POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 12:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24297
  • Latest: jose1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650461
  • Total Topics: 49662
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Keeping things in perspective  (Read 1545 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Keeping things in perspective
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »
Last night I had a pity party.  It continued till this morning.  The guest list included loneliness, financial difficulty, HIV, depression, the look of losing weight when I am not, fatigue, diarrhea, sadness and lack of BF.  Of course the guest of honor was me.

This morning the party came to an abrupt end with a phone call.  To supplement my income, I have a small house & dog sitting business.  Many of my clients are friends, family of friends or friends of friends.  Today's phone call involved a client who is a friend and also the daughter of a very good friend.  Last night while my client and her husband were driving home they had an argument.  While driving he took a gun from the console and shot himself.  Miraculously a wreck didn't happen causing more injuries.

I cannot imagine how a person deals with the horrors of suicide, but it is beyond my comprehension how she will be able to deal having been a witness 2 feet away and watching her husband kill himself. 

Of course I still have my problems, but this morning I was reminded how trivial they are when compared to what others must face.  I am indeed fortunate and thankful.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline DanielMark

Re: Keeping things in perspective
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:44:25 PM »
Woods,

Through the past 18 years of living with this unwanted houseguest, the agonies and difficulties, learning (and remembering) how to keep things in perspective has become my most important survival tool. Its so easy to blow things out of proportion with worry and fears especially if feeling down many of which turn out to be nothing really.

Thank you for bringing this subject up.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Iggy

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
I absolutely agree that we have to keep things in perspective, but to me part of that perspective is acknowledging the issues that we do face. 

Speaking for myself, For me,  saying someone else has it worse doesn't really do anything productive for my outlook as it only feels like I'm guiling myself not to acknowledge my own very real problems.  I think other's tragedies also just make me feel darker rather than better as I see it as proof of a lot of the darkness, or more appropriately cold randomness, of the world that can inflict harm on us no matter how hard we try to avoid it.

What does help me keep things in perspective however is looking at what is wrong in my life along with what is good in my life.  That allows me to be able to confront things without guilt and gauge if I am allowing something bad that is going on to have a disproportionate effect on my outlook.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
What an awful story. I'm very sorry for your friend.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:28:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing Woods.

Like you, if I'm feeling down, if I remind myself of how good I have it compared to other... it lifts me up.
Not because I have some sort of sick pleasure...  I'm better off then they are...  More out of compassion for others, seeing how others can cope with more obstacles then I have.
Although some days just Suck big time...

Seeing how a person named Woods can turn a horrible story, into something positive.

Wishing you the very best,
Mauricio.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.