POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23735
  • Latest: g.pikup
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642816
  • Total Topics: 48901
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hate Crime Bill Named for Gay Victim  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Dachshund

Hate Crime Bill Named for Gay Victim
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »
Supporters of hate-crimes legislation said Thursday they expect Congress to enact a law this year expanding federal penalties for acts of violence against homosexuals.

They have renamed their latest proposal in honor of Matthew Shepard, the gay college student who died after he was beaten and tied to a fence in Wyoming in 1998.

Lawmakers from both parties have pushed for a hate-crimes bill for nearly a decade. This year, however, supporters expect it will make it to President Bush partly because they consider Congress' new Democratic majority more sympathetic than its previous G.O.P. leaders.

By putting Shepard's name on the bill, "I believe we'll be more successful," said Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Ore., who is co-sponsoring the bill with Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

The measure would add protections based on sexual orientation or gender identity to existing laws that target violence because of race and religion.

"I can't think of a better way to honor Matthew's memory. He was a 21-year-old college student just living his life," said Shepard's mother Judy Shepard, who now heads a foundation in her son's name.

Asked about potential opposition from religious groups that disagree with homsexuality, Smith said that should not be a problem. "This act is about the prosecution of crime, not prohibition of speech," Smith said. "Unless they believe part of their religion is the practice of violence against others, they should not be affected by this bill."

Various versions of the hate crimes bill have passed the House or Senate in recent years, but have never reached the President.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Re: Hate Crime Bill Named for Gay Victim
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »

IT'S ABOUT TIME !
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Central79

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »
Yup. Too slow...
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:19:05 AM »
Maybe I'm coming from a point of ignorance here, but why do homosexuals need special hate crimes legislation? Aren't all acts of violence a crime anyway?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:17:32 AM »
Maybe I'm coming from a point of ignorance here, but why do homosexuals need special hate crimes legislation? Aren't all acts of violence a crime anyway?

You would think so and that is the argument used against this legislation. However, in most hate crime legislation homosexuality usually is excluded from the bill. This legislation would be a federal law that included homosexuals. It would increase the punishment of those who violate someone solely because of race or national origin, religion and now sexual orientation. In many states in the U.S. where sodomy is illegal it ain't illegal to kick a fag's ass if you come before the right judge.

So to answer your question, "why do homosexuals need special hate crime legislation?" Well my friend it's because homosexuals are so hated.

In the Matthew Shepard case the defense was Shepard came "on" to the two guys...so they left him tied to a fence beaten to death. You would be surprised to find (or maybe you wouldn't) many people who believe that is justifiable.

Offline jimw

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:01:08 AM »
Maybe I'm coming from a point of ignorance here, but why do homosexuals need special hate crimes legislation? ?

Why do we need hate crime legislation? Here is just a few examples:

Nicholas West was a native of Chile who had been adopted by
missionary parents who lived in Tyler, Texas. West was kidnapped, beaten, robbed and murdered because he was gay. The three men charged with his death bragged in their confessions to the police about killing him because he was gay.  The murder was first reported by the Texas Triangle, a gay weekly. It was picked up by the New York Times. Only after that did any Texas daily newspaper report on the crime.

Paul Broussard was beaten and stabbed to death in Houston on July 4, 1991, by 10 suburban youths.

Charlie Resendez was stomped to death two years ago in San Antonio. The killer left shoe prints on Resendez's face. The judge let him off on probation and I believe made the statement in court that if he had not been out cruising for homesexual sex it would not have happened (if I have this case wrong someone please correct me.)

That is why we need hate crime legislation!!!!

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
thanks for the clarification Hal and jimw.

man, some people in some of your states suck.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.