POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23361
  • Latest: izhca
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636766
  • Total Topics: 48333
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disability Insurance  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
Disability Insurance
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »
Hi I live in Michigan and am 52 yrs old. I was just diagnosed in December. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get disability at this point.
Peter

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: Disability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:31:54 AM »
this is a wide open topic with no information about your condition.

To be disabled, you have to show that you cannot work. An HIV diagnosis is not in itself disabling. Essentially, if you can work, your not disabled.

You must be very careful here. Because with treatment you may be then qualified to go back to work, which means being removed from disability status.

There are resources at thebody.com that answers questions about disability and insurance, I suggest you look there to get additional information in general. Then you will need to see what the rules are in your state and in your companies insurance if you are working.

If you are looking for Social Security Disability, I do not know what the process is for that, but you should be able to obtain what the rules are for gaining this status.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »
Sorry, more information. I am working full time at the same job I have been in for the last 20 yrs I have never been on disability. I was diagnosed in December and hospitalized, (AIDS). I am now healthy with rising CD4 counts and dropping viral loads. I would like to get individually funded Disability Insurance in case I ever get sick again. (That sounds rather odd, but hell I may not.) I would rather not have to go on government funded disability, or have to rely on social security if I could.

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
Thank you for the response. I have no problem collecting Social Security Benifits if that becomes necessary. I am just trying to be proactive and look ahead. I would like to continue the lifestyle that I have at this time even if I become ill.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
Peter,

If you are well enough to keep working, please do.   Being on disability is nothing to strive for, believe me.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
I plan on working, until I retire. It is just that as of late, my X wife and children have been inquiring about my life insurance and all. It has angered me. I feel like they are being vultures sitting on a fence waiting for me to kick. I was attempting to be aware of my options. I am doing well am healthy and have no desire to stop working. I do not want to go on disability, I just do not want to have to rely on anyone else if I can avoid it. Also I do not want anyone to say that I was or am incapable of handling my own affairs.

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »
Disability Insurance is a tricky business these days and I urge everyone to edify themselves as much as possible should the need to apply ever become a reality.  Being HIV + (or having AIDS for that matter) does not necessarily qualify someone as being disabled (click on the link below to read more).  Anyone with a chronic illness will do themselves a favor by becoming familiar with the disability processes.  There are different requirements for private plans vs. the government sponsored plan.

It's sort of like preparing for your funeral; nobody likes to think about it, but if you do your homework early you, and in your case your family, will be better prepared for the onslaught of paperwork, maneuvering through the system, medical file needs, do you need a lawyer, etc., etc.  I commend you for wanting to know more!

http://www.positiveoutlook.org/PAGES/201.HTM#I%20have%20HIV.%20Am%20I%20"disabled"?
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Hey Peter,

Social Security amounts are based on your best 10 years earnings.  It is not uncommon for a disabled person to be living on less than $1,000.00 per month.  The first year of disability is paid at the state level and the income is almost acceptable.  And after that year... there is nothing...

Is your housine situation secure?  HOPWA, Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS is an available assistance funded by HUD.

If you live in a Title I EMA, you are able to get temporary emergency housing (hotel and meal vouchers for 28 days).  A move-in grant which can cover first months rent (at levels acceptable to the Housing Authority) and Security Deposit.

If you live in a Title II EMA, you can get about enough to cover 1 months rent or get a utility bill paid.  HUD makes these funds available each year in June or July but in a Title II EMA, those funds are held by your state and if the state budget is not approved and signed by the Governor, those funds are held until the state budget is approved.

A wise Case Manager told me once not to depend upon HOPWA as if at some point HUD should decide to put all funds into low-income housing, assistance will be terminated.  The call it the "E" word,.. there is no entitlement.

Living on disability is doing without and the only way that changes is if you make do for yourself.  I spent almost 11 years with AIDS and on disability.  I have begged and borrowed from almost everyone on the planet and finally opened my own business.  I do what I used to do before AIDS, only independently as no company will hire a person with 11 years of nothing on their current resume.  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:58:09 PM by Sonomabeach »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.