Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Study: Selenomax(R) Suppresses Progression of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus

(1/4) > >>

SASA39:
"This study builds on previous research showing selenium's potential role as an antioxidant in immune health and the possible consequences of selenium deficiency in people living with HIV/AIDS," said Barry Hurwitz, PhD, Professor of Psychology and Medicine at the University of Miami and lead investigator of the study. "The results support the use of high selenium yeast as an inexpensive, safe nutritional therapy in HIV spectrum disease."
http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=17499&zoneid=196

Central79:
Yup - this news was on the wires in January. Basically you need to be taking 200 micrograms daily of a decent quality supplement. The researchers used Selenomaxx.

Here's another link to the aidsmap article on this:

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/2571C611-2069-48F8-ACAB-A21FE0BD28E0.asp

M.

J220:
Just keep in mind everybody, that you don't have to buy the Selenomax brand, any Selenium supplement will do. While the study was legitimate, the press release touting the brand Selenomax was put out by, who else, Nutrition 21 Inc., the manufacturing company. Personally, I buy the inexpensive brands from either Walmart or Publix, my local supermarket.

Central79:

--- Quote from: J220 on April 24, 2007, 09:27:25 PM ---Just keep in mind everybody, that you don't have to buy the Selenomax brand, any Selenium supplement will do. While the study was legitimate, the press release touting the brand Selenomax was put out by, who else, Nutrition 21 Inc., the manufacturing company. Personally, I buy the inexpensive brands from either Walmart or Publix, my local supermarket.

--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure about that - they said that they used Selenomax because it was most likely to have a higher bioavailability than other brands - something in the way it's manufactured. Even with this, only 50 out of 91 people were classed as "responders".

I don't take Selenomax, because I cannot be arsed to order it over the internet, but I'm thinking about it. I take ImmuneAce from Vitabiotics, when I remember!

I wonder if my HIV clinic could test my Selenium levels to see if I am a responder or not - because it would save me quite a bit of money if I am not.

M.

SASA39:
I just added that to show a benefits of selenium.Brasilian nuts  ;) rolled with a smoked ham tastes great.They are cheap , 3-4 are enough on a daily bases even for hivvers , and they are easily to find.
My 2 cc                    Al

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version