and that this is not a topic many like to discuss but it is what it is.  I would typically manage the problem as it came up by taking imodium as needed.  This would then fix the problem for the next 12-24 hours but often resulted in constipation, once that passed then the cycle tended to repeat itself.  So as I was packing my pill boxes for the month I placed one single Imodium in with all the morning meds and one in with all the evening meds.  this has a least for me done the trick!  My movements have been solid and I finally have gotten my life back.  I know this may not work for everyone but I felt compelled to share, something I don't do very often, but if this info. can change anyone's life the way it has mine then I'm glad to share what worked for me!
regards,

Kent

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: How I've won the battle against chronic diarrhea.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
Yep... done that for years with each dose.  Except at times I've had to take FIVE imodium with each day's dose, so that's a max of 10.  Imagine my bowels... so sad, so dire. 

You should look into taking Pancrecarb, which I always recommend.  It's an enzyme that helps with absorption issues.  Imodium only treats the symptom, Pancrecarb addresses the cause.  I've found combining the two with each daily dose allowed me to decrease my imodium intake and my bowels are all around more settled and constant... a better equilibrium.

And of course, when you address absorption this means your digestive system is making the most of your HIV meds... doubly important.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
Imodium is my friend, but I  started taking Caltrate Plus last month and I haven't had the liquid rocket craps since.

As to not liking to discuss diarrhea, discussing it is the hallmark of true friendship I say. :-*

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »
Philly, Trying the Pancrecarb but after a week of am/pm dosing, I don't have a improvements. Should I increase Pancrecarb to one at midday or do one Imodium?

Kent, after dealing with this for years it's time to find something that works. Don't feel this subject isn't proper cause I really appreciate any suggestions at this point.
xxx,
Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
How many are you taking at present?  I eventually upped mine to 3/twice a day but I combine it with 2 immodium/twice a day.  Everyone's digestive system is going to be wildly different, so you'll have to play around with the dosing for a while until you find what is appropriate.

Mind you, if this combo does not work you MUST be insistent with your doctor about being aggressive with this.  Trust me... you don't want to get resistance to medication like I did with PI's, and they seem to think my chronic diarrhea greatly contributed to this because it went on for so many years.  There are stronger things out there on the market.  Tincture of opium is one they use, and I forget the name of the other.  I have a friend with really, REALLY, bad chronic diarrhea. that has to take all of that stuff.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »
mmmmm...... I love topping a hot online scat scene!   ;D
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
reply to philly: one cap Pancrecarb in morning with my meds & breakfast and same at night. No immodium. Strenght of Pancrecarb MS-8.

reply to redhotmusclbear: Oh gross! That business/scene makes me run for the hills. Which is where I am living now, BTW!  :D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
OK, but give me an idea of how bad your runny behind normally is.  If you're not seeing any difference I'd up it... but I'd still take imodium, and if you read my first post here it's what I always write about this issue.  You must treat both the symptom and the cause together.  At least this is what I've found works for me.  (mine is the MS-8 as well)

Best of luck dear.  Trust!  I know your pain.

Offline Nico

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 08:36:47 PM »
Crap! (no pun)
I have avoided Imodium  since 2000 and all other treatments since I thought they were counter active with HIV meds.  No, I did not ask my Dr., I just assumed it was bad.  "My Bad"!

I travel alot and make sure I map out every Airport crapper and watch what I eat with clients due to fabo Norvir.  So its OK to take anti azz blast meds!  A normal life and an lunch with clients where I don't need to excuse myself for a fake gotta go "phone call" or "contact lens problem".

Geez, 17 years into this and I still learn. 

Thanks!
Rog
Poz since 1990.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »

I have stated it before, I am fortunate that I have not had to deal with the problems of diarrhea, or constipation, either prior to or after starting on meds.  Everything still seems quite regular in that area. Just lucky I guess, plus maybe because of the regimen that I am on. But I am certainly keeping notes just in case...
Get a few rumbles and gurgles on occasion, but nothing else...

Ray

Ps glad things are working for you Kent
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, philly. Appreciate it. I know what to do now. Up the Pancrecarb dosage + immodium to start the day. I am going to get my doc involved with this till it's corrected. It's bad but not the worst. That's as descriptive as I'm gettin, friend. I know it's that damn Norvir.
Thanks Again!
Mike

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:48:12 PM »
One Dannon Activia yogurt per day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.