HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Please advise me ... its been a long time.

(1/1)

smack123:
Dear all,

I really need your advise on my encounter which happens 13months ago.

March 2006, I had protect sex with a hooker which I pick up along the street. (HIV status not sure)
During the intercourse, I realise that she's bleeding, probably due to menses,  I stop immediately and went to clean off the blood on my condom and the surrounding area which are expose to her blood.

4 months later, I finally have the courage to go for HIV testing. Result was negative.
However. the doctor told me the window period is 3 - 6 months. Since then, I don't dare to test again.

8months later, I went for a comprehensive health check but it does not include HIV testing. My results are normal for all other test. Can I presume that If I'm infected, the health check will be able to pick up some signs of HIV virus even though I did not include HIV check in it.

Please advise me, I'm desperate, I don't have the courage to check again.

Thank you
Smack.

Central79:
Dear Smack

You don't have an HIV risk from this incident. You were protected by the condom.

The test at 4 months is definative. Most people seroconvert at about the 3 week mark. The health screen at 8 months is irrelevent - the only way of knowing if you have HIV, is to test.

You should have an HIV test every 6 months to 1 year as part of a full STD panel. But you weren't at risk from the incident you descibe, and your 4 months result confirms that. In the history of the epidemic, there are only 2 case reports of people seroconverting at about 6 months.

Relax, you're fine.

Matt.

Andy Velez:
Smack, your doctor gave you the wrong advice. The CDC, which is quite conservative in this matter, has for some time recommended 13 weeks/3 months as a reliable testing point.

Condoms do a very effective job of protecting you no matter what the HIV status is of your partner(s). Use one everytime you have intercourse and you'll be well protected as far as HIV is concerned.

As far as that past incident is concerned you are worrying needlessly. There's no need for further testing. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version