HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Driving me Crazy!!

(1/6) > >>

Dollar:
During vacation last feb. I ended having sex with a co-worker. Since them, my fears for getting something are been getting bigger and bigger.
At first my fear was about STD's and later HIV became and issue. I was so worry that the very next day after we had sex  i had the runs and also no appetite.
Its been almost 8 weeks and im still having problems with my stomach. I dont know if is because the anxiety or is because a hiv infection. Also i feel some kind of weird pain in my neck and armpit.
I have to say that i was using a condom during sex. But in some moment (have to be at the end) the condom broke and i may have been expose for a short time.
I asked the girl about her status, and she told me she was tested last december and she was negative.
Anyways i asked her to take a test again.
Also, a week after this episode with the girl. I went to my doctor and asked him for an Elisa. After two weeks the results came back negative...but that doesn't help me because i took the test only a week after having sex with this girl.
I have another appoinment with my doctor in two months, and he request another elisa...im so afraid of the result. Its been the most horrible 8 weeks of my life. Please help me.

Ann:
Dollar,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. While you did have a slight risk, you were protected for most of the time. I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative.

You don't need to wait two more months. A test at three months is conclusive. You also don't have to test through your GP, you can find a clinic that will do a rapid test at three months by going here: HIV testing center database, and entering your zip code.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

And by the way, symptoms or even the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. ONLY testing will reliably reveal your hiv status. Your stomach problem sounds like stress to me, but get it checked out by your doctor.

Ann

Dollar:
Ann:

I just wanna thank you for everything you do in this forum. I have been reading a lot of posts and you are always there, ready to help everybody.
Thanks again for answer me. I know only a test would give me a real and definitive answer,  but you (your words) made me feel a little better in this horribles days.

Dollar:
The girl is going to the doctor today and she is taking a test. Hopefully everything is fine with her. That will give me a lot of peace

Andy Velez:
Dollar, hopefully your friend will test negative. I'm sure that will be very reassuring to you.

But there's an important issue for you to be aware about. YOU are the one responsible for your health. In relation to any circumstance which was risky, you need your own test result, not someone elses.

As far as the particular incident you are concerned about during which the condom broke at some point, the risk for you was very low. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to transmit from female to male. But low risk is not the same as no risk. So I recommend you get your own test done. The CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks after a possible exposure. 

I certainly expect you will be negative but that's not the same as getting an actual test result.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version