POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 10:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643218
  • Total Topics: 48939
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is there no place on earth for me? -- a book about schizophrenia  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
No, I'm not asking a cosmological question about myself.   I know where my place is.

The reference is to a 1983 book Is there no place on earth for me?  It is one of the most fascinating, incredibly funny, and profoundly sad books I've ever read.  It describes the life of Sylvia Frumkin,  in the opening of the book is a 30ish young woman, who has suffered from severe schizophrenia half of her life.  She has lived in and out of private and mostly public mental institutions since age 15.

The book starts in the transitional services assisted living apartments (for mental patients trying to start an independent life and deemed able by the mental health professionals managing the client's case)  run by the NY state mental institution called Creedmoor.   Sylvia takes a bubble bath and pours a bottle of red mouthwash over her hair to see if the hair will turn read.  She gets so carried away playing with bubbles lots of water spills on the floor, and she slips and cracks her skull while getting out of the bathtub.   Having some medical training she pours an expensive bottle of perfume on her bleeding head because there is alcohol in the perfume.  Eventually she goes downstairs to the night desk person and he decides to take ger to the emergency room of the closest hospital.  What follows in the next few pages and the rest of the book is a story no writer of fiction could make up.  Driving to the hospital the car radio is playing "Lovely Linda" by Paul McCartney and Sylvia sings along and laughs and knows Paul is singing sarcastically because he is in love with Sylvia. 

I just finished re-reading it for the umpteenth time and each time knowing there are many Sylvia Frumkins today, that the situation hasn't improved for many with this class of mental illness. I wonder if there ever will be treatment(s) which allow a schizophrenic to think comparably to a "normal" human.  A friend's husband is schizophrenic and if he takes his medications on schedule he does OK but is still obviously a bit odd in behavior and when you talk with him.  Besides appearing slightly stoned or oblivious he speaks in slow, careful speech.  In most conversations he's made several non sequiturs, usually one at a time, the continues the conversation.  It is an experience talking to Mike.   Mike obviously doesn't represent all people with the disease and has admittedly had a rougher time than some.

OK, sorry for boring you.  That was all I had to say...
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.